Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently noticed moisture in my 2014 MDX drivers side headlight. Dealer confirmed, and said the seal is bad. Apparently they cannot fix the seal so the only solution is to replace the entire headlamp which costs about $1500.

It is past the 4 year/50k mile standard warranty since my vehicle has about 67k miles on it. I have the Acura Care service contract, but that does not cover it.

Called Honda/Acura to open a complaint and they are willing to split the cost with me, so that I would pay $750. The headlamp is still functioning fine.

Anyone have any recommendations or heard of such a thing?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Had mine done

Had exact same problem, had mine done under warranty a couple years ago. I would escalate the issue- this was a known issue with the headlights and they had to replace many under warranty. If there is no sign of physical damage (cracked, etc) sounds like it's the usual headlight manufacturer defect. As a fallback, if I couldn't get them to replace it, I would live with it if it wasn't too bad. Just my own opinion- the MDX headlights are very bright to begin with.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Might also want to check salvage yards for a replacement.... No idea if this is possible, but might be worth trying.

·
Registered
2015 MDX
192 Posts
This was a common problem on the 2nd generation Lexus RX. DIY minded owners with expired warranties would remove the headlight and add clear caulk around the seam between the clear cover and the headlight housing. If Acura doesn't come through for you, I would give that a try before spending $400+ on a replacement.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a vacuum pump from Harbor Freight. ~$65 on sale.

I think you could seal the headlight with urethane sealant available from a auto glass replacement shop. You'd need to make a "bung" for the vacuum pump to attach to. Add sealant all the way around the light to reflector seam. Draw a vacuum and hold it for an hour or so. Should draw the sealant into the leaky seam and give it time to set up. Would also evaporate any moisture due to the vacuum.

Alternatively you could pressurize the light (low pressure only, like 5 psi) and listen to the seam and find the leak. Remove pressure. Seal. Allow to cure.

Alternatively - do these headlights snap together (lens and reflector)? Take it apart, clean it and seal it, reassemble while the urethane is still soft.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts