Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, My friend recently sold his 2016 MDX Base which had 18in wheels and I am planning to buy his wheels. I have a 2014 MDX Base which has 18inch wheels. But my tires are 245/60/18 while his tires were 255/55/18. Now really confused if my tires fit on his wheels. Wheel says 18in 5*114.3. His wheels are already fitted with OEM TPMS which saves me some money than buying an after market.

Please let me know if this is not an issue, also will the TPMS work by itself or should I get them reprogrammed?

PS: This thread is also posted in Wheels forum.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
What's the width of his wheels? Rolling diameter is about 0.5" difference if it's also 8" wide wheels so it's not significant. Contact patch is obviously wider with 255 vs 245 and that is also likely the reason for the sidewall decrease.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Need to know what's the width of his wheels but likely yes

Thanks, Here are the details.

Bolt Pattern 2:
5-114.3 mm

Wheel Width:
8 in

Wheel Diameter:
18 in

Offset:
40 mm

Backside Spacing:
6.07 in

Hub Bore:
72.62 mm

Centre Bore Diameter:

Bolt Hole Diameter:
28.6 mm

Lug Nut Seating Angle:

Seating Base:
13.97 mm

Centricity:
LugCentric

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Ok then yup 255/55 should technically fit. 245s are generally the max for 8 inch rims but you will have compensated a bit by going down in sidewall. Offset at 40 will mean it pushes out toward the fender edge, so that will look better but keep in mind that you will experience a more but rock chips over time.

Now for the question about pragmatism of this swap. Are you planning to dismount your current tires to put on his rims? Are his tires already dismounted? What's the life on your tires? Tpms should sync up just fine after a few miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok then yup 255/55 should technically fit. 245s are generally the max for 8 inch rims but you will have compensated a bit by going down in sidewall. Offset at 40 will mean it pushes out toward the fender edge, so that will look better but keep in mind that you will experience a more but rock chips over time.

Now for the question about pragmatism of this swap. Are you planning to dismount your current tires to put on his rims? Are his tires already dismounted? What's the life on your tires? Tpms should sync up just fine after a few miles.

Thanks, just called in local Acura dealership and they confirmed I can use the wheels. He sold his car and just have wheels left that he was selling. But when I asked about the tire size to confirm, it was 255/55/18 while mine are 245/60/18. Looks like I can use them and thanks for all your help. I can just swap my summer tires on them and keep the old stock ones for winter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts