Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts
Seriously don't overlook the GMC Yukon. My father has one fully loaded and it has been rock solid for 125k. A coworkers wife has 150k on her second one and the first one they traded in at 225k. I drive my fathers 2x a year and I am always impressed with it.

My only drawback on the MDX is that I have been driving one for 11 years and am ready for a change. That said, it has been essentially 11 problem free years.

if its not broke, don't fix it :) but see where your coming from.

you change and it you have problems, your may wish you didn't switch.

For people complaining about '14 MDX touch screen. You gotta keep in mind it has a learning curve. If you get the time, sit down and try to figure it out. I remember one review saying to turn on the seat warmers you had to press more buttons (on the touch screen). But maybe doing it so many times it becomes natural? Only current owners can chime in on their feel for it. I'm waiting on a long term review :D

I think Tesla Model X should be considered. If Model S is an indication, Tesla SUV could become a serious player in luxury segment. 7 passengers, plenty of cargo space, and high tech gadgets. If it offers a similar high tech safety system as MDX advance, I would get one. My wife wants me to put in a deposit for one. :)

I think Tesla Model X should be considered. If Model S is an indication, Tesla SUV could become a serious player in luxury segment. 7 passengers, plenty of cargo space, and high tech gadgets. If it offers a similar high tech safety system as MDX advance, I would get one. My wife wants me to put in a deposit for one. :)

With a sticker price of near 100G for the AWD fully loaded version, according to reports I read, I would wait to see how this whole operation with Tesla sorts out in the first few years. It does sound interesting nonetheless but wow...near 100G!

I posted aboout my beloved 2007 MDX tech & entertainment. I sold it yesterday. The buyer had it taken to the acura dealership and it passed the 150 point inspection all but a recall that I missed which they are doing for free. It was a great car. I am kicking myself that I sold it. I disliked immensely the new redesign and like another poster waited patiently for it. I ended up buying safety and went with an suv that I need but am not excited about receiving like when I bought my 07 mdx. I went with the Volvo redesigned XC-60 loaded. Just not excited and it will be here in 2 weeks. I should have just kept my MDX. Never a problem and after driving it amost 7 years it looks brand new with 53,000 mi on it. I sold it for 24,500 and again am kicking myself.

have you test driven the new MDX? If so what did you think of it.

Yes, I took it on a short test drive and was very very impressed.

Several hurdles I will have to over come are 1) It will be 12 years in a MDX so something different would be refreshing (or opening me up to another brands problems), 2) I want the Advance features but these are in short supply and I do not want the entertainment system (don't need it, don't want it, don't want to pay for it) and 3) I am seriously considering a diesel for the next vehicle (Q7, ML350 or X5.

A week after the test drive I stopped at Carmax and got a good price for my MDX. I sent my wife to Acura of Berlin with a build with the options I wanted and for her to test drive. The sales manager presented an offer so offensive she did not even take it for a drive. MSRP plus the options priced from the Acura website plus labor to install, plus conveyance fee less $150.

If they had been reasonable I might have moved on one. Instead I will keep the current one at least until the 2015s are out

If they had been reasonable I might have moved on one. Instead I will keep the current one at least until the 2015s are out
Giving up a little too quick. I ordered my Advance the day after the release and got $500 below MSRP. Others have gotten $1000 or more below MSRP. Just go to another dealer (if you are serious).

Btw I would have taken the test drive, knowing I wouldn't buy it because of the lousy price. They waste my time with a lousy offer? I'll waste their time with a test drive with no intent to buy (from them).

Giving up a little too quick. I ordered my Advance the day after the release and got $500 below MSRP. Others have gotten $1000 or more below MSRP. Just go to another dealer (if you are serious).

Btw I would have taken the test drive, knowing I wouldn't buy it because of the lousy price. They waste my time with a lousy offer? I'll waste their time with a test drive with no intent to buy (from them).
Not giving up nor wasting my time on a vehicle not configured the way i want it.

I did test drive. My wife did not. I was not all that serious since I am holding onto mine to 200,000 but I might of if they made a good offer and i was willing to compromise on the trim. The offer was on a Tech which was a compromise from what I wanted which is the Advaned with out an entertainment system which I found out is not available. That said as I indicated in my other post i will not buy a car with an entertainment system (don't want it, don't need it, and don't want to pay for it). So no Advance for me in the current configuration. Perhaps in 2015 Acura will come out with an Advance without the entertainment system but I doubt it.

Maybe. They have some nice features that Acura doesn't offer too though. I personally don't like the smartkeys....have had it four times now and really wish it wasn't gaining popularity.
Really because I can't think of any. They are seriously lacking. I have owned one, have sold them for a year, and everyone in my town drives one because we don't have acura bmw mercedes or audi here. They are junk, underpowered appliances.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Yes, Randy, you said it. There's a Discover owner "self-help" forum (landroverforums.com) I'm frequently on, and it's definitely a love-hate relationship at times.

I just re-read my original post, and need to make an important correction: we've had the Discovery for over 10 years, and have never had a problem with the rear "barn" door. As for the truck itself, well, it's been an adventure ;) It's an absolutely fantastic truck when it's working, but it'll have you crying when you're working on problems.

Seriously, though, it might be worth (just for fun) checking out the LR4. Everything I've read states that most of the gremlins have been squashed. And... like I said, when a Land Rover is running properly, they're awesome!

GX460 would be my second choice though (kind-of wish I'd gone that route instead of the MDX)

RedAustinIX (Ed)
I 2nd the Land Rover LR4 recommendation. I went from a 2002 and 2005 MDX to a 2010 LR4, and just traded it for a 2013. Both LR4s have been flawless. The LR4 and LR3 before it have been around for a while and the reliability is very good. I understand that perceptions take a long time to change. The LR4 is a nice step up from the MDX in fit, finish, and capability, and the 3rd row can fit adults. There's no getting around the poor gas mileage. BTW, landroverworld.org is a much more active forum.

Third MDX or x3

I was looking forward to trading '10 MDX Tech/Ent for the new '14. After test drive and reviewing forum, I find myself looking at options. Looks like Honda is having some problems not typical of this brand. Software problems, lower specs on Nav screen, hidden exhaust (looks like a minivan from rear), sticking with 6-spd. auto (what other premium brand has not moved to 7 or 8 speed years ago?), mobile lockout on phone/nav. Positive changes IMO are weight reduction, mileage, LEDs, better stylng (especially wheels on tech), still best AWD in the market, noise reduction, direct injection (although late to market, and mated with dated 6-speed), great resale, and (at least on my ,08 and '10) are trouble-free.
I've decided 3rd row not mandatory, which opens options. After considering many, the BMW x3 35i as the one that may move me away from Acura. I'll wait for the mid-model update this summer, then decide. The x3 is a rocket (0-60 in 5.5) with same mileage as new MDX, but has gobs of low-end torque. I've had 4 bimmers, and my experience has been trouble-free. I guess I have 4 mos. to decide!

I've now owned both the 2014 MDX Technology Package and the 2014 Audi Q7 TDI Premium Plus. I would have to say the fit and finish on the Q7 is even nicer than the MDX (not that the MDX is bad). But for 10K more, I expect that. The user interface on the 2014 MDX is dreadfully slow compared to the Q7. I now never have to wait for screens to load or voice commands to generate, it is super fast. Acura could learn from that. Also, I love the panoramic roof. It's truly awesome.
There are a few things that Acura does better. Access to the 3rd row is slightly easier on the MDX and there is a little more hidden storage on the MDX.
While I liked the MDX, I love the Q7. It's amazing to drive and quality of the materials are a class above the MDX (real wood, more leather, etc.). If anyone else is as unhappy as I was with the 2014 MDX, the Q7 is a really nice step up.

Discussion starter · #38 ·
LD, thanks for posting a comparison in the correct thread. Good luck with your Audi.

If the remainder of the gallery wishes to retort in such witty conversation as the posts I just deleted, I invite all of you to find a chat room on another site and have it out there.

I am so tired of reading reported posts from numerous members and I have to spend my time editing these threads over such ridiculous banter.
Please give me a break.

Randy B

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Just rented a base JX35/QX60 for 4 days while on vacation. My impressions:

1) The interior in the Infiniti is nicer than my 2014 ADV in many ways. Real wood, stitched material on dash, more thickly padded seats, more passenger room with significantly better driver's legroom. Having said that, the MDX has much better interior storage. Also, 3rd row access is easier in the MDX.

2) Absence of bluetooth audio was an annoyance (and there is no AUX input). Couldn't really compare other tech features, as we were given a base model.

3) The MDX accelerates and handles better, while somehow managing to have a much more supple and comfortable ride. All of this while delivering better fuel economy. This combination of attributes in the Acura is a major engineering coup for the class, and in my opinion more than offsets any other disadvantages for the MDX vis a vis the competition.

My son is getting taller by the second. We have a 2013 MDX and need more 2nd row legroom. Can you tell me if the Q7 has more second row legroom when the 1st row is in a comfortable position for adults? Thanks

I've now owned both the 2014 MDX Technology Package and the 2014 Audi Q7 TDI Premium Plus. I would have to say the fit and finish on the Q7 is even nicer than the MDX (not that the MDX is bad). But for 10K more, I expect that. The user interface on the 2014 MDX is dreadfully slow compared to the Q7. I now never have to wait for screens to load or voice commands to generate, it is super fast. Acura could learn from that. Also, I love the panoramic roof. It's truly awesome.
There are a few things that Acura does better. Access to the 3rd row is slightly easier on the MDX and there is a little more hidden storage on the MDX.
While I liked the MDX, I love the Q7. It's amazing to drive and quality of the materials are a class above the MDX (real wood, more leather, etc.). If anyone else is as unhappy as I was with the 2014 MDX, the Q7 is a really nice step up.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.