Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
90,000 miles on 2014 MDX. ( Bought it new end of July 2013). Maintenance recommends 105,000 miles or 7 years. Have had some intermittent noises last few months , dealer diagnosed as noise coming from timing belt on an earlier service a few months ago. Suggested replacing TB now ( with the water pump, spark plugs, tensioner belt, as per recommended at same time ) . Not sure if will hold on to the MDX or keep it another year or two. Otherwise has been quite reliable, no other issues other than normal wear and tear items ( Had previous 2009 MDX , also no real issues ) . Do buyers of used cars really care if TB has been replaced? Will I be able to recoup some of my $?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Do buyers of used cars really care if TB has been replaced?
I definitely would care and would proactively find out it if was replaced or not on a used vehicle in this mileage range but I'm sure there's a large percentage of potential buyers who have no clue that a timing belt exists, don't know what it is, certainly don't know what it does, and have never heard of it before.

If it was me I'd probably wait until the 105K to replace it unless there's some certain issue with it and I wouldn't be convinced the tech really knows the noise was due to the timing belt. I say this about waiting since I'm sure when they determined the 105K as the time to replace it they were conservative and most would go much longer than that.

The other way to look at it is - will you keep the vehicle longer than the 105K point anyway? If so then doing the work now rather than at the 105K mark isn't going to cost you any more money than you'll end up spending anyway.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I am usually weary of cars around 100k if they are timing belt engines. For some reason, people seem inclined to just still the car instead of doing the service. I tend to skip the ones that don't have records of them being done or try to negotiate the cost out if it.

But keep in mind, mdxstang and i are both diy people and many folks might not even know to ask about it.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Do buyers of used cars really care if TB has been replaced?
I for one do, I would never buy a used Honda/Acura that has the TB overdue and it doesn´t have a change record..
For me Is it: Prove me it has been changed or be prepared for a 1000dll reduction in price.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I for one do, I would never buy a used Honda/Acura that has the TB overdue and it doesn´t have a change record..
For me Is it: Prove me it has been changed or be prepared for a 1000dll reduction in price.
Same for me.

As a general rule, you never get "more" money for maintaining your vehicle... However, a reasonable/savvy buyer should deduct from their offer to cover missed maintenance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live in Toronto, canada, so generally costs are more expensive here than in the USA , but in US $ , around $1000 for new timing belt, water pump, tensioner and spark plugs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Like the others, if I were looking at a 100k mile vehicle I would certainly care if the timing belt had been done. But then, I would imagine almost anyone who joins an automotive forum like this one is going to care about the timing belt.

·
Registered
713 Posts
unless someone can show me a dealer receipt for the work done and parts I make the assumption it has not been done. If a DIY guy does it then I need some evidence of their abilities because usually DIY people don't just install a timing belt and sell the car. 109K is low mileage to a DIY.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did you go ahead and have the TB replaced? How much did it cost?
I’m wondering why my dealership service advisor is recommending I replace my TB on my ‘15 A/E with 65,000 miles. Mostly highway driving in Florida so it doesn’t fit the manual’s recommendation: “If you drive regularly in very high temperatures (over 110°F, 43°C), in very low temperatures (under -20°F, -29°C), or tow a trailer, replace every 60,000 miles/100,000 km.”
At only 3-1/2 years and 65k miles- it’s nowhere near the 7 year/ 105,000 mi interval - so I’m thinking of holding off on the TB replacement for a while.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Some good advice here already.

If you suspect you are going to sell it you can take the risk that someone may not know. The last car I sold I had to prove I did the timing belt which I was easily able to because I had all the receipts and service receipt. So I suspect if I couldn’t they would have negotiated down or moved on. These days with research readily accessible I suspect most people will ask.

You can buy this kit and have a local independent shop do the belt. It will be a lot cheaper than bringing it to the dealer
For this service.

Aisin TKH-002 Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008EEYTRE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_vsj3AbZD8B9QR

·
Registered
713 Posts
Did you go ahead and have the TB replaced? How much did it cost?
I’m wondering why my dealership service advisor is recommending I replace my TB on my ‘15 A/E with 65,000 miles. Mostly highway driving in Florida so it doesn’t fit the manual’s recommendation: “If you drive regularly in very high temperatures (over 110°F, 43°C), in very low temperatures (under -20°F, -29°C), or tow a trailer, replace every 60,000 miles/100,000 km.”
At only 3-1/2 years and 65k miles- it’s nowhere near the 7 year/ 105,000 mi interval - so I’m thinking of holding off on the TB replacement for a while.
The old interval on cars back in the 1970's was around 60K miles. Sounds like your dealer might be overly zealous. Many Service Underwriters get paid some form of bonus or commission on the business they write so be aware he/she may be reaching into your wallet. IMHO get a second opinion if you are that concerned.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts