Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am experiencing the exact same symptoms on my Canadian 2014 elite the past few months. I have reported this to my Service advisor twice and of course they came back with unreproducible symptoms. I have about 400kms left before my warranty expires.

Does anybody have a sure way of reproducing this rpm flutter. I have tried it many times with my phone in one hand to try and capture the event but unsuccessful. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Acura/Honda uses uncoated/protected parts underneath (and inside). Salty moisture from the sea gets pretty far as long as the wind carries it. SD is pretty flat lol. BIG contrast from my Subaru, where everything was coated to protect from rust (even the bolts that don't get blasted by road dirt particles lasted now for about 11 years, of which 6 were spent going to the snow [yes, I know we don't salt here in CA]).

On a semi-related note, it looks like the 16+ 9ZF TC is integrated into the unit and relatively small! Only good for 290 ft lbs i believe.

The MDX ZF uses the 9HP48 good for 350lb ft.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Also the I once talked to a Transmission Rebuilder and it said that the common TC issues with Honda and Acura cars comes from the Clutch Lock pad Materials.. He said that you will often see in a Honda TC that the Clutch Material for the Lock Up has been worn out too fast, this is because Honda TC Lock logic is supposedly too aggressive trying to lock the TC as fast as it can so it has to cycle too much when the driver feels the Lock and the engine bogs down at a low speed, driver presses the gas to disable TC lock up and start over again and again.

This happens more often in FULL AUTO.. So I would try to stick with SS (Manual Shifting) or Sport Mode so the Lock Up does not happen that frequently... I never had any issues with Honda or Acura TCs.

·
Registered
316 Posts
What Skirmich says sounds logical. You only need to flush trans when there is too much particles or contaminants mixed in the oil, thus causing performance issues. If materials are being worn off, that will wear out the TC. There is very little clutch materials on there. And the TSB says that deteriorated fluid is the cause. Somehow a software update will make the fluid last longer? Jury is out on this.........

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
It should.. If they can Tailor the TC lock up logic via software to be more reasonable (Ex, Lock it up very little at City Speeds and Lock it up more at Top Gears) it should in theory make the ATF Last Longer since it will get contaminated less.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Had my Gen 1 tranny program updated at about 100K miles 7 years old. It took them that long to figure out it was a poor program. It used to lug down to 1300-1400 rpm in top (5th) gear in lockup mode before it would downshift. The re-program was better, but still not right. At least in the Gen 1 you could just put it in D4 to keep it from being stupid under 55 mph.

Wish that the '14 had that ability. The SS mode is almost useless.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I sure would like to see what the fluid looks and smells like when they drain it. Im sure no one ever will. If anyone has the "juddering" issue, take the dipstick out and smell the fluid. Looking for a burnt smell and if its brownish in color.

·
Registered
44 Posts
This thread very helpful to me. I have 2015 MDX Adv Ent with 59K miles on it. Started feeling same symptoms as described above. Brought car into local dealer with email describing all I was experiencing. I also found TSB 16-044 and 16-062 online. The dealer says he has dealt with hundreds of these things. All but a few have been corrected with the a single ATF flush repair and software reprogramming. These select few (he says less than 5) have required another ATF flush repair and software update approximately 5K miles later. None have needed the torque converter replaced since these TSB have come out according to the service manager. Hope this information helps someone else out there.....

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m Experiencing the same issues on my 2015 MDX I guess my question is if the previous owner Neglected to change the ATF fluid Could it have damage the torque converter? Honda says the torque converter is not the issue it’s the ATF fluid is breaking down. I’ve taken it to two Acura dealerships and both dealerships that told me there’s no issue. After multiple updates and transmission flushes they finally replaced motor mounts, but did not fix the issue or the problem. Car is still under warranty and has 116000 miles. Wife loves the car but hates the problem, we just want it fixed.

·
Registered
622 Posts
probably not but at 116,000 miles you will start getting wear in things don't you think? Make sure that the ATF is flushed in the trans, and the software up to date by an Acura Dealer. You indicate you are having the same issue but there are several issues in this thread. As a professional troubleshooter of mechanical, electrical and electronic items, my suggestion is that you consider being careful self diagnosing issues. Get the Service Manager to assign a mechanic to you so your wife can show him what is bothering her. Ever consider that maybe she just thinks it is time for a new car?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have had a 2014 MDX for about 4 years now, bought it used around 25000 miles. Around 35000 miles we started noticing issues with rough gear shifting, judder around the 1500 RPM which has been described on here. After multiple trips to the dealer we had the transmission and torque converter replaced by the dealer around 45,000 miles. At around 60K we were complaining to dealer that the problem was surfacing again, now we're at 80,000 miles and we are out of warranty. Rough shifting issue has gotten really bad again, about the same as when we had the initial replacement. Now of course dealer is saying we have no more warranty coverage on our transmission. Has anyone had any success getting Acura to replace TC/transmission after warranty period? Also, has anyone had any hard failures while driving, or is this just a nuisance more than a safety concern?

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Have you tried to just do a 3x drain and refill of the atf? The atf is cheap enough to warrant an attempt. Many owners are going to shorter change intervals to prevent this from happening.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
253 Posts
This thread very helpful to me. I have 2015 MDX Adv Ent with 59K miles on it. Started feeling same symptoms as described above. Brought car into local dealer with email describing all I was experiencing. I also found TSB 16-044 and 16-062 online. The dealer says he has dealt with hundreds of these things. All but a few have been corrected with the a single ATF flush repair and software reprogramming. These select few (he says less than 5) have required another ATF flush repair and software update approximately 5K miles later. None have needed the torque converter replaced since these TSB have come out according to the service manager. Hope this information helps someone else out there.....
I am experiencing the same issue as this guy described in his email, but I had the TC changed also the 3x flush, I will do a drain and fill myself see if the issue goes away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The dealer did the 3x flush before they decided to replace the TC and transmission. Has anyone seen an improvement by sticking to the shorter change ATF? Curious if irreparable damage has already been done at this point since I am already experiencing the symptoms.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The dealer did the 3x flush before they decided to replace the TC and transmission. Has anyone seen an improvement by sticking to the shorter change ATF? Curious if irreparable damage has already been done at this point since I am already experiencing the symptoms.
I can give you the answer by this Saturday, just got the oil last week, will do a drain and fill this weekend. it's only 10 months after the 3x flush, and I only put around 10k during this time frame, my tranny oil is light red turning to light brown, anyway, I will let you know overt he weekend.

·
Registered
886 Posts

FWIW, my '14 has 73K miles on it with no problems. Because I tow a travel trailer, and know from decades of working on Honda/Acura products both at dealerships and my own repair shop, I do a single change every year, which equates to 12K miles on average. I am due for my usual Fall service, and can just feel a bit of erratic shifting from time-to-time, so I know it's Fluid Time.

My experience is that when you catch it early, fluid changes alone can almost always stop the progression of transmission damage, because the new fluid restores the additive package (particularly friction modifiers) in the ATF. Once damage becomes obvious from various symptoms, it is less likely that the fluid change alone will stop the decline in performance.

That said, the 3X fluid change is under a hundred bucks if you do it yourself, and certainly worth a try, IMO.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts