Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took my 2014 MDX Tech in because the RPM's would bounce around while accelerating and sometimes during cruise between 1500-3000 RPM. After two days the dealer says it was the torque converter and they have replaced it. The car only has 40,000 miles on it. Anyone have any thoughts on this one, the rep said they replace about 1 in every 2000-3000 of this model. Thought?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I just took my 2014 MDX Tech in because the RPM's would bounce around while accelerating and sometimes during cruise between 1500-3000 RPM. After two days the dealer says it was the torque converter and they have replaced it. The car only has 40,000 miles on it. Anyone have any thoughts on this one, the rep said they replace about 1 in every 2000-3000 of this model. Thought?
I have a '14 Tech AWD and was noticing this yesterday on a 4 hour road trip. Doesn't bounce around at all while accelerating but definitely did a little when cruising at about 2500rpm (jumped down to 15-1600 without shifting).

It was odd.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Been there with a 2010 that did the same thing but it was very noticeable and at about 20,000 miles they replaced the torque converter and it fixed the problem.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Exact same issue. 500 RPM tach flutter, can feel the car rock back and forth on light throttle 1.5 - 3k RPM. This car has had so many problems, lol. 2014 AWD Tech.

It's in right now, no diag yet.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Well, the dealer felt it. At least no "no problem noticed".

Dealer is keeping the car, Acura engineers want it datalogged.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well, the dealer felt it. At least no "no problem noticed".

Dealer is keeping the car, Acura engineers want it datalogged.
See, I don't think they'd feel it in mine. Happens once a week a max. Keep us posted on what it is. They give you a '16 loaner?

·
Registered
1 Posts
See, I don't think they'd feel it in mine. Happens once a week a max. Keep us posted on what it is. They give you a '16 loaner?
My 2014 with 50,000 miles is at the dealer for the exact same issue. RPM flutters around 1500 RPM and vehicle starts to rock back and forth. Issue started around 15,000 miles and I've brought it in 3 times before with no corrective action. This trip I was able to get Service Manager & Tech in the car with me and he felt it. Torque converter is being replaced today.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My 2014 with 50,000 miles is at the dealer for the exact same issue. RPM flutters around 1500 RPM and vehicle starts to rock back and forth. Issue started around 15,000 miles and I've brought it in 3 times before with no corrective action. This trip I was able to get Service Manager & Tech in the car with me and he felt it. Torque converter is being replaced today.
Crazy, looks like this failure is coming out of the woodwork. Our car currently has 47.5k miles. Started noticing it at 35k but it was more infrequent and thought it was bad gas or something.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Do a Google search on Acura Torque converter problems and you will find a bunch of stuff. This has been going on for years.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Do a Google search on Acura Torque converter problems and you will find a bunch of stuff. This has been going on for years.
I noticed this as well when i was researching the MDX. The zf9 gave me some hope that they used a zf provided tc, but i haven't been able to verify such.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
Car is done, will post image of Repair Order after wife picks it up.

No problem found.

Just kidding. New torque converter. I hope they did a good job.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Wife says it shifts DRASTICALLY different. Like brand new. Hope the trans wasn't damaged by the converter being hosed. I am going to start changing the trans fluid every 15k. They also found the rear engine mount was deteriorated. They replaced that. 3 year old car and this wore out? I live in San Diego. No salted roads or inclement weather, and I live 15 miles inland. How did THAT go bad? Geez. I think I am going to buy the extended warranty right before I hit 50k. I won't be able to afford this thing breaking.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Wife says it shifts DRASTICALLY different. Like brand new. Hope the trans wasn't damaged by the converter being hosed. I am going to start changing the trans fluid every 15k. They also found the rear engine mount was deteriorated. They replaced that. 3 year old car and this wore out? I live in San Diego. No salted roads or inclement weather, and I live 15 miles inland. How did THAT go bad? Geez. I think I am going to buy the extended warranty right before I hit 50k. I won't be able to afford this thing braking.

Acura/Honda uses uncoated/protected parts underneath (and inside). Salty moisture from the sea gets pretty far as long as the wind carries it. SD is pretty flat lol. BIG contrast from my Subaru, where everything was coated to protect from rust (even the bolts that don't get blasted by road dirt particles lasted now for about 11 years, of which 6 were spent going to the snow [yes, I know we don't salt here in CA]).

On a semi-related note, it looks like the 16+ 9ZF TC is integrated into the unit and relatively small! Only good for 290 ft lbs i believe.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Guys, a TSB came out that may match your symptoms: http://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-third-generation-mdx-2014-present/91865-tsbs-2014-mdx-4.html#post1185513

It turns out the Honda tranny fluid is not performing as expected and is deteriorating faster, causing a judder to occur. Honda hasn't finished the programming part of the TSB, but recommends doing a tranny flush to resolve the issue for now.
Is this something the dealer will do at no charge? Because I know transmission fluid change is a part of maintenence program

1 - 20 of 40 Posts