Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I purchased a CPO 2014 Acura MDX w/Tech package last week.
I think i have an issue with the bluetooth of this car.
I am able to connect my phone without issues but there is a very noticable lag.
i was using google maps and the first few words were getting lost and it was very confusing.
also the audio(songs) streamed from phone seem to be very low quality, i feel only the front speakers are working, but quality of music from ipod is great.
i have had a 2010 mdx tech and i know that blue tooth audio streaming works well. the performance i get from this 2014 is subpar.
i found some random complains on google but i thought this was the best forum to ask for advice .

if anyone faces this problem or has had in past and know the solution please respond
thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Just a fyi, it's easier for us 3G (2014+) owners to find and answer you if you ask in the subforum.

Now onto your problem. Yes, this is a well known issue with ALL MDXes and unfortunately is about a 3 second delay that Acura has repeatedly told us they have no plans to fix. This affects Honda vehicles that have Alpine head units. The only thing we can do to mitigate this for navigation is to have the navi apps relay the navigation instructions over the phone speaker phone instead (Waze and Google maps both have this option).

Part of the problem is how inundated the cpu is and also how Honda coded the data for the BT protocol. The older head units did not have as much data to process so they handled loads just fine, but this generation has too much running for its own good.

That's about all we have. I have gotten a few software updates over the time and none of them have resolved it and i have called the guys who handle issues with our head unit and they confirmed twice over two years that they have no plans to resolve it.

What has happened since though is that Acura has an updated head unit for the 18 TLX that fixes so many issues with the head unit, but Honda does not have a healthy track record of fixing such issues on existing units unless there are potential safety issues as well. Not too mention, many of the fixes seem to need hardware revisions.

They did release a fix for the 14 and 15 head units back on the day that addressed a number of complaints, but most of the issues still exist.

Sorry to be a downer.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply,
pls let me know which sub forum this should be posted in.
audio delay is fine, but is the sound quality also dismal?? or is it something wrong with my mdx.
really disappointed at my purchase :(
was considering a q7 may be should have gone with it instead...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Is the sound dismal for FM or satellite broadcasts too? Our stereo was "meh" until the DTS Neural Sound is switched on. I think that is the name. Am not sitting in the vehicle so I can't guarantee the setting name.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am just comparing it with my 2010 and it is subpar for sure.
i will check all settings later today, even FM isnt impressive or ipod, though definetly better than bluetooth, as with bluetooth i feel sound comes just from a few speakers and not all ten

·
Registered
52 Posts
Look at page 151 of the Navigation Owner's Manual. You want to turn on the DTS Neural Surround and see if that improves the sound to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tx for the reply.
i did turn it on and sound is better now
also to my surpise when i was streaming audio along with google maps, it all came through fine,
just google maps by itself seem to not work well, as the first word gets lost or cut halfway and i get half the instructions :D

so streaming music along with maps seems to work somehow, i have no clue why, i will try it out few more times and confirm this theory

1 - 8 of 8 Posts