Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends,
I have 2014 MDX Tech, I got an email from Acura to update my map and navi with 2016 DVD cost $150.
Is this an good option??

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Friends,
I have 2014 MDX Tech, I got an email from Acura to update my map and navi with 2016 DVD cost $150.
Is this an good option??

TIA

Have you updated the maps before? If you wait awhile.the price could drop. Personally,I use a Garmin GPS. The maps updates are free. You could pay $150 and find that the latest road changes are still not there. Only you can decide if it's worth the money.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I have a 2014 as well. Whenever I received a communication from Acura regarding the map update it's been for a $99 special price. I think the $150 is the full, non-discounted, anytime price so that's 'not' a good deal. You'll probably receive the $99 offer eventually.

I haven't actually ever purchased an update and never will. Even an outdated map still has probably 99% of the roads on it so I'm not concerned about some newer roads missing. I'm also fundamentally opposed to the idea of paying this amount of money (or any amount) just to do an update to an already expensive Nav system that was purchased. Mobile phones and standalone Nav devices like a Garmin seem to manage to provide lifetime no-cost updates even though something like a Garmin is substantially less expensive than the built-in Nav. The auto manufacturers need to get with the program and move beyond their revenue schemes of a decade ago.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I have a 2014 as well. Whenever I received a communication from Acura regarding the map update it's been for a $99 special price. I think the $150 is the full, non-discounted, anytime price so that's 'not' a good deal. You'll probably receive the $99 offer eventually.

I haven't actually ever purchased an update and never will. Even an outdated map still has probably 99% of the roads on it so I'm not concerned about some newer roads missing. I'm also fundamentally opposed to the idea of paying this amount of money (or any amount) just to do an update to an already expensive Nav system that was purchased. Mobile phones and standalone Nav devices like a Garmin seem to manage to provide lifetime no-cost updates even though something like a Garmin is substantially less expensive than the built-in Nav. The auto manufacturers need to get with the program and move beyond their revenue schemes of a decade ago.
I basically agree. Except every so often a new bypass or ramp is built that could make a major difference in your route. It happens in Florida.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I updated one and there were still roads in my area that had been there over 5 years not on the update. I really didn't see where the update was worth the money.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Sadly, getting an "updated" DVD from Acura/HERE is the only way to update the factory Nav maps. The DVD resides in the unit. Sometimes the update will include a separate DVD with an installer that updates the infotainment system software, but the 2014 MDX is stuck at a different version than later models, presumably due to changes in the hardware. So you need to be sure you get the right version of the DVD for your vehicle and model year. For 2014 MDX this is the "Brown" DVD.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
every so often a new bypass or ramp is built that could make a major difference in your route
That's true and there'll always be some exposure to missing out on newly constructed/routed roads but from what people post here getting a 'new' update doesn't necessarily help tremendously since they seem to sometimes omit roads that have been in place for multiple years. My point was that even though I do occasionally drive on fairly new roadways, 99% of the time, including on cross country trips and in various urban/suburban/rural areas across the country, it'll be on roadways that have been in place for a long time and typically would be covered by the existing software. A new housing development would be excluded of course but even then, there's no guarantee that the update that was released well after the development was in place will actually have that development's roads coded in it.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
That's true and there'll always be some exposure to missing out on newly constructed/routed roads but from what people post here getting a 'new' update doesn't necessarily help tremendously since they seem to sometimes omit roads that have been in place for multiple years. My point was that even though I do occasionally drive on fairly new roadways, 99% of the time, including on cross country trips and in various urban/suburban/rural areas across the country, it'll be on roadways that have been in place for a long time and typically would be covered by the existing software. A new housing development would be excluded of course but even then, there's no guarantee that the update that was released well after the development was in place will actually have that development's roads coded in it.
Our house is 3 years old. Our Garmin still doesn't have our address.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I used to update my TL every few years and like others have said there are roads that had been around for years that were still not included in the updates. It would be nice if Acura at some point begins to use Google maps for it's database and can keep it updated more frequently.

·
Registered
661 Posts
waste of money @ over $100.

I updated my BMW after someone in Romania hacked the codes and was selling maps for $50.

Otherwise, use Google Maps, Waze or Here (Nokia) for free.

·
Registered
869 Posts
"Free" cell phone navigation apps can get pretty darn costly if you get into an at-fault crash while you're staring down at the little screen. No different from texting while driving. Built-in Nav isn't perfect, but it's big, it talks, and it's mounted in a relatively "heads-up" location that doesn't require the driver to shift their gaze far from the road.

And don't even get me started on Pokemon Go! :twak:

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
^^ I agree - the cell phone screen is too small to safely use for this purpose IMO. The cell can still be safe and useful when set to provide voice turn-by-turn directions, which doesn't require one to look at the screen, but I wouldn't use it for trying to see road or map detail while driving - at least not with the iPhone 6s I have.

It might make sense at times to use the cell's voice turn-by-turn directions together with the MDX nav map if one likes the cell's routing better than the built-in nav but still can make use of the larger nav display.

·
Registered
35 Posts
hi, question if i update my 2014 map, will the 2016 map come as a different layout design? For example while im driving, i am recieving traffic report on the map currently, however it is soo hard to see the color variation since the traffic lines red and green are soo thin and barely able to see? Got to ride in a 2016 tlx and the traffic map was soo much clearer.

thanks!!!

·
Registered
869 Posts
I didn't notice a difference in the thin, dim traffic lines after I applied the 2015 update to our 2014 MDX, unfortunately. That map update was applied to placate my wife, who found it distressing to be "traveling off-road" in her brand new car, but an associated software update resolved some other issues. Dunno for sure about 2016 update, but I think there are hardware differences between 2014 and 2015+ vehicles. Boosting the display contrast in "vehicle settings" helps a bit; the default is pretty washed out IMO.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
The traffic lines on the 2014 are laughably (or sadly) so thin and faint as to be nearly useless. This was corrected with a nav change on 2015 models but not retro'd to 2014 so we 2014 owners are stuck with the nearly useless implementation of this. Another change was made for 2015 where one apparently can speak an address more normally which makes the system more usable. Acura refuses to make this 'software update' available for 2014 as well. In short, Acura has done a terrible job and disservice to owners of their vehicles by not making simple software update corrections available to prior owners of the same infotainment system - i.e. at no real additional cost to Acura other than applying the update and even that burden is only incurred because Acura doesn't provide a simple way for owners to apply patches - unlike many competitors. It's an auto manufacturer mentality of incremental model year features stuck at that model year release date with no updates being made available even though the NRE was already incurred for the improvements (ex: for the same system that's 2015), unlike what consumers nowadays expect since they receive many updates and improvements at no additional cost for their smart phones, PCs, tablets, Garmins, etc.

In short, with many auto manufacturers, Acura included, it's a WYSIWYG at the moment of purchase paradigm ('what you see is what you get').

·
Registered
149 Posts
"Free" cell phone navigation apps can get pretty darn costly if you get into an at-fault crash while you're staring down at the little screen. No different from texting while driving. Built-in Nav isn't perfect, but it's big, it talks, and it's mounted in a relatively "heads-up" location that doesn't require the driver to shift their gaze far from the road.

And don't even get me started on Pokemon Go! :twak:
When I connect my phone to my car, Waze gives me audible turn by turn. The lawyers can simmer down now.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Audible turn-by-turn in conjunction with the built-in map display is potentially a viable and responsible solution, assuming data entry isn't done manually on the phone while driving. Not a lawyer. Bicyclist. I have friends who have been injured by distracted drivers. Bike vs. SUV isn't a fair fight.

Dunno if Nav on the 2017 is the same as on our 2014 Tech, but on the 2014, manual data entry is terrible. Voice recognition isn't great either. But waypoints can be loaded into the thing from a USB thumb drive, so that's something.

Supposedly there are features in the subscription-based AcuraLink The Next Generation "Connect" or "Premium" packages that enable smartphone or tablet based navigation features, with the ability to send destination data to the vehicle's built-in Nav. But I haven't tried that, and I'm not even sure what model years and trim levels are compatible. Anyone?

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Audible turn-by-turn in conjunction with the built-in map display is potentially a viable and responsible solution, assuming data entry isn't done manually on the phone while driving. Not a lawyer. Bicyclist. I have friends who have been injured by distracted drivers. Bike vs. SUV isn't a fair fight.

Dunno if Nav on the 2017 is the same as on our 2014 Tech, but on the 2014, manual data entry is terrible. Voice recognition isn't great either. But waypoints can be loaded into the thing from a USB thumb drive, so that's something.

Supposedly there are features in the subscription-based AcuraLink The Next Generation "Connect" or "Premium" packages that enable smartphone or tablet based navigation features, with the ability to send destination data to the vehicle's built-in Nav. But I haven't tried that, and I'm not even sure what model years and trim levels are compatible. Anyone?
The Acuralink phone app to insert addresses has been on the 2014+ but it costs extra $$. IMO, it isn't really worth it.

To deal with having to look too far for turn by turn, I sometimes put my phone landscape just above our dash hump with a windshield mount. Works fine that way.

·
Registered
149 Posts

I was being (or trying to be) facetious about the lawyer thing....and I too am a cyclist so I never meant to suggest data entry while under way. As for the nav on the MDX, data entry is so horrible that there would be NO WAY I would attempt to enter while moving. It needs my full attention and (really) a manual, multiple step process.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was being (or trying to be) facetious about the lawyer thing....and I too am a cyclist so I never meant to suggest data entry while under way. As for the nav on the MDX, data entry is so horrible that there would be NO WAY I would attempt to enter while moving. It needs my full attention and (really) a manual, multiple step process.

I use Acura link app to input address and then send to Car gps. I paid $300 for 5 years including other features.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts