Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I never noticed my engine cooling/radiator fan turn on even when it's very hot outside (85+ F). Dashboard guage is fine, no signs of over heating and both radiator fans work with AC on but never saw driver side fan(cooling fan) turn on even after driving the car for over 30 minutes in hot weather and the car parked with engine still running.

I have 2 other Honda cars(15 TLX and 97Accord) both of them kick in the cooling fan within minutes of parking the car with engine running on a hot day but my MDX does not seem to do the same.

Also the excessive heat I sense in the garage after pulling my MDX in on a hot day makes me think that the cooling fan is not turning on at all. Also i feel the dash board area is warmer than it should be.

How do I go about diagnosing the issue?
Can other 14 MDX owners confirm if f their MDX cooling fan kicks in with AC off?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I’m no mechanic, but it seems to me that you are trying to create an issue where there isn’t one. You have already said that you aren’t having any issues. It’s hot,the dashboard is going to be hot.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hahaha... I am not creating an issue but making sure there is no issue with what ever that controls the fan

·
Registered
512 Posts
I remember the procedure of the Tranny flush on the TSB

"1. Start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm without load (in Park or Neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, then let it idle."

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to see what happens, I disconnected the ECT2(located on the bottom of the radiator below driver side cooling fan) and started the car hoping that it would trigger some code.

Tomy surprise, no code. If I disconnect ECT1 and start, a warning light on the dash popped up.

Anyway, taking it to the dealership to make sure there is no issue

·
Registered
492 Posts
See post #2.

But if you insist, why not try to save everyone a bit of time and go for a drive and then don't turn it off when you get home. Open the hood and then watch the fan. OEM's have the ability create some very efficient fan designs that move a lot of air but are considerably more quiet than your used to, not to mention the variable fan speed control that only ramps the fan up to what is required.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes Sir, I checked the fan by popping the hood after driving on a hot day many times. Cooling fan never turned on, it turns on only when AC is on.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
In the past experience.... normally I don't hear cooling fan running after I parked the car. There was period of time it did when there was not enough coolant after a body shop done with repair. (On my TL after it got hit by deer)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Check your coolant levels first. If there's not enough coolant and there's a air pocket where the thermoswitch is, it may not trigger the fans to come on and/or not have the gauge read correctly.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Coolant levels are fine, right at the top of the radiator and tad below Max level in the reservoir tank.

I took it to dealership and was willing to pay diagnosis be fee but the tech barely spent 15 minutes on the car and returned it saying everything is normal. Though the dealership did not charge me money, I would have felt better if I saw the fan running.
When asked the same, the advisor says it kicks on at very high temperature around 180 - 200 F.

I have a thermal scanner, will check engine temp to see how high it gets.

Also I changed engine oil and it is black but not dirty or thick. I guess that how GDI engine oil would be.

Somehow I feel this is not a vehicle to drive in summer, something is making this car run very hot.

If this is normal behavior for this car, then I would think someone else would have definitely noticed it too

·
Registered
492 Posts
We've all noticed definitively normal behavior of our cars, which is what you're experiencing. This is a modern car, if it was over heating, it would let you know! Think about it, there are thousands and thousands of MDX's driving around the desert southwest, they don't melt.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
See post #2. I rest my case. There is no issue here. I’m sure hundreds of thousands of owners have noted that their cars are not over heating. Even you have noticed no problems. The only issue is you think the fan should be running when it isn’t.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree with you all and take your assurance. What I am not convinced is why do I feel warm cabin area with AC off even though vents are not blowing warm air? Does the dash area getting hot with just the electronics? I know my Android phone feels hot sometimes, so dual screens and other stuff may be making it a warm cabin.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
When do you start experience the "HOT" of dashboard? if AC is not running, I could expect dashboard gathering heat and becomes hot from sun and engine bay (since it is not too far) over time. I won't worry too much unless I see warning light or temperature gauge needle moving up and down a lot during normal operation.

·
Registered
492 Posts
The dash is exposed to sunlight, the sun is hot and pointed straight at your dash for 14+ hours. It's late June, the Sun is at the most extreme overhead angle we experience in north america, so your dash is going to be hot. Consider yourself SUPER fortunate if a hot dash is the extent of your concerns these days.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts