Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here. Never owned a honda, recently bought a 2014 mdx with 70k miles, and am starting to regret it. I was having some weird issues with the rpm fluctuating, came on here, saw the 2 TSBs related to the transmission fluid change and the computer update. I understand that the overheating of the transmission fluid,(correctable by a computer update) causes the transmission fluid to prematurely breakdown and lose its viscosity. I tried to do the 3x3 flush. A few observations:

1. The drain plug magnet was full of iron deports, like, probably a teaspoon of the stuff.
2. I can't seem to get 3 qts drained out, its been close to 1.5-2 qts, leaving the car leveled flat for 4 hours of draining each time.
3. When the transmission fluid is hot, the dip stick shows both holes with fluid when i check
4. Its hit or miss on how the transmission behaves. Some days, it behaves ok, some others, like today, it acts like its slipping.

Question 1 , if the prior owner didn't service the transmission fluid per manufacture specs, and its really been 70k with maintenance, am I destined for failure. Second question is, If I've done 4x2qt flushes, and its a little better, but RPM still fluctuates, is the transmission failing. Question 3, what are my options at this point

·
Registered
200 Posts
Fluctuating RPM is well known issue; https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-discussion-2014-414/2014-acura-mdx-rpm-fluctuating-acceleration-964592/

Post #5 on above thread says "TSB suggests 8 year 80k mile warranty on this", but I can't confirm this. I'd do thorough ATF changes with proper fluid (Acura/Honda ATF DW-1) prior to taking the MDX to dealer.

You're saying you only drained 1.5-2 qts for drain & fill, but spec shows you should drain 3.3 qts. In my experience, I drained little more than 4 qts by raising the rear while draining and carefully measured what I drained. I did 4qtsx3, ATF is clean and bright now. Maintenance interval for ATF is 30,000 miles(15,000 if you're in dusty area), but I would go 20,000.

Metal shavings on drain magnets are normal as long as there isn't any larger debries or too excessive. It shows the PO hasn't done any ATF service at all. Magnet is doing its job correctly.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
1.- Unless you know the transmission has been overhauled recently? there should be quite a lot of debris attached to the magnet.. That is no metal surface debris but rather clutch dust which is completely normal.. If the previous owner neglected the transmission there could be quite a lot of clutch dust gathered in the magnet.

2.- That is an odd quantity... My transmission always drain more than 3quarts, But regardless you should replace the oil until you reach the mark in the dipstick do not worry about the drain level but rather worry about replacing the same amount that it drains if the level is correct.

3.- This is correct ATF expands and it will take more volume thus the level should be higher when hot compared to when its cold... The level should be measured when the car is HOT so a correct level is between the dots on the dipstick when HOT.. If you check when Hot and the level is on the top dot that is considered by most OK... But technically it should be between the dots when Hot... DO NOT check the level when cold as it should read well bellow the spec.

4.- If un-sure go to a shop for diagnosis.... Slipping is usually the last sign of a dead transmission.

Q1: I highly doubt the transmission has never seen an oil change even then the spec is 30K so that oil would be well past its service life span.. It should have come out like a black tar.

Q2: Transmission slipping is the ultimate sign of death, Under no circumstances the transmission should slip a gear.. This only means the clutch packs are well worn out and nothing but a complete transmission overhaul can fix.

Q3: If the purchase was from a private owner there is nothing you can but to make a peace with it. You should have gone and made a deep service inspection when buying from a private owner.. If you bought from a dealer then it should be covered under sale warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went to that acurazine link, and that was very helpful. That video of the RPM fluctuation during acceleration is exactly what i'm seeing with my car. I'll jack up the back of my car this evening to see if I can get more out. How high did you have to jack yours ups from a level floor?

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Hmm 2014 with 70k miles would still fall into the 6yr/70k base powertrain warranty no?

I've pointed out to someone that that i don't think the warranty is really extended to 8 years as a blanket because no notice was sent but who knows.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Hmm 2014 with 70k miles would still fall into the 6yr/70k base powertrain warranty no?
The answer is 'no' unless the OP rounded up when stating '70K'.

It's still worth seeing if the dealer will check into it as a warranty item but they're not obliged to if it's 70,000 miles or greater. Some will sometimes do it but there may be less of a chance given this isn't the original purchaser.

Even if it was under warranty Acura could likely get out of it if there's no proof of the required service having been done.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I’ve had the TSB done twice (35k & 61k) because the fluttering came back. I’d stand hard with the 8/80k warranty but they could request proof the trans was serviced when the MID called for it. What is the typical mileage the MID would request trans service (MM3)?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts