Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A number of people posted re: a squeaking noise coming from the middle row of the 2014 and 2015 MDX vehicles. I had the same problem on my 2014 Acura MDX with Technology package and SH-AWD. The squeaking noise from the middle row passenger side seat would come and go, seemingly at random. For a "premium luxury car", this was driving me nuts.

When I took it to the dealer for the seatbelt recall, I reported this issue as well. The noise does come from underneath the middle row's passenger seat. The noise occurred whether or not the third row seats were up or down, or regardless of whether someone was sitting in that passenger side seat in the middle row. My third row seats are pretty much always turned down, so for the rest of this post, I will refer to the middle row as the rear row of seats.

The dealer claimed to have fixed it by adjusting some cables under the seat. Needless to say, the issue was not resolved at the dealership, and the problem continued for several months. I sent them a note explaining how this is not acceptable for a $50K car.

Unhappy with the dealer's inability to solve this, I spent some time and checked it out for myself. When it's occurring, you're actually able to reproduce the noise without driving. Just open the rear passenger door, and press downward on the outside edge of the rear passenger seat. You will hear the squeak. If you look under the seat as your pushing down, you can more or less tell it's coming from somewhere along the rail.

I did verify that the rail itself was securely bolted to the chassis. In my case, it's not the seat itself making the noise, but the rail assembly that the seat slides backward and forward on. There are two rails for this seat: one toward the door, and one toward the center of the car.

I sprayed some WD-40 on the door side rail and components under the seat, and slid the seat all the way back and forth several times to ensure that everything was covered. I did this only on the door side rail and springs under the seat. This seems to have resolved the problem, as I can no longer reproduce the noise. Driving has been very quiet for the past couple of days, and the middle row seats are all the way back.

For the record, since the noise started (about 3K miles into owning the car), I've never gone two days of driving without hearing this noise. Yes, sliding the seat forward does temporarily resolve the issue, but it does come back, eventually. Since I did this, there has been no hint of the squeaking noise.

Give it a try. This will save you a lot of time and aggravation. Not sure if there's a manufacturing problem where this rail is not getting lubricated properly, but I couldn't see anything else wrong.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Good job on finding the noise. I swear these dealers sometimes just don't give a crap. I've always had to find the noises after they say they reproduce it, yet I can make it happen on a regular basis.

One thing to note though is that WD40 is a very poor lubricant. You may want to utilize something else that is more long lasting like white lithium.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good job on finding the noise. I swear these dealers sometimes just don't give a crap. I've always had to find the noises after they say they reproduce it, yet I can make it happen on a regular basis.

One thing to note though is that WD40 is a very poor lubricant. You may want to utilize something else that is more long lasting like white lithium.
Yes, this was just a short term fix to see if it can resolve the problem. I will be sure to get something a little more permanent put down there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts