Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new owner here. not impressed with the reviews about the new 9-speed tranny and wanting an actual shifter knob (to rest my hand on), i opted for a low-mileage, used 2014 MDX FWD instead of the the new model. and with the purchase came many questions. the owner's manual has answered most of them but not all, so i hope the MDXERS will chime in to fill the gaps.

1. where do you attach the tow hook if you want to pull the vehicle from the front? i found a small "window" in the rear bumper for reverse towing but none in the front.

2. thanks to the previous owner, this car came with an OEM spare tire - 165/60D17 - which is about 2 inches less in diameter than the full sized tires. is this right? i can't imagine driving with one hub closer to the ground than the other three.

3. the driver 1 key fob is missing. to get the cheapest replacement possible, i plan to get one from ebay for about $30 and have it programmed by local dealer who quoted me $145 for, i assume, the use of their proprietary software (without warranty because i'm bringing in a used fob). does anyone have a cheaper alternative?

4. i find the rear door beep too loud for my taste. has anyone tried silencing or switching it off altogether? i'm thinking of muffling or disconnecting the speaker if anyone can help me locate it.

5. i am tempted to use the cheaper regular unleaded instead of the "recommended" (not required) 91 octane rating. i know that some of you have been successful at it but i want to know if anyone has actually damaged the engine by doing so. how would an engine knock sound like anyway?

:hmmm:
eagerly looking forward to your generous replies...

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
2.- This is under spare tire in the manual, The VSA Alarm will come on so you will have to drive to the closest tire shop to get it fix ASAP. The spare tire is for emergencies only so the car should be driven in a careful manner in the meantime and not exceeding 45mph.

4.- That beep has some other uses too, its connected to the alarm (2 click confirmation at the lock FOB) so you should keep it as is.

5.- Nothing bad is going to happen but bear in mind that the Engine output is calculated using premium, the car will not feel as peppy with regular but if you really want to save money you wont drive it spirited anyway... And nope the engine will not be damaged in any way nor will make a different sound.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'd use 91+ gas, which has detergent that helps fuel efficiency, engine output, and other benefits to the engine. I have seen some bimmer owners asking this question also. My feeling is always that if one can't afford premium gas, then one shouldn't buy a luxury car.

The spare is fine for what it is. Very few vehicles have full size spare now - which are heavier and take up more space. Again take bimmers as an example - most don't even offer a spare, or have no space for a spare.

Agree with the loud beep of the tailgate. for safety reasons. I'll live with it.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
2. The spare is designed for the vehicle so it's okay to use - as a spare. That means to help you get to a location to fix/replace the flat. It's not designed to run on for many thousands of miles.

4. There's a thread on this forum where someone I think stuffed some insulation around the beeper for the tailgate/remote door lock function to muffle it somewhat. I was thinking about doing something like this to mine but haven't gotten around to it yet (in the last 3 years). I don't find the beeping for the door locking that useful since when I do use the remote to lock it, which I don't do that frequently, I can just see the parking lights flash and I don't need a beeper to warn me that the tailgate is closing or opening due to me telling it to close or open. The beeper for this is up under the rear bumper someplace - detailed in the thread I'm referring to.

5. I use the recommended fuel - 91 octane top-tier gas (usually Shell). I know I could save some money buying cheaper gas but I also could have just purchased a Hyundai instead of an Acura and saved money - but I didn't. The owner's manual says you can use regular unleaded albeit at a performance hit. You bought a higher performing vehicle - do you want to then knock it down a bit by using less expensive fuel? Since the owner's manual says you can use regular I wouldn't worry about it causing damage. Modern vehicles have pretty good engine knock management to prevent damage. You can hear engine knock by the 'pinging' sound you may have heard on engines - especially back before the knock sensors and computer controlled timing changes as a result mitigated the issue.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Not the cheapest route, but we added remote start to our '15 and that includes two new fobs with the remote start button. So now we have four fobs total (two driver 1 and two driver 2). The original fobs still work. Still only two metal backup keys.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
There is no attachable front tow hook location because the tow point is integrated at the driver's side. Peek underneath and you'll see a U-shaped hook point.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'd use 91+ gas, which has detergent that helps fuel efficiency, engine output, and other benefits to the engine.
FYI, all gas at the pump has detergent added mandated by federal regulation.

I usually use regular 87, and switch to premium gas when I tow. I also make sure I use up a full tank of premium before I tow to get the full 100% 91/93 fuel for towing.

I know on some cars there's a massive difference in the performance/efficiency you get from different octane ratings, hence it's not worth it to use lower octane gas. The Acura RDX I had for example is like that. However, I feel that the 3rd gen MDX has no noticeable difference in fuel efficiency or performance, therefore, I use regular. It's not about what you can afford, it's about getting what you pay for.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Higher octane gas has a better detergent additive package (top tier gas), which reduce carbon build-up especially for DI engines, improve combustion, inhibit corrosion and allow easier starting in cold climates.

The engine is tuned to run higher octane for higher performance, fuel economy, and anti-knocking. Why would you want to stray from manufacturer's recommendation? yeah you might not be able to tell the difference now, but how much do you know is happening to the engine? There's no way I'd buy used cars from you.

For most Hondas, of course it would be a waste to use higher octane than the recommended 87. But this is not Honda.

You can do what you feel is right, but that's poor advice for other MDX owners.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts