Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to go with wider tires but couldn't find ones that I particularly liked in a slightly larger tire. Going to replace my 245/55/19 Continental's with Yokohama Yk740 GTX's. Its exclusive to America's tire ( Discount tire) shops. I had these Yokohama's put on my wife's Mazda CX5 a few months ago and they seem to be a very good tire. Haven't had any rain yet but they are rated well for rain, dry, and are long lasting. 60k tread wear warranty. My Continentals barely got me to 30k. Wish there were more options for a wider tire without changing the wheels.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
I'm at about the same point of needing tires - I have about 4/32 left on the Continentals on my 2014 shawd MDX with somewhat over 41K miles. That's quite a few more miles than you got out of yours for some reason.

I've started looking around at tires and so far will likely go with Michelin Defender LTX or Michelin Premier LTX - still deciding between those two, as are about a thousand other people apparently according to my searches. They appear to have attributes very similar to each other and each looks like a decent tire.

I've been happy enough with the Continentals but will likely make the switch to Michelin.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The 245/55/19 is a very limited production tiresize, only a few manufacturers seem to make it as it is used on very few car models.
I would change to 255/50/19, it has only a 1.9% smaller circumferance, so negligible difference and then you have a lot more choice.
Michelin Pilot Sport 3 and the new 4 are always a top choice and Continental SportContact 5 is too, cheaper but almost as good: Goodyear F1.. just to name a few..

·
Registered
709 Posts
Wider tire will hurt gas milage a little bit...one reason they 3rd gen has a slightly narrower tire than the 2nd gen.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Update - After about 43K miles on the Continentals I just now replaced them with Michelin Premier LTX (245/55 R19). I think I received decent service with the Continentals. I do my own tire rotations and have a compressor for pumping up the tire pressure when needed and it's so easy to see how the pressure is with the TPMS that there's little excuse to not keep them optimal most of the time. I keep them at the factory spec of 35 psi cold.

I waffled back and forth between the Michelin Defender LTX and Michelin Premier LTX but ultimately decided on the Premier since it seems to be the most similar to the factory tires that came with the vehicle (Contis or Michelin Latitudes). I know some people have reported possible issues with early wearing on the Premier but people reported that on the Contis as well yet I still managed to get 43K out of the Contis so hopefully with my continued diligence in maintaining the tire pressure and rotations the Premiers will be reasonable on mileage. If not, I'll report that here. I think the Defender would have been a decent choice as well. The MDX isn't designed for off-roading and it doesn't snow here so I think the Premiers s/b fine. It'd be easier if Michelin only had a single LTX type tire choice rather than two that seem very similar.

I ended up buying them at Discount Tire after they matched the price Costco sold the tires for. I bought them at Discount Tire because they had them in stock (Costco would have needed to order them) and I've found Discount Tire to be much quicker in getting them installed and they're easy to work with (Costco's easy to work with also but can be painfully slow and backed up with people in the tire installation and I don't enjoy wandering around their store to kill time).

So far I only have about 2 miles on them so I'll need to wait until later to report back the first impressions of these tires.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Wider tire will hurt gas milage a little bit...one reason they 3rd gen has a slightly narrower tire than the 2nd gen.
So who cares, perhaps a max 5% fuel difference for better grip and roadholding, small price to pay I think.

Especially with the relatively still low fuel prices you lucky guys pay as compared to what we have to pay here in Europe..

·
Registered
59 Posts
About at how many miles should one be looking to replace the original set of tires that came with a 2015 AWD MDX?
We just replaced ours at just over 39,000 on the odometer.

·
Registered
759 Posts
About at how many miles should one be looking to replace the original set of tires that came with a 2015 AWD MDX?
I estimate I got close to 60k miles maybe more. I change out to winter tires from Dec/Jan to March/April and needed new all seasons at 70k miles.

I frequently rotated the tires and did a lot of highway driving.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I’ve never gotten more than 36k out of a set of OEM tires.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
I replaced the OEM Continentals on my 2014 SHAWD MDX at around 43K miles - they were down to about 2/32 so needed replacement. I replaced them with Michelin Premier LTX but it was a toss-up for me between those and the Michelin Defender.

I've seen fairly wide tire replacement mileage points posted here from some ridiculously low mileage where I think the driver didn't maintain the vehicle well or had some other issues to very high mileage around 60K or so and then people like me somewhere in between.

I pay attention to my tires, keep them properly inflated, and rotate them myself. When I replaced mine they were all evenly worn with each other and worn evenly across the tire (i.e. no uneven wear per tire as one can see with alignment issues, under or over inflation, etc.).

Don't scrimp on the replacement tires - get something decent.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Haha mdxstang is talking about me for the super low miles on the oem contis. I was able to kill the fronts in 17k miles (probably could have hit 20k but rain was coming and i gave the mdx to my wife).

Was about 4/32 on the outsides of each front tire from not rotating them every 6k. Personally, i have tried no rotation on a few different tires now for awd and rwd cars we had, but none of them wore this badly this quickly. I do keep pressures up at 35 psi weekly, but i am a spirited driver, so cornering tends to be fast and powered (i mean hey, shawd needs power application to work lol). I guess i should check alignment, but outside wear equally on both sides tells me it's not alignment or at most it's maybe excessive toe.

Anyhow, ill rotate the michellin premiers now normally and will see lol. I just tend to not care much about the oem shoes because they always wear out with super low miles compared to their retail equivalents.

Oh and don't take any of this as a knock on Conti as a brand. I have their dw series tires on two other cars and they're wearing very nicely (one is about 55k now and only about half worn and the other is 20k ish with about 6/32 left [this one is on the rwd staggered and summer tires to boot]).

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
268 Posts
We replaced the OEM Continentals on our 2015 at around 47k miles. When I checked the tread depth, two tires were at 4/32, one was at 5/32, and one was at 3/32. I could have run them a bit longer, but we wanted a new set before winter and and also took advantage of the Michelin deal at Costco.

I try to keep the cold tire pressure between 35 - 37 psi. The tires were rotated at every service. An alignment check at around 37k did show that one wheel was slightly off, but I decided to wait until we got new tires to get it adjusted. Our MDX sees a mix of stop and go, and steady driving in moderately hilly terrain. I'd say that most of the time, we don't drive the car hard. Depending on what kind of driving and conditions your MDX sees, as always, YMMV.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am a huge Michelin fan and put the Premier LTX's on to replace the OEM Michelin's. They have to be the absolute worst set of Michelins I have ever owned. They are noisy and the ride is horrible and nearly impossible to balance. Can't wait to get rid of them...but they are great in the wet.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
I am a huge Michelin fan and put the Premier LTX's on to replace the OEM Michelin's. They have to be the absolute worst set of Michelins I have ever owned. They are noisy and the ride is horrible and nearly impossible to balance. Can't wait to get rid of them...but they are great in the wet.
As I posted above, I have the Michelin Premier LTX tires on mine that replaced the original Continentals and don't have any issues with them. They very smooth, handle fine, and are quiet. They're balanced just fine or else they wouldn't be smooth and quiet. I drove coast to coast and back on them and they performed fine. They have 7k-8k or so miles on them now.

Given your description as well as the results of basic research I did on the tires and my own experience as well as common sense, you appear to have something in particular wrong with your setup and should get it checked. Maybe the person who mounted and balanced them did a horrible job or didn't know how to balance tires, or their tire balancer had an issue, or some of the balancing weights were thrown, or possibly you received defective tires (unlikely), or you have an issue with one of your rims or you have some other issue. Regardless, there's something wrong with 'your' particular instance that's outside of the norm for these tires so you should get it double checked - perhaps at a different shop than you used to do the initial install/balance, even though that'll cost a bit more money.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts