Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were rearended in traffic in May in our 2014 MDX - first day owned. My other half was looking at her smart phone for slowing freeway traffic ahead on the way home from the dealer because we could not read it on the NAV - due to the faded thin line issue. Had I not had my other half with me I'd probably have diverted my attention to the NAV for a second or two, and we would have missed an accident a few cars ahead of us resulting in a sudden full stop, and hit the person in front of us too instead of just being rearended by a Honda Accord behind us at freeway speeds. The damage to the MDX was to the bumper only even though the other car was totaled. I realized today that the poor traffic display lines on the 2014 are a real traffic hazard to 2014 MDX owners because they are so hard (near impossible) to see. My understanding is that Acura fixed the 2015 MDX and later displays, and they should fix the 2014 also. My 2006 Acura RL was easy to read traffic with a quick view, and that is an 8 year older car so it is not a technology lacking problem so I filed a complaint with NHTSA today. My suggestion is that if you have been involved in an accident, or nearly involved in an accident that you feel is a direct result of diverted attention specifically because of the poor ability to see the 2014 NAV Traffic info, consider filing a complaint with NHTSA about the incident. I did the 2017 disc upgrade as a result of the accident, hoping it would improve the traffic view but it did not. Be aware - in my humble opinion, looking at the NAV traffic unit on a 2014 is hazardous, and I would suggest not using it at all until the issue is resolved. That 3 or 4 extra seconds spent trying to see the nearly invisible traffic lines may cause you or a loved one a serious accident. I do hope that Acura will resolve this issue and give their drivers the safest experience they can.

In another unrelated issue. The inner liner on my driver front fender keeps falling down. I paid to have it replaced because the dealer felt that the issue was unwarrantable. The new one is falling too. Friday we walked the lot and a percentage of the newer MDX on the lot have the same issue where the driver front fender inner liner is falling down. You might check your MDX, and if it is falling down report it to the dealer and here.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
looking at the NAV traffic unit on a 2014 is hazardous
It is indeed. I've owned my 2014 MDX for 4 years now and 'never' even try to look at the traffic lines. If I have a passenger I'll sometimes ask that person to check the lines but it'd be way to distracting to do it myself as the driver due to how ridiculously faint and thin they are. Even Acura recognized this problem (among a few others) and fixed it for 2015, as you stated, but they refuse to fix it for 2014. Acura clearly doesn't care that much about the existing owners of their vehicles and viewed this as an 'enhancement' rather than a 'reasonable included update'. At the time they offered it on the 2015 the 2015 was still selling new, hence the update for it. I seriously doubt there's a hardware related reason to not apply this same fix to the 2014. There were a few other Nav usability issues Acura fixed along with this in that update for the 2015 but they didn't offer them for the 2014 and at this point I can't see them ever doing so unless the NHTSA or somebody forces them.

In the meantime do what I do - don't even think about using the 'traffic' feature on the 2014 unless you have a navigator in the passenger seat (with really good eyes) to do it for you.

I haven't had an inner fender liner problem on this vehicle. Have you figured out what's caused it to fall?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you figured out what's caused it to fall?
no. it goes in for a second try at the liner Friday. The fact others were like it on the lot makes me think something is going on with some of these.All that had fallen were the 2014 - 2017 driver's side front fender. Not all were fallen, some were tight while others were loose and hanging down.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Can you guys explain this issue to us with the 2G? I do not understand what is the issue here with the NAV causing an Accident?

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Can you guys explain this issue to us with the 2G? I do not understand what is the issue here with the NAV causing an Accident?
The Nav comes with traffic flow indicators which are green, yellow, red lines along the displayed map - the same way as is done with Google maps and others. It's a good and useful thing in concept but not in execution on the 2014 MDX. The lines are there but they're so thin and faint as to be very difficult to see so if one really tries to look at them while driving and tries to discern whether it's red, green, yellow, they've now taken their eyes off the road for so long they might crash into something - i.e. it's too distracting. If the lines were reasonable in width and intensity there'd be no need for this close examination just to see them and they'd work as designed.

Acura fixed this for 2015 - i.e. the 2015 started out the same as the 2014 in this respect but they came out with a software update that fixed this and a few other things - i.e. the lines got wider and readable. Acura chose 'not' to offer this same fix for 2014 owners.

I don't know what the traffic lines looked like on the 2nd gen so I can't compare to that. I did get a TL (or something like that) loaner once and the traffic lines on it were a breath of fresh air - i.e. they worked as expected - and were perfectly readable.

It boggles the mind how Acura could have accepted this from the provider of the Nav unit and it's further puzzling why they didn't fix it for 2014 when they went ahead and fixed it via a software update for the 2015.

I'm not an Acura basher and you know that overall I really like my 2014 MDX but this problem and resulting lack of support or concern by Acura is a big fail.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I sincerely cannot say how the traffic works on my NAV as I never use it, The crunchy outdated maps are a huge letdown as it is and that is why the NAV at least on my 2G is turned off 100% of the times the only use for the front screen is for XM Artist and Song info.. My Tom Tom standalone GPS gets the directions duty done flawlessly with great traffic and accident reports paired to my iPhone for speed cameras too.

Can you guys just zoom the map in order to see the lines more clearly?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I sincerely cannot say how the traffic works on my NAV as I never use it, The crunchy outdated maps are a huge letdown as it is and that is why the NAV at least on my 2G is turned off 100% of the times the only use for the front screen is for XM Artist and Song info.. My Tom Tom standalone GPS gets the directions duty done flawlessly with great traffic and accident reports paired to my iPhone for speed cameras too.

Can you guys just zoom the map in order to see the lines more clearly?

unfortunately the lines don't scale. If you own a 2014 MDX with NAV / Traffic, and have been in an accident where the Nav Traffic contributed, or almost in an accident because of it you might consider filing a complaint online with NHTSA. Acura really needs to fix the 2014 MDX NAV Traffic software also like they fixed the 2015 etc. If you have a 2014 MDX with Nav/Traffic you should consider not using it if in anyway it distracts attention from your driving. I cannot see the lines unless I stare at mine for about 10 seconds which is unsafe so I can't use it. Even sitting stopped in traffic in optimal conditions I can't see it in a useable manner.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
unfortunately the lines don't scale. If you own a 2014 MDX with NAV / Traffic, and have been in an accident where the Nav Traffic contributed, or almost in an accident because of it you might consider filing a complaint online with NHTSA. Acura really needs to fix the 2014 MDX NAV Traffic software also like they fixed the 2015 etc. If you have a 2014 MDX with Nav/Traffic you should consider not using it if in anyway it distracts attention from your driving. I cannot see the lines unless I stare at mine for about 10 seconds which is unsafe so I can't use it. Even sitting stopped in traffic in optimal conditions I can't see it in a useable manner.
If they didn't fix it 2 years ago,when we first complained about it. They aren't going to fix it now. I can see the red lines on the screen that shows the next 4 maneuvers. I should turn on detours.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I found a solution to the barely visible traffic lines on the 2014 MDX Tech display. If you wait until the "complimentary 3 year AcuraLink Standard" subscription lapses, the traffic lines go away completely. Problem solved.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found a solution to the barely visible traffic lines on the 2014 MDX Tech display. If you wait until the "complimentary 3 year AcuraLink Standard" subscription lapses, the traffic lines go away completely. Problem solved.

That is the bean counter remove the feature solution. I was kinda hoping the customer service folks would prevail on this one. If not, no bigee, we can always overlook buying an Acura/Honda as our next car just as easily.

·
Registered
870 Posts
In pure desperation, Garmin still sells very nice stand-alone GPS receivers for about the same cost as one year of AcuraLink. And the Garmins now come with lifetime map updates and traffic. The biggest problem is mounting the thing in a relatively unobtrusive manner. Proclip can help.

Looking to the future, I'm not sure if Carplay/AA is quite up to the same level of performance but it will probably get there eventually. No help for our 2014s.

Otherwise, we're very happy with our 2014 MDX Tech, but it isn't really our travel vehicle. 2016 Pilot Touring gets that duty, and it has built-in Garmin GPS on a big central display, but I really don't like the 9-speed transmission or the associated push-button shifter. And Pilot is less sporty overall, IMO.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the point is we paid for it, shouldn't it work? Should Acura/Honda create a hazardous situation for the driver who actually tries to use it and rear-ends someone? File complaints with NHTSA if you have been in a near accident on account of it in a 2014, and maybe when a class action starts join it. Acura REALLY needs to apply the software to the 2014, or ask their vendor to do make the changes needed if something else is required. I don't think it is a hardware issue where the width and intensity of the lines are built into the system. One can change them in the settings but the options don't make a difference.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Acura will argue that the features are exactly as they were when the car was introduced, and as should have been apparent on a test drive. I don't disagree that the GPS display is lacking, and the data entry is abysmal. But although that is a bit of a distraction, it would be an uphill battle to argue that it is a safety related defect that demands a recall. As for a goodwill software update from Acura, they haven't done it yet. It's unclear if there are hardware limitations.

In HondaLand, there is a near insurrection because Apple CarPlay/AA was left off 2016 Pilot but added for 2017. Honda hasn't released an update for the 2016s and they claim hardware limitations. Some guys are swapping headunits to get AA/Carplay.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
the point is we paid for it, shouldn't it work? Should Acura/Honda create a hazardous situation for the driver who actually tries to use it and rear-ends someone? File complaints with NHTSA if you have been in a near accident on account of it in a 2014, and maybe when a class action starts join it. Acura REALLY needs to apply the software to the 2014, or ask their vendor to do make the changes needed if something else is required. I don't think it is a hardware issue where the width and intensity of the lines are built into the system. One can change them in the settings but the options don't make a difference.
No different then blaming the car because you were distracted while adjusting the radio. You are responsible for distractions while driving. We all know it sucks but,blaming it for distracted driving is too much.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No different then blaming the car because you were distracted while adjusting the radio. You are responsible for distractions while driving. We all know it sucks but,blaming it for distracted driving is too much.

Your logic is like the dentist telling you that if you decided to not eat you could avoid cavities. Or perhaps the doctor telling you that if you want to lose weight stop eating for a month. If I hand you a bottle opener and it cuts your hand it doesn't make much sense for me to say it was never designed to be actually used. I can't see the lines on my if I am 6 inches from it or 3 feet. It doesn't work. I have opened a service ticket with Acura on it for that and some other weird things it does like report it is home it is 40 miles away sometimes.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I'm going to leave something brief that explains how Acura can shed the entirety of the liability to you. When you start up the car, the infotainment system says, "The driver is responsible for the safe operation of this vehicle. Use this system only when traffic conditions permit. For further details see your owner's manual."

The use of a mobile phone during operation of the vehicle is another factor in this accident, which we all understand, so I won't go into it.

As such, you will notice that Acura has not chosen to update the infotainment system with thicker traffic lines on the 2014 (more likely a cost reason for them) and sadly, NHTSA likely has no sway in forcing them to do so. They understand that the driver in command is ultimately the responsible party and must adapt to the given tools. After all, anyone operating vehicles, be it cars or airliners, all must trust the driver to get them to their destinations safely.

Either way, it's been complained about before and only 2015+ got the fix. It is not treated as a "defect," but rather a poor execution. We can only hope you get some resolution that could apply to all 2014s, but I can only advise to become more familiar with the tools you are given and make choices that do not present more risk than necessary.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Your logic is like the dentist telling you that if you decided to not eat you could avoid cavities. Or perhaps the doctor telling you that if you want to lose weight stop eating for a month. If I hand you a bottle opener and it cuts your hand it doesn't make much sense for me to say it was never designed to be actually used. I can't see the lines on my if I am 6 inches from it or 3 feet. It doesn't work. I have opened a service ticket with Acura on it for that and some other weird things it does like report it is home it is 40 miles away sometimes.
But if you are using the bottle opener while driving a car and something happens because you have it in your hand,that's on you. Again,you are ultimately responsible.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
But if you are using the bottle opener while driving a car and something happens because you have it in your hand,that's on you. Again,you are ultimately responsible.
Have you ever been totaled by someone ELSE not paying attention for whatever reason?

Does it matter to you whether your MDX drops in value more than it should because of the potential buyer's perception that the quality is not as good as it could be?

If you work for Acura in any capacity including sales, does it matter to you that more car sales means more income for you, and falling sales means less income for you?

It would be nice to have the feature work. What good is a glove if all the ones made by a particular manufacture have the fingers too short. The argument that it should have been picked up on the test drive is really an argument that I should have spent my $40K at another brand dealer. How about arguing that Acura should want it fixed so money gets spent with them and not other brands? This is a software issue - there are no parts involved and the repair time is minimal. I would pay for it if the fix was offered. It could have been included in the 2017 update that I applied 45 days ago.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts