Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a used 2014 MDX. Have had for about one week. Our second MDX and third Acura. Did my research prior to and wanted the 14 because of the consistent reports of people getting 28 mpg highway. I do mostly highway driving (like 90-95%). In the past week, the highest mpg I have obtained is 22.2.....not happy. Fuled up with 93, no cargo racks or heavy equipment....any thoughts what I can do to improve over time?:confused:

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
There are a lot of factors that enter the equation of mileage and driving style plays a big part. I have a 2014 and have seen very good mpg numbers for a vehicle its size - especially when on a long freeway drive (I've driven it coast to coast a couple of times). If you're cruising on the freeway at 65-75 at a fairly consistent speed then you should see somewhere around 24-28 mpg for the freeway section.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
People tend to exaggerate their mpg numbers quoting temporary results seen on monitor and not whole tank results. Also I've noticed that my nav computer returns consisently 5+% higher mileage than obtained by mileage/gallons purchased.

Finally, driving style and terrain have major impact on fuel mileage. If you start w/ high acceleration from each stop or have significant up/down terrain to negotiate, getting max numbers is not possible. I've noticed 10-15% loss w/ even moderately hilly terrain vs. flat.

A figure of 22 mpg for a work commute sounds pretty good compared to older MDX's (15-18 mpg).

good luck

·
Registered
84 Posts
I don't know about the 3rd gen but my 2nd gen displays running mpg that is consistently lower than my calculations mpg by 2~5%. That's with 80% city driving. It was on par when I'm doing 100% highway.

Maybe it's the same case with the 3rd gen?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I think it would help us a bit if you described in further detail your driving style, types of trips, and other things to note.

My 2015 has gotten between 22.3-23.3, manually calculated after filling up, in my mixed daily driving this summer. I've found that my MPG readings on the dash can be optimistic by 1.2-2.5 MPG depending on the type of driving and how much the gas attendant tops of the tank. I'm not sure how much ethanol is in my gas (93 octane), but pretty much all the pumps in my area say "May contain up to 10% ethanol". My commute consists of 46 round trip miles of a mix of county back roads, highway, stop and go, and in town driving, all in a pretty hilly area. I don't typically run the A/C in the morning, but I mostly do in the afternoon. My driving style could be classified as mildly spirited, but I usually see lots of other drivers in more of a hurry than I am. Sure, I'm not really beating the EPA fuel economy ratings, but I'm still happy with them. It does much better than the Honda Pilot I replaced.

I don't want to suggest that you go to the extreme and adopt a hypermiling driving style, but there are always a few things you can do to improve upon your MPGs. Do you keep the MPG display up on the instrument cluster? I sometimes like to play a little game to see how much I can keep the bar lit up above 25 MPG and above. I've found that moderate (not slow) acceleration, locking in a cruising speed, lots of coasting to slow down/stop, and minimal changes in speed help keep the gas mileage up.

It may not be worth the time, effort, and inconvenience for you, but I also like to park a bit further where there's shade and use a windshield shade. After work I use the auto roll down windows from the keyfob remote when I approach the car to let some air in. After a few minutes when I'm about to get on the highway, I roll the windows back up and run the A/C; by this time the car is warmed up and will be running at more efficient speeds.

I've also found that my MDX, along with past Hondas, that the MPG sweet spot looks to be between 40-50 MPH. That's the speed I usually go on the county back roads. If you travel on a major highway or interstate, see if you can keep the speed below 70. 65 and below would be even better, but depending on where you are you might be impeding the flow of traffic.

I'd say to try a couple of these things and report back.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I've noticed that my nav computer returns consisently 5+% higher mileage than obtained by mileage/gallons purchased.
When my 2014 MDX shawd was fairly new I did a coast to coast trip where I kept good track of the actual mpg based on the amount of gas put in and the distance traveled. Since it was a long trip the hand calculations were quite accurate. Of course, the accuracy is only as good as the accuracy of the odometer but I haven't noticed an issue with the odo accuracy. The length of the mileage check was around 4400 miles.

This was a trip where I mostly drove around 65-80 with some spurts around 85 where legal. I was probably typically going 70-75. Of course there was some city driving as well in various areas including my destination on the other coast where the speeds would be much lower. The trip included mountains (Rockies) and the vehicle was pretty loaded down with stuff.

My hand calcs indicated 24.7mpg and the trip computer indicated 26.1mpg so figure a discrepancy of 1-2mpg on the computer with a bias towards a higher mileage figure.

That's really quite a good mileage figure for a vehicle of this type and size. I definitely would have had higher mileage if I drove 65mph and was a more sedate driver than I am.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Out of curiosity is the mpg based on total miles put on the vehicle since day 1 or is it set to recalculate with each fill up? If based on total miles since day 1 there may have been many city miles put on prior to your ownership which may explain the lower mpg. I have always gone into settings on each Acura to change the mpgs to reset with each fill up plus do hand calculations during the first few weeks of ownership. Acura MIDs tend to exaggerate mpgs any where from .5 - 2 miles compared to hand calculations.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I don't know about the 3rd gen but my 2nd gen displays running mpg that is consistently lower than my calculations mpg by 2~5%. That's with 80% city driving. It was on par when I'm doing 100% highway.

Maybe it's the same case with the 3rd gen?
The 2nd gen is conservative on the MID and the 3rd gen exaggerates. That's been the consistent story for the folks that have posted real math vs MID and my experience driving both models.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you're cruising on the freeway at 65-75 at a fairly consistent speed then you should see somewhere around 24-28 mpg for the freeway section.
This is the range I would state as well.

I have a daily commute of 45 miles each way..nearly all but about 3 miles is 4 lane, no stoplights, 60-70 mph speed limit... and in general.. more flat than hillly. I take the MDX 2 to 3 times a week. In the one direction, if traffic is lighter and I'm laid back and stick closer to 70 mph avg, I can get close to 28 mpg. In the other direction, I can get around 25. If I push it...and go more towards 80 mph my range goes towards 23-25 mpg.

I fill up with 92 octane at usually the same pumps. Those numbers are "trip computer" numbers via the recent trip gauge versus manually calculated. I try to keep an eye on relative change in mpg...so "absolute" mpg is not something I calculate regularly. However, my wife (it's "her" car) keeps a ledger she records gallons pumped and current odometer reading... so an overall manually calculated number can be trended across fillups. While I record the numbers when using her car, I do not pay attention to those numbers.

Going on 8 months of ownership; bought used.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts