Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends,

My 2014 MDX turned 2 and with 22k miles. I wanted to know what kind of servicing is required beside oil change, wheel rotation and cabin/air filter changes. I saw at dealer having some brake/rotar servicing special, is that worth??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
191 Posts
I saw at dealer having some brake/rotar servicing special, is that worth??

I would not do brake/rotar servicing special until needed. On your next servicing, they usually tell you how much brake life you have left. At 33,000 miles I still have plenty of brake life and my guess is at 22,000 miles you should as well if you have normal driving habits. If your dealer where you service your MDX is honest, they should be able to tell you if you need to replace your brakes/rotars and my guess is you are fine.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.
I am confused for oil change deals:
Dealer charging 74.99 for synthetic blend and oil filter change.
Firestone charging 54.99 for the same.

Where shud I go??

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I like to look at the maint Schedule on the Acura owners website: Acura Maintenance Schedules | Acura Owners Site

Just put in your Year/Model and it can show you what is due when the M.I.D. pops up with a reminder. It doesn't show in the MDX M.I.D. when to replace brake fluid; but, it should be done around 3yrs/30,000 miles. Unless you are having issues with the brakes, they shouldn't need any service until 50,000-100,000 miles on average. There are some places to save some $$$ compared to going to the dealership for everything. I do my engine and cabin filters myself, purchase my own syn oil from Walmart to take to Acura for change, have lifetime rotation/balance/PSI checks at Discount Tires, and have lifetime alignment with Firestone. Alignments are also not listed on M.I.D. maint schedule; but, I always get one when I get new tires, any suspension work, or once a year.

I stick with the dealership with AT, transfer case, and sh-awd fluid changes. My last B12 service at Acura was $26 since I did the tires, filters, and purchased the oil on my own. I still like to take to the dealership to do the M.I.D. inspections when service is due.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Unless you do it yourself,I wouldn't let anyone but the dealer touch it while under warranty. I have over 40,000 miles. The wear is even on all 4 tires. The car tracks straight. I have not had an alignment. If it ain't broke,don't fix it. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Unless you do it yourself,I wouldn't let anyone but the dealer touch it while under warranty. I have over 40,000 miles. The wear is even on all 4 tires. The car tracks straight. I have not had an alignment. If it ain't broke,don't fix it. Just my opinion.
I have 3 Acura with about 335,000 miles between them. The alignment is always a little in the yellow or red everytime I take the vehicles for a check. Driving at 80-85 mph for 4-12hrs at a time in the southwest and you can feel when balance, psi, and/or alignment starts to get off. Not so much for a lot of city driving or short hwy trips.

·
Registered
115 Posts
That's very true! Those cheap oil change shops do not know what they are doing nor do they care. The techs probably have 0 experience servicing luxury cars (if MDX can be considered luxury). Regular expectations of replacing the crush washer and using the right manufacturer recommended fluids are just too much for them. And probably break some plastic clips in the process too, something you won't even notice until random things start rattling.

If you care about your car at all, DON'T DO IT!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My MDX had only 2 oil changes with 21k miles. Now the oil is 30% since past 5 months as my wife hardly drives like 100 miles in 2 weeks. Shud I wait till oil change light shows or do it now??

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
My MDX had only 2 oil changes with 21k miles. Now the oil is 30% since past 5 months as my wife hardly drives like 100 miles in 2 weeks. Shud I wait till oil change light shows or do it now??

I think it is 12 months or when the M.I.D. alerts you for oil changes; whichever comes first. The only issue with doing the oil change before the 15% M.I.D. alert at a non-Acura/Honda dealership and resetting the counter yourself is you might not know what additional numbered 1-6 service will be due (like a B12 service). The Acura techs can reset individual codes if you do an early service or additional maint. I like to change 6AT fluid every 30,000 miles and the tech can reset that code even if it doesn't show in the scheduled maint M.I.D. alert.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I had my second oil change done early at an Acura dealer in CA. The SA couldn't tell me what was due. The rear differential was due. I didn't know that until later. I had it done late. It never came up on the MID.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts