1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I took my MDX for an oil change and below is what the service advisor notes

1) Struts - Front: Both sides leaking
2) Front Control Arm Replacement: Both sides. Bushings torn

Total quoted about $3k for both these items, which I think is somewhat excessive.
Overall ride quality is okay, so I am not feeling the impact yet - but I assume I need to get this items addressed quickly to avoid bigger issues.

I would appreciate any guidance on what these would cost to replace at an independent mechanic. Just need a ballpark so I can provision some dollars accordingly before taking it to a few shops. PS -I am in the DFW - TX area
Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
486 Posts
3K is rip off, I bought my struts online, they r oem, I guess $500 for both, and the local shop charged me $170 labor for changing. If you buy parts urself, and bring it to the store, u should be saving 50%.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I am not a "car guy", so truly appreciate the guidance. Can you post online links to exactly what parts need to be purchased?
Also, on #2 above, Front control arms - do I really need to change the whole arm to address torn bushings?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Depends on how Acura designed them, probably not
Shocks and struts, lots of places. Rockauto.com for starters. But there are lots of online stores that offer decent prices for quality struts

·
Registered
486 Posts
This is the site I use, it has the cheapest shipping, most of the online stores were run by the dealer, their prices r almost the same, the only difference is shipping, pick the one that you can self pick up or cheap shipping. I believe the bushing and the control arm are one piece, for some cars they are separate, but on the MDX they seem one piece.
For struts, you can only go OEM, but control arms seem you have other option in Rockauto.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Below is the picture of the front control arm. Please advise if this bad and really needs replacement. This sounds as a very expensive repair as the parts are itself about $700

Capture.JPG

Below is the picture of my MDX's leaking shocks. Does this warrant replacement? or is this normal ?

Capture2.JPG

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rockauto sells aftermarket controls arms for $120 each.

There is no reason to go for anything else, they are fairly simple parts.
The Movotech ones are $230 and are generally top-notch, if you want to splurge.

On the struts, you need OEM. $175 each. I wouldn't pay more than $300 labor, per a side, including alignment.

Below is the picture of the front control arm. Please advise if this bad and really needs replacement. This sounds as a very expensive repair as the parts are itself about $700

View attachment 114762

Below is the picture of my MDX's leaking shocks. Does this warrant replacement? or is this normal ?

View attachment 114763

1 - 11 of 11 Posts