Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been just over 2 years since I purchased my 2014 MDX so I decided to pro-actively replace the batteries in the key FOBs even though they'd likely last at least another year. New batteries are cheap insurance.

I measured the voltage on the old batteries and the new battery to get an idea of where they're at and thought some people here might be interested.

* Battery
The battery is a 3 volt CR2013 button cell battery. These are easily obtained at drug stores, grocery stores, etc. The one in the FOB was a Panasonic. I replaced it with a Duracell since I happened to have one on hand.

* How to change
Remove the metal key from the FOB by pressing the little release button. Use a coin to pry the two halves of the FOB apart. Simply remove the old battery and pop in the new one. Make sure to keep the polarity the same.

* Voltages
After 2 years of use with almost all use being done by just one of the FOBs the voltages are -
- New battery: 3.27 volts
- Old battery (that was used the most): 2.93 volts
- Old battery (that was used the least): 2.95 volts

This tells me the degradation was mostly due to the battery shelf lifetime as opposed to heavy use. It also tells me there was likely quite a bit of life left in the old battery but how much depends on the design of the circuitry in the FOB and the receiver in the vehicle.

* Conclusion
I think I would have been fine waiting 3 years rather than replacing them after 2 years but again, these batteries are cheap and I don't want it to fail in an inconvenient location.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
It's been just over 2 years since I purchased my 2014 MDX so I decided to pro-actively replace the batteries in the key FOBs even though they'd likely last at least another year. New batteries are cheap insurance.

I measured the voltage on the old batteries and the new battery to get an idea of where they're at and thought some people here might be interested.

* Battery
The battery is a 3 volt CR2013 button cell battery. These are easily obtained at drug stores, grocery stores, etc. The one in the FOB was a Panasonic. I replaced it with a Duracell since I happened to have one on hand.

* How to change
Remove the metal key from the FOB by pressing the little release button. Use a coin to pry the two halves of the FOB apart. Simply remove the old battery and pop in the new one. Make sure to keep the polarity the same.

* Voltages
After 2 years of use with almost all use being done by just one of the FOBs the voltages are -
- New battery: 3.27 volts
- Old battery (that was used the most): 2.93 volts
- Old battery (that was used the least): 2.95 volts

This tells me the degradation was mostly due to the battery shelf lifetime as opposed to heavy use. It also tells me there was likely quite a bit of life left in the old battery but how much depends on the design of the circuitry in the FOB and the receiver in the vehicle.

* Conclusion
I think I would have been fine waiting 3 years rather than replacing them after 2 years but again, these batteries are cheap and I don't want it to fail in an inconvenient location.
I think you get a warning long before the batteries go. I received a message on my volvo.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mdxstang, were you noticing a decreased distance in the fob locking/unlocking/remote starting the car?
Thanks. You, super tech, and Vancouver really are very good at info. Even though I hate my car, I do like and respect the 3 of your opinions greatly.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
were you noticing a decreased distance in the fob locking/unlocking/remote starting the car?
Even though I hate my car
No - I didn't notice any problem with it at all - just applying some preventative maintenance.

Sorry to hear you hate your car. I've had a great experience with mine and mine is a very early one (June 2013) where one would expect more problems than later ones. Maybe I just got lucky.

I think you get a warning long before the batteries go.
According to the manual it's:
"If the indicator doesn't come on when the button is depressed, replace the battery"

That description implies that the only 'warning; is that it doesn't work anymore unless for some reason the indicator fails to come on while there's still reasonable life left in the battery, which is unlikely. Besides - I never look at the FOB indicator when using it so I wouldn't notice the indicator 'not' being on.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
No - I didn't notice any problem with it at all - just applying some preventative maintenance.

Sorry to hear you hate your car. I've had a great experience with mine and mine is a very early one (June 2013) where one would expect more problems than later ones. Maybe I just got lucky.

According to the manual it's:
"If the indicator doesn't come on when the button is depressed, replace the battery"

That description implies that the only 'warning; is that it doesn't work anymore unless for some reason the indicator fails to come on while there's still reasonable life left in the battery, which is unlikely. Besides - I never look at the FOB indicator when using it so I wouldn't notice the indicator 'not' being on.
I'll let you know when the time comes. I would be shocked that it would just fail.
Thanks for the info. My Volvo lasted 3 years before the warning.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I suspect you have the battery number wrong; on my 2016 the batteries are CR2032s. FWIW the 20 is the diameter in millimeters, and the 32 is the thickness in tenths of millimeters (3.2mm in this case). In a pinch CR2025 or CR2016 might work; I've never heard of CR2017.

I put a new CR2032 in one of the business card windows of the leather owner's folder in case of battery failure. The physical key would still allow access to the car, and then the battery could be replaced before starting the engine.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the batteries are CR2032
You're right - it's a CR2032. I mis-typed and apparently didn't catch the typo - thanks for correcting this.

I'm actually very familiar with the CR2032 battery since I designed them into a couple of circuit boards I designed that we made thousands of so you'd think I would have typed the number correctly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just curious, how long has the battery lasted for those who have had to replace it.

Today, the MDX gave the warning that the battery was low, for both Key Fobs (we happened to have both keys with us, and tested).

It's been 2 years and 2 months... just curious if that's what people are getting for battery life.

thanks in advance for comments

·
Registered
251 Posts
I got the message on the dash today, "Keyless Remote Battery Low", the words Battery Low were below Keyless Remote,
and an outline of a fob and an outline of an A or AA battery with one bar left displayed. These are between the speedo and the tach "dials". I'm at 28 months of having the vehicle and use the second fob sparingly, but I decided to replace both batteries now since I had eight CR2032 spares in the house.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I got the message about 23 months into ownership and changed out both FOB batteries a little ways back. We were over 50,000 miles however. They weren't too difficult to change, but more difficult than I anticipated as far as kind of having to pry the sides open.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the great, detailed info, mdxstang. As for me, I've had my 2014 MDX for 24 mos. and got the battery low message a few days ago. I don't know how long I can go before it completely dies, but I won't take any chances and will replace my 2nd fob's battery, too. (Btw, I only had one instance, approx 1 week ago, where the fob was unresponsive, but I got the message this week.)

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
IKEA batteries will without a doubt work. They will be built to spec where everything is built these days. I would expect a longer life out of Panasonic or Duracell. My experience with IKEA alkaline was that they did not measure up to Kirkland or Duracell.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Following the instructions in the owner's manual, I tried using a coin to open the keyless remote to replace the battery. All I managed to do was scuff the plastic where the coin is inserted. I also tried using a large screwdriver instead of the coin, but it did not work either. The owner's manual gets a "fail" on this recommendation.

So I searched on the web for hints on how to open the fob. There is a deep cavity in the fob after you remove the built-in key; the key shaft fits in the cavity. I found a youtube video that suggests inserting a medium-sized flathead screwdriver in the cavity and turning it to pry the fob open. I tried this procedure which worked amazingly well. This process completely opened the fob for me. See

·
Registered
1 Posts
32 months before the warning on the dashboard appeared. After that it was still good for over a week, I am exchanging it now, so I do not know how long it would have lasted since the warning. warning,

1 - 20 of 33 Posts