Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 275 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2014 Acura mdx with advanced and entertainment package about 3 weeks ago from Suburban Acura, Farmington Hills, MI. It has only 1200 miles now but twice I had to get the car towed to dealer ( Suburban Acura, Farmington Hills, MI on 10-14-2013 and Acura of Peabody, Peabody, MA on 10-25-13) because all warning lights - engine malfunction, AWD, power steering, LDW, vehicle stability, etc. were staying on. In addition on 10-20-13, there was an instance where all lights came on and car stopped moving for few minutes with accelerator and brake locked on. The last instance happened when my wife and I were visiting Boston from Michigan. Peabody Acura technicians consulted with engineers at Acura headquarters in California and filed a case report with Acura regarding this vehicle. Peabody Acura thought that engine valves were tight and they adjusted the valves. They will ship the car to my home address in Michigan, even though Peabody Acura and Acura engineers can not say whether the same problem will happen again.

My question to the forum is : how concerned I should be about the safety in driving this car? I am worried that the car will become impaired in the middle of the highway leading to a serious accident. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi khokon
I just experienced the same issue leaving work all dash lights came on with the exact same description as yours I was able to drive it to dealer where I was given a loaner for the night until tomorrow. The truck only has 300 km on it.
Service advisor has not seen this issue yet this is first case.
I read on another site that this is related to a relay or fuse?

·
Registered
963 Posts
I think you should both report this to NHTSA.

I sense a recall potential here once they figured out the cause of this issue.

·
Registered
89 Posts
This is concerning. Actually I have had 2 warnings since owning the car fro 3 months. First was on battery not working and the second happened a week ago saying that the CMBS and the ACC are not working. Both resolved with stoppped and started again. I plan to mention it to the dealer as I will be soon due for my first oil change. I have read elsewhere of such triggers for other poeple. I still do like the car but this sort of sensor triggers is not good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
wow that is scary -- i have only 400 miles on it -- but will keep an eye on it now - please keep us updated.

I am wondering if Acura can give the refund + extra for all the grief

·
Registered
426 Posts
I got one as a loaner last week with 6 miles on it and it had the same exact issue! All warning lights on and cycling. Re-starting the car a few times did nothing, so I drove it back and got a different loaner. The car did seem to drive fine thought. There is definitely a problem that needs to be addressed and it looks like the cars are being built with the issue to start with. If anyone hears what the solution is, it would be interesting to know.

·
Registered
652 Posts
You guys must start to categorize these types of things as "features" not faults, otherwise it will drive you crazy.

·
Registered
300 Posts
That's right. Last week when the system became stuck in "backup camera mode" while I was driving away (forward, not reverse) and stayed there I just classified it as an electronic review mirror. That way if I have a big box in the back that is blocking my view I can simply use the backup camera to see what is behind me. Except that when I turned the car off it went away and I haven't been able to bring it back. (And of course the fact that none of the system buttons like Nav or Phone would work was a bit disconcerting.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dash lights all come on.

:headshake
I purchased a 2014 Acura mdx with advanced and entertainment package about 3 weeks ago from Suburban Acura, Farmington Hills, MI. It has only 1200 miles now but twice I had to get the car towed to dealer ( Suburban Acura, Farmington Hills, MI on 10-14-2013 and Acura of Peabody, Peabody, MA on 10-25-13) because all warning lights - engine malfunction, AWD, power steering, LDW, vehicle stability, etc. were staying on. In addition on 10-20-13, there was an instance where all lights came on and car stopped moving for few minutes with accelerator and brake locked on. The last instance happened when my wife and I were visiting Boston from Michigan. Peabody Acura technicians consulted with engineers at Acura headquarters in California and filed a case report with Acura regarding this vehicle. Peabody Acura thought that engine valves were tight and they adjusted the valves. They will ship the car to my home address in Michigan, even though Peabody Acura and Acura engineers can not say whether the same problem will happen again.

My question to the forum is : how concerned I should be about the safety in driving this car? I am worried that the car will become impaired in the middle of the highway leading to a serious accident. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Khokon

Can you provide feedback on adjustment of the valves worked on you 2014 MDX.

I have the same issue for the second time that happened on tuesday this time my wife was driving the MDX.

I spoke to the Tech at dealer and he says this is first case of this issue in canada and correction is same as what you mentioned was done to your.

This can be a bigger issue once weather starts to get colder.

·
Registered
79 Posts
All Warning Lights On

Just had the same problem today- all warning lights came on- error message saying emission problem, forward collision warning problem, power steering problem, etc (scrolling through on the dash display). Just dropped MDX off and got a loaner. Tried stopping/restarting the car a couple times- no help. Car drove OK. I drove it about 5-10 miles to the dealer w/ no problem

·
Registered
79 Posts
All Warning Lights On

Had the car in the shop since last Thursday for this issue. Anyone else experience it yet? The dealer said the didn't find anything wrong, but wanted to keep the car and call Acura. I assume they reset the computer and it's 'OK' now, with no real diagnosis of what caused it....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, 3000 miles on my new MDX. Last night I could not turn the vehicle off. Pressed the start / stop button and it would cycle into accessory mode. Started an endless cycle of on to accessory mode and back again. Headlights came on and stayed on. Dead battery this morning. At dealership for diagnosis. Has anyone had this issue?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
^^ Just wondering - are you saying the headlights stayed on all night? If so, why didn't you pull a fuse or just disconnect the battery negative lead to at least not have your battery run down? I wonder if doing that would have reset the weird condition you ran into as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all, 3000 miles on my new MDX. Last night I could not turn the vehicle off. Pressed the start / stop button and it would cycle into accessory mode. Started an endless cycle of on to accessory mode and back again. Headlights came on and stayed on. Dead battery this morning. At dealership for diagnosis. Has anyone had this issue?
The other day when I pressed the button to turn off the car, it went into the accessory mode. I just assumed that I had somehow pressed it twice and so I pressed it again (with my foot off the brake) and it went off. Now I'm a little more concerned.

J

·
0 Posts
20 Miles on a new MDX Tech purchased today - same problem. Will not turn all the way off. Cycles through "Accessory" and "On." Figured it might be a switch in the shift lever since the manual says the car must be in park in order to turn it fully off. I banged on the shift level a few times and it let me turn off the car. Happened to my wife earlier in the day. She did not get it turned off and it drained the battery.

·
Registered
9 Posts

I have a 2014 MDX that I leased 5 weeks ago. In the past 5 weeks, my car has been in the dealer 5 times. i have had the same exact problems as you mention above, and acura said it had something to do with the fuel injector not being tightened properly. They "fixed it" and returned the car to me. Since then, i have had "battery failure" lights come on (which the dealer could not figure out the problem), the front passenger seat belt completely lock making it unusable, and most recently, as I was pulling out of a parking spot, the computer system malfunctioned, my steering wheel locked, and the car started rolling backward while the gear shift was in drive or park. And when I stepped on the gas (as hard as I possibly could), the brakes failed and would not stop the car. I had to step on the emergency brake to manually stop the car.

I called the dealer and they told me to drive the car over to them so they could look at it, and I told them there was no way i was driving the car, since the brakes just failed on me. I had it towed to the dealer, and now they are saying they cant find anything wrong with the car. i told them I refuse to take the car home, and risk my life and the lives of my 2 small children. Maybe next time the brakes will fail while I am driving 60 mph on the highway!!!! I have spoken with Acura, and so far, no one is doing anything to rectify the situation.

All I am asking for is a new WORKING car. I have threatened to take legal action, and to file it as a "lemon." Anyone have similar issues or have advice?

·
Registered
9 Posts
File this and all safety complaints here with NHTSA. Especially with something such as brakes not working!

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml

As the parent of two kids, this is worrisome and should be reported!
i wonder how many total cars are affected by this. the dealership is giving us the runaround and wont lemon the car even though it has been there 4 times for these issues as they can get it to do it while its there in their hands.

·
Registered
461 Posts
i wonder how many total cars are affected by this. the dealership is giving us the runaround and wont lemon the car even though it has been there 4 times for these issues as they can get it to do it while its there in their hands.
Have you familiarized yourself with your state's lemon law?

I doubt you've met the threshold of the lemon law. Thus, the dealer is probably correct.

1 - 20 of 275 Posts