Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

2014 MDX, interior vs the Lexus RX..

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  nelci 
#1 ·
I have a 2014 Tech, and love it. Today, I was asked to pick up my sister in law at the Lexus Dealer as she has a older 2009 RX, and was in for service. While waiting around, I poked around in the showroom, and sat in all the Lexus models, including the 2014 RX.

Here is what I immediately noticed...

1. The seats are in fact more plush as soon as you sit in them. However, after sitting in them for 5min, it's hard to tell the difference. I do feel that the 2014 MDX seats are also nice, and much improved vs the 2012 MDX. Although, the Lexus maybe one up here.

2. The leather is a bit softer all around. Seats, and doors. But, it looks no better in anyway then that of whats in the MDX.. and who knows, it may even ware faster as a result.

3. Plastic galore in the RX. A lot of it. Especially where the radio is etc.. and the radio itself was a joke in terms of looks, and cheap buttons. Very very much Toyota corolla in terms of look and feel.

4. The A-pillars, and head liner were very nice to the touch, more so then on the MDX. No rear air controls on the RX tho. Weird.

5. The wood trim was also nice, but so was the MDX's.. and if it's real wood on the Lexus.. then it looks just as fake as the MDX. In fact.. I was REALLY disappointed on the GS, and the ES cars they had in the showroom.. I felt they felt very cheap in this regard too.. and has a plastic feel with leather on-top etc..

Over all, I was not impressed but yet can say they are comparable in different ways. The MDX's center armrest is nicer.. but, I do wish the cup holder area was trimmed like the new TLX will be in the pics I have seen!? I find it strange that the new TLX will have a more luxurious interior then the MDX. I can only hope that the MMC 2016 / 17 MDX will have this too. But, I also think it's unlikely they would change something like that inside the car.

Granted I have never driven an RX.. but, I felt like a "chic" in this car (I am a 33yr old man)... lol.

I can see where Lexus is a comparable brand to Acura.. but, for all of you thinking it is a premium brand over Acura.. I have to say, that it maybe.. but, only in certain places.. and not overall. There is plenty of places where the plastic, and cheapness come to life.. and it removes the "luxury" from the total package somewhat.

Also, FWIW.. when the new infotainment system came out on the '14 MDX I was not a fan at all. In fact, I almost did not buy the car just because of how it looked etc.. NOW.. after a month of driving it, and using it.. I can't imagine it without it. and would never go back. Granted it's poking sometimes.. but. it works well.. and with AcuraLink its a really cool system that is MUCH better then what I saw with Lexus. It looks now much more "luxury / tech" then the old school plastic buttons on the Lexus, which is found in all of their cars..

Glad I went with Acura :)

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a 2014 Tech, and love it. Today, I was asked to pick up my sister in law at the Lexus Dealer as she has a older 2009 RX, and was in for service. While waiting around, I poked around in the showroom, and sat in all the Lexus models, including the 2014 RX.

Here is what I immediately noticed...

1. The seats are in fact more plush as soon as you sit in them. However, after sitting in them for 5min, it's hard to tell the difference. I do feel that the 2014 MDX seats are also nice, and much improved vs the 2012 MDX. Although, the Lexus maybe one up here.

2. The leather is a bit softer all around. Seats, and doors. But, it looks no better in anyway then that of whats in the MDX.. and who knows, it may even ware faster as a result.

3. Plastic galore in the RX. A lot of it. Especially where the radio is etc.. and the radio itself was a joke in terms of looks, and cheap buttons. Very very much Toyota corolla in terms of look and feel.

4. The A-pillars, and head liner were very nice to the touch, more so then on the MDX. No rear air controls on the RX tho. Weird.

5. The wood trim was also nice, but so was the MDX's.. and if it's real wood on the Lexus.. then it looks just as fake as the MDX. In fact.. I was REALLY disappointed on the GS, and the ES cars they had in the showroom.. I felt they felt very cheap in this regard too.. and has a plastic feel with leather on-top etc..

Over all, I was not impressed but yet can say they are comparable in different ways. The MDX's center armrest is nicer.. but, I do wish the cup holder area was trimmed like the new TLX will be in the pics I have seen!? I find it strange that the new TLX will have a more luxurious interior then the MDX. I can only hope that the MMC 2016 / 17 MDX will have this too. But, I also think it's unlikely they would change something like that inside the car.

Granted I have never driven an RX.. but, I felt like a "chic" in this car (I am a 33yr old man)... lol.

I can see where Lexus is a comparable brand to Acura.. but, for all of you thinking it is a premium brand over Acura.. I have to say, that it maybe.. but, only in certain places.. and not overall. There is plenty of places where the plastic, and cheapness come to life.. and it removes the "luxury" from the total package somewhat.

Also, FWIW.. when the new infotainment system came out on the '14 MDX I was not a fan at all. In fact, I almost did not buy the car just because of how it looked etc.. NOW.. after a month of driving it, and using it.. I can't imagine it without it. and would never go back. Granted it's poking sometimes.. but. it works well.. and with Acura Link its a really cool system that is MUCH better then what I saw with Lexus. It looks now much more "luxury / tech" then the old school plastic buttons on the Lexus, which is found in all of their cars..

Glad I went with Acura :)
If you had driven the RX it would have sealed your decision to get the MDX.The RX is a comfy rider with no fun.It might work for some but not for me.The sad fact is that a newly designed MDX is still falling behind some of the luxury feel compared to a 5 yr old model[RX] as you mentioned.

#3 ·
Concur!! As I was looking at the MDX, the Q7, X5 and the Lexus GX460, I felt
the interiors of the Audi and Beemer were superior as far as fit and finish, but the Lexus was a joke in so many ways!! No wonder why I never see many on the street! The leather was more supple, but that really was about it! A major factor for me was cargo and utility space, as I am a drummer and need the room for transporting. Acura hands down won that battle!! Q7 is a big vehicle, but more clumsy than large, and handles nothing like the MDX! X5 is so small, but is nice other than that and it's ridiculous price and infamous reliability and future service costs. I took delivery of the MDX on Nov, just in time for Chicago's third worst winter on record, and it handled so impeccably In the snow that I actually looked forward to snowfalls!! I too am acclimating to the somewhat dubious infotainment system, and am starting to enjoy it! Wish the voice recognition system worked better, such as when I say "call Al Johnson" and it responds with "it is 6:05pm!", but I can live with that. Hopefully, Siri eyes free or whatever Apple interface is implemented and my point will be moot.

#4 ·
Where Lexus has the upper hand big time on Acura in my opinion is the REAR Wheel drive autos..the IS/GS/LS are superior in most ways to Acura's offerings. They aren't their biggest sellers, but they are very nice cars and have been for a while. Acura would be smart to offer something, anything of the like.

#5 ·
.The sad fact is that a newly designed MDX is still falling behind some of the luxury feel compared to a 5 yr old model[RX] as you mentioned.
Yeah, I do think that they could just do a few minor things to help with that. Perhaps on the next gen. they will get it right. I feel like the interior on the RLX should have been on the MDX.. and I also now think at the very least they should have put the new TLX center on the MDX.. (wood trim vs. flat black plastic). This is the biggest place where I feel the car could be nicer on a simple fix kinda way.

Wish the voice recognition system worked better, such as when I say "call Al Johnson" and it responds with "it is 6:05pm
LOl, I know! what I have better luck with, is just saying the persons name.. and then let the phone list come up.. extra step for sure.. but works more reliably.

#6 ·
Yeah, I do think that they could just do a few minor things to help with that. Perhaps on the next gen. they will get it right. I feel like the interior on the RLX should have been on the MDX.. and I also now think at the very least they should have put the new TLX center on the MDX.. (wood trim vs. flat black plastic). This is the biggest place where I feel the car could be nicer on a simple fix kinda way.

LOl, I know! what I have better luck with, is just saying the persons name.. and then let the phone list come up.. extra step for sure.. but works more reliably.
I just looked up the TLX interior and see what ur saying re the wood look console area. I'm wondering if it will be the same size inlay and if we can order and place in the MDX? I would consider that! On my old 03 MDX, Acura offered an option for wood inlay on the dash and I ordered that and the walnut shift knob. Hopefully these will be available soon. Saw on eBay a kit for wood trim overlay (not inlay) on the new MDX, but it was a bit much and not sure how it would fit over existing setup.

Sounds good re phone, but do u have to say "phone call" first before saying the name so it knows u are in the phone commands? I'm afraid it would start searching the HDD for a song called "Al Johnson!"

Also, how can I delete specific songs that have been recorded from an entire CD?

#7 ·
It was between an RX and the MDX for my wife and I. The center console on the RX steered her toward the MDX. It infringed on my wife's space. Plus the center arm rests weren't as convenient.

#10 ·
I own a lexus ct200h & Acura 2014 Tech MDX and used to own a 2010 Camry.

Lexus/Camry take less than a second to connect to bluetooth. No issue with call migration to bluettoh.
Acura takes more than 5 seconds to connect to bluetooth and you cannot hear anything when it is trying to connect. You have to say wait to the other person. :)

I got a loaner ES350 and the center console is very fast & very responsive. Acura is very sluggish.

The love part with electronics on Acura.. surprises me.

Acura drives better and I think it is next only to X5 in that range, atleast when I test drove late 2013.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.