Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
75K currently and starting about a month ago, I have noticed higher RPM when the car shifts up (2nd, 3rd, 4th). Most of the time, the up shift occurred under 2500 (when accelerating "softly") but suddenly increases to more than 3000 RPM now. This is not due to a "heavier foot", climbing hills, etc. as this occurs while driving on the same, flat neighborhood roads. No significant repairs / maintenance etc over last 6 months, however, DIY tranny (flushed 3 times), diff, transfer case fluids all replaced last 12 months, and a new high speed fuel pump replaced (by the dealer). Not a big deal but I am somewhat sensitive to a car acting differently so wondering any insights are available here :)

·
Registered
673 Posts
also remember that there is a torque converter lock up. if you have your foot in it at all the torque converter unlocks which raises the RPM. When you had the tranny flushed did you also have the newer software uploaded?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your [email protected] dealer visits last 6+ months and this started to happen recently (and no battery disconnection / drainage during that period either). @sgkent...there was a software upgrade 1.5 year ago due to this well-documented RPM hunting due to a VCM issue. The SW upgrade was well before DIY tranny flush. Again, not a big deal but I have had a habit of releasing the gas peal EVER SO LIGHTLY during a upshift (an old habit) and when no upshift occurs and RPM just drops, it is mildly annoying :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Could the IDS system do this if it was in sport mode instead of comfort?

Some manufacturers program vehicles to hold gears longer in cold weather to speed up reaching operating temp.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A great insight...I only thought IDS was a suspension / ride comfort function and did not have any RPM impacts (like D vs. S setting on the tranny / shifter). Will continue to watch / trial and error...thanks!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts