Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please advice...
I have 2014 MDX tech fwd with 40k miles. Car came with continental OEM which are in need to be replaced.
1. Which tires to go for which can handle CT weather?

2. Current continental came with 245/55R19 -
I have read on forums to go for 250 instead of 245?

TIA

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I love how you use the words "handle", "weather", and "FWD" in the same sentence. As-if, lol.

Michelin Premier LTX is what I'd recommend.

245/55R19 was stock, so I'd stick with that, unless you have a specific reason to deviate.

I've never seen a "250" width tire. Do you mean 255?

Reactions: mark890

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Read the other threads that are already here regarding the topic you started a new thread for. It's all been discussed already.

Now - I'll go ahead and repeat myself somewhat -

I replaced the Continentals on my 2014 shawd with Michelin Premier LTX. I liked the Continentals okay and had no problems with them, i.e. no balance issues, no uneven wear issues, and handled fine including in rain.

The Michelins also appear to be fine although I haven't driven them in real rain yet since it hasn't rained here in 4-5 months or so and I surprisingly drove coast to coast without encountering rain and just a bit of rain + hail on the road + possibly snow on the road (the only moisture I encountered was in Arizona of all places) and it handled that okay. The reviews indicate they'll handle rain better than many tires.

So - in my experience both the Continentals and the Michelin Premier LTX tires are fine. I expect the Michelin Defender tires would have been okay also but I haven't driven an MDX with them (but did use them before on another SUV - they were fine).

I found the Michelins to be more available locally than the Continentals. Both Costco and Discount Tire stocked the Michelins and I ended up going with Discount but under the condition they price match Costco, which they did. I've found Tire Rack to always be more expensive than buying tires locally after you add up the cost of the tire, plus shipping, plus installation, so I've never actually purchased tires from them and probably never will since I don't think they can compete with tires that are locally stocked by other major tire places.

I don't see any reason to mess with the size of the tire - I just went with the stock size. If Acura thought there'd be a significant increase in performance without negatively impacting other aspects of the vehicle, including gas mileage, they'd have probably specified them for the vehicle.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I too replaced the tires with Michelin Latitude Tour HP . Handle snow and rain fine here in Canada. I bought mine at Costco and saved a couple hundred Dollars. I would not hesitate to recommend them..

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have Michelin Defender LTX tires on the MDX. They seem to perform well enough in the four season weather I see in the Northeast.

If you're looking for something with slightly better performance in winter weather, there is a growing market for "All Weather" tires. These tires have the three peak mountain snowflake symbol on the sidewall, which means they have been certified for severe winter duty. Compared to a dedicated winter tire, these might not handle snow and ice quite as well. However, they can be used in the summer months while it's not recommended for a dedicated winter tire.

I've found four tire models in the 245/55R19 size that fit within the All Weather designation:
-Nokian WRG3 SUV
-Toyo Celsius CUV
-Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady
-BF Goodrich T-A Sport LT

Just some food for thought if you're looking for a tire to run year-round with a slight bias towards winter weather performance.

·
Registered
474 Posts
The latitude Tour HP are an all weather tire at least up here in Canada (Snow flake on the side) . If you drive in snow alot then you should probably consider a second set of dedicated snow tires. I get maybe 4 snow falls a year lasting up to a week and have no problems with the latitude. I carry chains for the mountains which i would with a dedicated snow tire as they can only handle so much themselves.

·
Registered
577 Posts
You haven't given us much to go on. Generally speaking, since you live in an area with annual snow, there are 2 approaches: have 2 sets of tires (winter, and all-season) or one all-weather set of tires.

With 2 sets of tires you can buy really great winter tires, like Nokian or Michelin offer. Then drive all-season the rest of the year. My '16 Base came with Latitude Tour HP's and I like them as all-round (non-performance) tires. They are not Severe-Service rated, and I just checked Michelin's US site and it doesn't show that either. So all-season here at least.

The other option, as @Emmet notes, is an all-weather tire. These are basically all-season but with winter performance upgraded to Severe Service standards. When compared to dedicated winter tires, they fall in about the middle of the pack (at least true for Nokian and Toyo). So if you only occasionally need winter tires these will do the job admirably. Even if you encounter a lot of snow you will be better off than half the people with dedicated tires, so unless you want the absolute best in winter performance (and are willing to pay for premium tires and extra rims) and/or summer high performance these are a great solution.

Nokian invented the all-weather tire (and invented the modern winter tire as well). They are now up to their 4th generation: model WR G4, or in our case the WR G4 SUV (which has more aggressive cleats). They are the standard, and the one to beat. Toyo came out with a competitor a few years ago, and it performs at about the same level. The other two are recent entries, so do some research if you are considering one of them. Unfortunately Michelin has not been in this market, although perhaps @Wilsoncc has a recent entrant with his tires.

Severe Service is indicated by a logo of a snowflake overlaid on a mountain. If it isn't on the sidewall it is not Severe Service. From a performance point of view you really want this for any tire used in the winter. Also, in some states (Oregon for me) it is allowed in lieu of chains in most winter conditions. Always check for it - salesmen will sometimes say anything to make the sale.

@mdxstang is right: this is well-trod territory, which has been covered in at least one other thread in the last year. It is considered good netiquette to research existing threads before opening a new one. Just for future reference.

·
Registered
474 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
I think I have the source of the confusion: Michelin makes a number of designs named "Latitude". The Latitude Tour and Tour HP are all-season tires as in the States. The Latitude X-Ice Xi2, Latitude Alpin, Latitude Alpin HP, and Latitude Alpin LA2 are winter tires, and probably do have the mountain-snowflake icon. I checked on the Canadian site as well as US and it appears that the Tour tires do not have the icon. Subject to confirmation... Michelin does not recommend the winter tires for year-round use, and does not show an all-weather tire as best I can tell.

·
Registered
474 Posts
PDX sailor you are correct! Just checked mine to ensure i was not going crazy and it appears that i am! The Latitude Tour are indeed All season Tires and "do not" have the snowflake and are made in the USA. Apologies all around. However they have handled the snow we get but certainly not driving through the mountains in winter with them .

·
Registered
577 Posts
Good to get that sorted. Yes, I like the Tour HPs as well, just not for a snow-covered pass. Here I don't have a choice: I have to chain up for snowy passes if I don't have Severe Service tires on. Which is why I am looking forward to buying the Nokians, assuming nothing better is on offer. Thing is, I'm not putting that many miles on the MDX and the tires are wearing well (not a complaint). Now if Michelin would actually start offering an all-weather tire... I don't think they can continue to ignore the segment now that there are four competitors.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Now if Michelin would actually start offering an all-weather tire... I don't think they can continue to ignore the segment now that there are four competitors.

They recently came out with an all-weather tire in non-SUV sizes called the CrossClimate. I guess we'll have to wait and see if they expand their all-weather models to the SUV market.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Both my 2015 (now sold) and 2017 hybrid came with Continentals. I was, and am, very happy with the performance, smoothness and quiet of these tires. I think they are excellent. My one knock - and it is a major one - is that I had to replace them on my 2015 at about 35K miles. That’s pretty terrible for such an expensive tire.

I replaced the tires on my 2015 with Michelins. They were very expensive and I cannot recall the model. It was the one that comes with only about 8.5/32” of tread, but claims to have essentially no loss in performance until the tread gets down to about 3/32” or 4/32”. I thought that this was a wild claim, but Consumer Reports tested them and verified that the claim is true, so that might be a factor for anybody making a decision based on life-of-tire safety. Wet and winter traction seemed fine, although my experience driving in Minnesota winters anymore is thankfully limited. I sold my 2015 to my neighbor and the tires are still going strong and I think that they are going to give him a lot of miles. In any event, these Michelins were certainly good tires, but I liked the Continentals a bit more - quieter and smoother, for sure.

I have always preferred Michelins, but I now have Pirelli P7 and Continental on all of my cars. (The P7 is a really nice tire at an attractive price.) Have the other manufacturers caught up, or at least closed the gap on Michelin? I can’t say, but I do know that I have gotten tired of always paying more for Michelins - sometimes a lot more - so I started to try different brands and I am very happy with what I have now. When it comes time to replace the Conti’s on my 2017 I will likely go with another set, assuming that I get better miles on this set than the ones on the 2015. If not, I will go with either Michelin or Pirelli.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I went to Costco and the guy said :

1. Michelin Premier - 245/55R19- 218.99 per tire- 60k miles—-They r getting feedback from customers that they wear out quickly specially on SUV’s.
Is it for real??
I checked this forum and many ppl r using this with no issues...

2. Michelin Defender - 202.99 per tire-70k miles-
Costco guy was favoring this one and also they hve in stock and mentioned that this is good for my MDX.

Kindly let me know your thoughts???
I am in CT and soon winters will be here.

2014 MDX tech FWD

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
The Premier will ride better, and will handle better.

The Defender will last longer and are a bit more "rugged" (don't confuse it for a truck tire, however).

You decide what's important to you.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
The Costco guy pushed the tire they have in stock to you over the one they don't have in stock. That's a classic salesperson bias since the quicker the sale the more likely the sale will happen. I wouldn't put much credence in what he said because of that bias even if the conclusion ends up to be correct. I bought my Premiers at Discount Tire which had both Premiers and Defenders in stock and they matched the Costco price when Costco was having a pretty decent sale on Michelins.

I don't doubt the Premiers might not get the mileage the Defenders will get but I chose the Premier since mileage isn't everything. I went with a tire that's supposed to be somewhat better at handling although they both appear to be good tires. I wouldn't get caught up in using just the attribute of how long they last as the main metric unless that's truly all you care about in which case you should probably broaden your search to compare $/mileage.

I don't have enough miles on my Premiers to have an idea of how long they'll last yet. I'll report back when I know but that'll likely be some years from now unless the mileage ends up to be ridiculously short.

In the end, either tire will likely be quite decent.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts