Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2014 MDX Tech SH-AWD
31 Posts
The 6-speed is a little firmer than others you may have driven...in particular offerings from Toyota and of course any CVT. Just takes some getting used to.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks guys for replies and useful info. It definitely helped in decision making - I've agreed with the seller on pricing yesterday and plan to pick up the MDX on Tuesday.

I'm very excite to get back to owning an Acura! I was a happy owner of 04 Acura TL years ago. The MDX will be my wife's main vehicle, but I'll drive it from time to time. I plan to sell my wife's 13 RX450h to my parents-in-law which would be a good choice for elderly couple. RX450h is a great vehicle overall, but I admit it's little boring to drive it. Even the hybrid version of RX wasn't fun to drive :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Just picked up the 14 MDX Advance FWD. The tranny does not feel that jerky driving back home today and is drives tight and great - and lane keep assist works pretty well! Better that I expected for 2014. I’m glad I found one with the advance package and low miles. Want to keep it for 10 years :)

The only disappointment so far is a poor backup camera display quality (very dull and not clear) and overall infotainment screen resolution / clarity - compared to 2014 Lexus RX screen and backup cam.

Also noticed subtle clunking that appears coming from the front end when it starts moving. Something that I need to look at.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks for the reminder on the service items. I really wish Honda/Acura will switch to an engine with a timing chain in the near future that will not require a major service every 100k miles.

By the way, I wonder most people change a timing belt at 7 years even if the mileage is well below 105k. 7 years or 105k miles whichever is sooner is what Acura recommends but is it really risky waiting for it to hit about 105k miles?
You are making the biggest rookie mistake when thinking about owning a vehicle. It is always a good idea to factor in regular maintenance done by someone else as a fixed portion of the cost of ownership, not just up front costs and/or monthly payments incurred at purchase. This way, you can budget ahead and get a vehicle that truly ‘fits’ your particular needs. Otherwise, I suggest dumping/trading in your vehicles before hitting stress points to your budget such as timing belt/water pump replacement, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
You are making the biggest rookie mistake when thinking about owning a vehicle. It is always a good idea to factor in regular maintenance done by someone else as a fixed portion of the cost of ownership, not just up front costs and/or monthly payments incurred at purchase. This way, you can budget ahead and get a vehicle that truly ‘fits’ your particular needs. Otherwise, I suggest dumping/trading in your vehicles before hitting stress points to your budget such as timing belt/water pump replacement, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure what base you're making your claim of the biggest rookie mistake of buying this vehicle but I'm no rookie in purchasing used vehicles. Although I don't know a lot about 3rd gen MDX models compared to people here yet, but I've bought and sold over 15 used vehicles over last 20 year period with a lot of success (learned from a couple of mistakes in the beginning) mostly on Craigslist and I do quite a bit of research before making a purchase.

I buy vehicles with a verifiable service history and from private parties only with cash. Meeting and talking to an actual owner can give me useful information (I know I can't trust 100% but it is same with used car dealers, if not worse) and I leverage quick cash purchase to get the price down to where I want based on KBB values and similar vehicles found on CarGurus, Autotrader, Cars.com, etc. I did turn profits on couple of used vehicles purchases and sold that are in very high demand, Toyota 4Runner. I paid $17,000 for this specific MDX and Carvana's quick cash purchase price was $16,750 as-is.

Having an accounting background and having been working in a position of managing finance/accounting for a company I work for for a long time has helped me with analyzing financial aspects of any major purchase decisions I made. Vehicles usually never appreciate in value and new vehicles are hit with a huge depreciation right after purchase so I don't buy brand new cars. People say buy a new car and drive it worry free for few years, trade in and buy another new one. I don't agree with this. I do have money to buy brand new cars every few years but I'd rather save and invest that money for my retirement and kids' college funds.

I do factor in estimated costs associated with ownership of vehicles including major services like timing belt and water pump replacement. However, I never take my vehicle to a dealership for major services - unless there's a service special that's worth considering. I have a mechanic I've had my cars services for years at a good rate. I bring OEM parts purchased online and pay my mechanic labor to complete the work. I'm normally able to save about 70~80% doing this for major services. I use Mobile 1 Synthetic and OEM filter and pay him $10 for the labor for oil change. I buy tires online and pay him $10 per tire to install and balance. I don't mind spending time doing online research and a couple hours on the weekend bring the vehicle to my mechanic for service. I trust my mechanic more than the dealers.

We'll see how it turns out, but I don't think this purchase was a rookie mistake. You must have made a few huge rookie mistakes in the past but don't assume everyone's like you.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
The timing belt issue of sticking with 7 years of time -vs- 105k of mileage at +7 yrs is a tricky gamble with the stakes being saving cash over total loss of vehicle engine. The gamble also includes going longer with spark plugs, water pump, coolant, serpentine belt kit, and valve adjustment.

It was only about $600 to do the 105k service on my 06 TSX and 08 RDX because they have a timing chain. I did notice both vehicles started faster, ran better, and had improved mpgs after the service. I figured I got back some lost performance/mpgs that slowly declined waiting until 105k. Decided to change out my spark plugs on my 11 MDX at 75k and my performance and mpgs has stayed consistent before/after the 105k service (now have +143k).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The timing belt issue of sticking with 7 years of time -vs- 105k of mileage at +7 yrs is a tricky gamble with the stakes being saving cash over total loss of vehicle engine. The gamble also includes going longer with spark plugs, water pump, coolant, serpentine belt kit, and valve adjustment.

It was only about $600 to do the 105k service on my 06 TSX and 08 RDX because they have a timing chain. I did notice both vehicles started faster, ran better, and had improved mpgs after the service. I figured I got back some lost performance/mpgs that slowly declined waiting until 105k. Decided to change out my spark plugs on my 11 MDX at 75k and my performance and mpgs has stayed consistent before/after the 105k service (now have +143k).
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not planning to wait too long and risk the engine failure with the timing belt change.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello cherishzm, We own a 2014 MDX advance FWD with 57,000 miles with Acura Care. We bought it in late 2015 as a CPO with 6,000. Since we've owned it we have had only minor issues all under warranty. I wold refer you tot he sticky on this forum with all of the TBS for this year and make sure they were performed.
A common issue we faced was the battery. It seems the Acura battery just did not have the legs to go more than 15 months. Finally I purchased a battery from Costco and that has been great.
As for Drivers assist, the adaptive cruise is excellent and will help with long distance highway driving. The lane assist relies on road markings so at time it does loose its way. I use it as a back up when driving but never rely on it to keep my 100% safe.
The transmission is a 6 speed with the paddle shifter which are great for passing. As is the IDS which allows you to select a drive version such as normal and sport. Yes we have experience the shutter others mentioned and you will find 2 TBS on this issue. My transmission has been reprogrammed as well as two transmission services where the entire 10qts have been drained and filled. In my opinion there is something going on with the transmission where the fluid deteriorates and creates the shutter. I plan on paying for the drain and fill service (10qts) every 30k to keep this at bay. I would not hesitate to recommend this car as it has served us well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks for the tips on TSB's. Would Acura dealerships perform TSB at no charge if the VIN of a vehicle is in the affected range and it has the symptoms (out of warranty)? My MDX just ran out of warranty by few months and 1000 miles.

The previous owner replaced the battery not long ago so that's good.

There were two transmission services done at 27k and 53k miles at a dealership. I'm thinking about doing 3 x ATF drain & fill using compatible Amsoil ATF at agout 75k miles, but most people in the forum recommend sticking with the OEM Honda DW1 ATF. I had a great experience with using Amsoil synthetic ATF in my old 05 Honda Odyssey (Transmission judder gone and smooth shifting after initial 3 x drain & fill completed 6 years ago and one more drain & fill about 4 years ago. Haven't done drain & fill since then but it's going very strong at 187k miles). Did anyone have bad experiences using non-OEM ATF?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Thanks for the tips on TSB's. Would Acura dealerships perform TSB at no charge if the VIN of a vehicle is in the affected range and it has the symptoms (out of warranty)? My MDX just ran out of warranty by few months and 1000 miles.

The previous owner replaced the battery not long ago so that's good.

There were two transmission services done at 27k and 53k miles at a dealership. I'm thinking about doing 3 x ATF drain & fill using compatible Amsoil ATF at agout 75k miles, but most people in the forum recommend sticking with the OEM Honda DW1 ATF. I had a great experience with using Amsoil synthetic ATF in my old 05 Honda Odyssey (Transmission judder gone and smooth shifting after initial 3 x drain & fill completed 6 years ago and one more drain & fill about 4 years ago. Haven't done drain & fill since then but it's going very strong at 187k miles). Did anyone have bad experiences using non-OEM ATF?
As a fellow Ody owner I have never used Honda ATF. I have used both Mobil 1 and Valvoline MaxLife with no issues. I like the shift characteristics a tad better with Mobil 1, but not enough to spend 2X the money for it vs the MaxLife.

As for TSB's, typically dealerships don't do those for free. It is not a recall, which is always a covered repair. A TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) is issued to help dealerships diagnose common issue quicker, but just because a particular failure is common doesn't mean there is a 100% failure rate and the "if it isn't broke don't fix it rule still applies. In many cases the TSB will come with a warranty extension for the issue, like the oil consumption issue for '10-'13 MDXs that got covered for 8 years/120K miles.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts