Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just info for any other 3rd gen MDX owners whi might run into a similar issue.

At about the 4.5 year point (after warranty) the chrome on the plastic trim ring around the front grille on my 2014 MDX started bubbling up along about a 6 inch length of it on the upper part of the piece up near the hood. I'm sure this was due to a quality issue in that the underlying plastic piece likely had some contaminants on it when it was chromed and it just took this long to start bubbling up separating. There was no discernible damage from a stone chip that might have caused it.

I purchased a new replacement piece for about $120 online from oemacuraparts along with a few pushpins just in case.

To replace the trim ring I removed the entire plastic grille piece to which it's mounted. This was simple and straightforward and involved removing some screws (around 6 or so) that were a combo of torx and phillips head screws. There were quite a few pushpins to remove that hold the grille to the bumper and metal support piece across the top. These were easy to remove with a flat blade screwdriver plush a pushpin removal tool I have although the latter could be skipped if need be and just the screwdriver used but the tool makes it easier and does less damage to the pushpin.

The 2 phillips screws on either end were easier to take out after taking all the other screws and pushpins out to get enough room for a stubby screwdriver to get them out but it wasn't difficult.

Once I had the grille out of the vehicle I removed the trim ring from it by removing a few more screws and then popping out the retaining tabs. Some of the retaining tabs on the trim ring broke off as I removed them from the slots in the grille. Since I was replacing the trim ring anyway this didn't matter but keep it in mind in case you want to reuse the trim ring - like if you just replaced the plastic grille itself or wanted to remove and wrap the trim ring. I think it'd be difficult to remove this piece without breaking some tabs unless perhaps one was 'very' careful.

The replacement trim ring popped into the grille easily and the grille reinstalled in the vehicle easily. The whole job was maybe 30 minutes or so and that's only because I had no instructions, hadn't removed the grille on an MDX before, and took my time.

While it was annoying to have to replace (or live with it) the piece I shouldn't have had to replace since it shouldn't have failed, it wasn't that costly, the replacement was readily available (in stock), and was simple and straightforward to do myself and I haven't had any other issues on this vehicle in 5 years/53K miles so I'm still quite happy with the vehicle.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Acura MDX ADV ENT
553 Posts
That's a lot of bubbling, haven't noticed anything of that sort on my MDX(its 4 years old).
But, I see paint bubbling on tailgate right below the rear glass. Will see what the dealer/Acura says about it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.