Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - looking for your help here.

This morning I tried to go to work and was met with my '14 MDX AWD going crazy. I've seen some similar posts in this forum but not sure I've heard of this situation I enjoyed today. Planning to get car towed to dealer her in Charlotte, NC tomorrow if I must.

- Depress brake and push start button
- Car tries to start up, engine tried to start but immediately dies; lots of clicking noises from the console
- Lights, radio, etc. come on - no start
- Push start button and car shuts down

Then...more fun

- Depress brake (not VERY hard) and push start button
- Clicking starts again, electronics come on - engine doesn't start
- Immediately front headlights start flashing literally many times a second with clicking - total strobe effect
- Push start button to shut off - gets quiet - then weird "woompf" comes over speakers in car

Let car sit 12 hours - same situation.

I have a video on Youtube but see that I don't have enough post counts.

Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
962 Posts
Most likely a low battery. You can try jumper cables or put it on a battery charger overnight. I just had to replace the battery in my 2014 about 4 months ago. The charging system puts out too low a voltage to properly charge the battery fully. I assume that this is one of the many things that Acura has done in an effort to increase MPG.

I was out of warranty by 2,000 miles, so I just went and bought a Diehard. No trouble since.

Some things may need to be reset after the battery is replaced. My tailgate did not open properly until I lifted it by hand. Sometimes the Sound System needs a recode and power windows need to do a relearn by running them fully down and up again and holding the button for about 2 seconds after the widow reaches it's full travel.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
My first thought also is that likely the battery died - i.e. is low on charge. All kinds of funny things can happen with the electronics due to a low battery.

This reminds me - I'm still on the original battery in my early 2014 (June 2013). I suppose the built-in precision warranty count down timer in it will fail it pretty soon.

Please post back what the problem actually was.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This exact same thing happened to me this morning and I just purchased my 2014 MDX last night!

It was a bad battery. AAA came to test it and it needed replaced. They dropped in a new battery and all was well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Hi all - looking for your help here.

This morning I tried to go to work and was met with my '14 MDX AWD going crazy. I've seen some similar posts in this forum but not sure I've heard of this situation I enjoyed today. Planning to get car towed to dealer her in Charlotte, NC tomorrow if I must.

- Depress brake and push start button
- Car tries to start up, engine tried to start but immediately dies; lots of clicking noises from the console
- Lights, radio, etc. come on - no start
- Push start button and car shuts down

Then...more fun

- Depress brake (not VERY hard) and push start button
- Clicking starts again, electronics come on - engine doesn't start
- Immediately front headlights start flashing literally many times a second with clicking - total strobe effect
- Push start button to shut off - gets quiet - then weird "woompf" comes over speakers in car

Let car sit 12 hours - same situation.

I have a video on Youtube but see that I don't have enough post counts.

Thanks for any advice
My 2011 MDX did that. It was a bad battery.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You have to wonder if the batteries aren't keeping up with the electronics. My '15 TLX had the battery replaced last winter and there is a bunch of '15s over on TLX forums with the same issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts