Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the local Acura dealership install a tow hitch/package on my 2014 MDX last month (Feb 2020). I am towing a ski boat with a trailer that has a 4 flat harness connection, so I also had to purchase an adapter for a round 7 flat pin to a 4 flat pin connector- I found a cheap one at Harbor Freight for $12.99 - in the pics attached.

The dealer said the MDX can tow up to 3,500 pounds without a transmission cooler, but if you want the 5,000 pound capacity the kit comes with an ATF cooler kit. Given all the known history of MDX transmission issues I thought that was a good investment. So what that means is you should probably not be towing something heavy like a ski boat long distances or in hilly geography without the tow package. I think a basic U-Haul travel trailer for moving would be fine with the 3,500 towing capacity without the tow kit.

Here are the part numbers below- it's not a cheap tow package, this is without labor. The bottom part of your rear bumper is replaced as part of this tow package kit which includes a visible label of the towing capacity. They forgot to place the plastic cap on the tow hitch opening so I need to get back in touch with them to get that.

I'm posting this that it might be useful for others looking to add a tow package if their MDX did not come with one originally. I'm assuming anyone with an MDX who is interested in this already has the AWD option- I have no idea what tow capacity is without the AWD option.

08L91-TZ5-201 HARNESS, TRLR H $200.00
08L92-TZ5-202 HITCH, TRAILER $405.00
06255-5J8-326 COOLER KIT (ATF) $370.38

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
The FWD version will max out at 3,500 lbs, but IMO even that should have a trans cooler. The only way I would forgo the trans cooler is at 1,500 lbs or below and even then it needs to be low profile like the smallest U-Haul. The larger U-Haul trailers push enough wind that the wind causes more drag than pure weight. In my experience a U-Haul at 1,800 lbs pulls harder than my 3,500 lb pop up camper.

·
Registered
2017 MDX Tech - Crystal Black Pearl/Black
660 Posts
How does it sit with the trailer loaded?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I will say that with the ATF Cooler in NYC Summers, I recorded temps above 245 without towing, so it is definitely trash. I will be upgrading in the future.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Car dude, So do you have the atf cooler installed now or are going to install one? I was going to install an aftermarket one that was substantially larger than the Acura one. I’ve used the Honda atf cooler on an odyssey seemed to work fine towing uhaul trailers, etc. but I want bigger for this transmission.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I bought my Acura hitch from an online salvage company for $90, I had to also buy the bolts and bumper hitch cover so I’m in it about $145, I painted it also. I bought the 4-pin connector on amazon for $17. I’m still deciding on the atf cooler. I contacted local Acura dealer about install, I could do it, but don’t want any hassle with warranty if transmission craps out.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Car dude, So do you have the atf cooler installed now or are going to install one? I was going to install an aftermarket one that was substantially larger than the Acura one. I’ve used the Honda atf cooler on an odyssey seemed to work fine towing uhaul trailers, etc. but I want bigger for this transmission.
I have the OEM Acura ATF cooler installed without the Tow hitch.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Just remember that there have been observations in this forum that say that the OEM cooler might have a negative affect on the shifting of the 9-speed trans. Maight want to research this in here before you install.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I’m working on a deal with the Acura dealership now. They need the work...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the local Acura dealership install a tow hitch/package on my 2014 MDX last month (Feb 2020). I am towing a ski boat with a trailer that has a 4 flat harness connection, so I also had to purchase an adapter for a round 7 flat pin to a 4 flat pin connector- I found a cheap one at Harbor Freight for $12.99 - in the pics attached.

The dealer said the MDX can tow up to 3,500 pounds without a transmission cooler, but if you want the 5,000 pound capacity the kit comes with an ATF cooler kit. Given all the known history of MDX transmission issues I thought that was a good investment. So what that means is you should probably not be towing something heavy like a ski boat long distances or in hilly geography without the tow package. I think a basic U-Haul travel trailer for moving would be fine with the 3,500 towing capacity without the tow kit.

Here are the part numbers below- it's not a cheap tow package, this is without labor. The bottom part of your rear bumper is replaced as part of this tow package kit which includes a visible label of the towing capacity. They forgot to place the plastic cap on the tow hitch opening so I need to get back in touch with them to get that.

I'm posting this that it might be useful for others looking to add a tow package if their MDX did not come with one originally. I'm assuming anyone with an MDX who is interested in this already has the AWD option- I have no idea what tow capacity is without the AWD option.

08L91-TZ5-201 HARNESS, TRLR H $200.00
08L92-TZ5-202 HITCH, TRAILER $405.00
06255-5J8-326 COOLER KIT (ATF) $370.38
For what it's worth, I have a 2014 MDX with roughly 96,000 miles. When we purchased it the dealer installed the 5,000 pound with ATF cooler trailer package. We have towed a 3,500# Airstream trailer through out the west over the past six years without any problems.

·
Registered
2017 MDX Tech - Crystal Black Pearl/Black
660 Posts
For what it's worth, I have a 2014 MDX with roughly 96,000 miles. When we purchased it the dealer installed the 5,000 pound with ATF cooler trailer package. We have towed a 3,500# Airstream trailer through out the west over the past six years without any problems.
How did the suspension hold up? How bad did it sag? How much did u feel pull on the engine?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts