Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Gen3 MDX:
This car has been used very seldom over the last year, battery has been dead once and been replaced.
Till that point things were normal, Satnav doesn't work as I am in Europe, but all else was functioning.
Car was again standing for about a month and been picked up from the storage by an acquaintance who brought it to me.

When getting to the car, the top display shows text as in the first pict, in the past the top display showed as in the 2nd pict.
As I tried to change things, I found out that all buttons on the center console incl the menu nav turn/push big center knob are all functionless (the buttons in pict 3).

I have no idea what happend, the guy says the car started up normally and display was as is now. Perhaps he isn't telling me something, like maybe the battery was empty and the car was jumpstarted?? I don't know, the battery was full when he brought the car.

Anybody ideas how it is possible that all the center console buttons are not working?? Where to look for, what to check???

Attachments

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Only way I know is that the buttons wont work because of the password when the battery dies hasn´t been input. But seeing you are past that screen its pretty darn weird. Are you able to select the Audio Input? or the screens enter into Audio Mode automatically?

It does prompt you to input both passwords for NAV and Stereo right?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I disconnected the battery and after reconnecting and starting up, it asked for the 2 sec push of the power button.

First time this didn't work and it asked the code, I shut off and started again and then the 2 sec push worked, but things were the same as before: top screen with the text.

On the lower screen the audio and AC functions show and pushscreen functions for audio/AC work.

I did find out that the lower left button with the sun/moon on it for the display brightness does work and if I push that, for that function the big knob in the middle works too for adjusting the brightness.

So with the exception of the button with brightness symbols (and in just that function the big center knob does work), none of the other switches on this panel function, center knob does nothing.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
There is no password or pin on 3G. Are all your buttons able to be pressed? There is a sticky button situation but i don't think that's it since the other buttons should still work. This is definitely a new problem i haven't seen.. hmm.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is no password or pin on 3G. Are all your buttons able to be pressed? There is a sticky button situation but i don't think that's it since the other buttons should still work. This is definitely a new problem i haven't seen.. hmm.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Yep, all these buttons are mechanically functional/ can be pressed and spring back, but nothing happens..

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have been to a guy who has OBD equipment that has the MDX in the system.
Weird, when connecting the OBD he sometimes gets in the car's system but every time he after less then a minute gets thrown out again, almost like there is a firewall blocking him.

By using the special service key combination, he could get into the car's own onboard service menu, but couldn't find any errors there.

We did find out that the satnav is completely off: it thinks the car is in the US and it gives time and altitude of that location..

Couldn't get any further till....
I got home again, started playing with the system and used the shortcut key on the stereo screen.

There I got into the screen where satnav can be activated, I activated routeguidance to the last used US adress and behold, the top screen came to life showing a US map, it started to give directions to the US adress starting from the US location the satnav thinks it is and when driving, the map was moving/ changing as if I was in the US.. so the satnav has gone completely insane.

After stopping the route... the top screen stayed active giving options menu
I suddenly could use all the keys that didn't work before and all functions worked.
However, when shutting all off and restarting, al was blocked again.

So: I now know how to get in through the route guidance, shut that off and I have the functions, but this is lame!!

I spoke to the test guy again and his conclusion is that my seller must have tried to load (wrong) EU satnav materials onto the HDD and as a result, now the system has a partial software crash.
He is going to try to find EU satnav from a EU Honda with a similar satnav system and are going to try loading that onto the HDD.
If that doesn't work, the only thing left to do is getting a correct US update DVD (Brown V1), load that and hope that will reset/ restart things to the OE settings and materials..

If this can also be the cause of him not beeing able getting into the OBD?? Unknown..

To be continued..
Any advice/ info very welcome!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts