Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

2014 MDX - "12 Volt Battery Charging System Problem"

9K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  rbaustin 
#1 ·
Hello guys,

Situation
I started getting this "12 Volt Battery Charging System Problem" on my MID. The car has been running fine for about 4-5 days and the battery seems to hold charge. So, I am guessing the alternator is fine. I found this service bulletin that says that the software needs to be updated 14-026 Acura Technical Service Bulletin
When I pointed out the TSB, the service manager (unfriendly) at dealership said that they would charge me labor for 2hrs ($165 per hour) to update the software. Alternatively he said he would charge me an hour for diagnostics to find out what is wrong and then charge me an hour labor for updating the software if that is indeed the issue.
My questions
1. Is the dealer trying to rip me off?
2. Should I take it to non-dealer repair shops for diagnostics?
3. Can non-dealer repair shops update software?

Please advise.

Thanks!

#4 ·
Hello guys,

Situation
I started getting this "12 Volt Battery Charging System Problem" on my MID. The car has been running fine for about 4-5 days and the battery seems to hold charge. So, I am guessing the alternator is fine. I found this service bulletin that says that the software needs to be updated 14-026 Acura Technical Service Bulletin
When I pointed out the TSB, the service manager (unfriendly) at dealership said that they would charge me labor for 2hrs ($165 per hour) to update the software. Alternatively he said he would charge me an hour for diagnostics to find out what is wrong and then charge me an hour labor for updating the software if that is indeed the issue.
My questions
1. Is the dealer trying to rip me off?
2. Should I take it to non-dealer repair shops for diagnostics?
3. Can non-dealer repair shops update software?

Please advise.

Thanks!
I had the same message 2014 Acura MDX "12 Volt Battery Charging System Problem", stop at National Tire Battery to check the battery and alternator, all check out ok, did some searches and found a YouTube video about replacing the 7.5 fuse which solve the problem.

#5 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. I searched on youtube and found a guy having a remotely similar issue with his honda odyssey. He replaced a fried 7.5amp fuse. I removed and checked my 7.5amp fuse and it looked OK. After putting it back in place, I don't see the warning message anymore. 😀. No idea why reinserting the same fuse got rid of the warning message.

#6 ·
Hello, do you have the link for the youtube video for this issue? Today I got that message and the MDX has been running perfectly all the time, it was completely random and then I turned it off and several minutes later turn it on again and the message was gone... weird.
Speedometer Odometer Trip computer Tachometer Vehicle

#7 ·
Hello, do you have the link for the youtube video for this issue? Today I got that message and the MDX has been running perfectly all the time, it was completely random and then I turned it off and several minutes later turn it on again and the message was gone... weird.
View attachment 122949
Here is the video that I followed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.