Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What information is needed to get a key/fob made for the 2014 MDX if you lost/don't have all of the keys? How much do dealers normally charge and can any locksmith do it? What's the least expensive route. I saw some fob for about $50 on ebay but wondered if just buying a remote start kit would be more worthwhile for 2 sets.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not to hijack the OPs thread, but I have a similar question.

I have two extra fobs without keys from my 2014 (auto-starter was an upgrade and I kept the fobs during trade-in). Can they be re-programmed for use on another MDX or my new 2017?

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
What information is needed to get a key/fob made for the 2014 MDX if you lost/don't have all of the keys? How much do dealers normally charge and can any locksmith do it? What's the least expensive route. I saw some fob for about $50 on ebay but wondered if just buying a remote start kit would be more worthwhile for 2 sets.
You need the dealer to do the reprogramming. No other way around it so far. It was around $200-250 each the last i saw for the fob, cutting key, and reprogramming. You can probably get away with just buying the fob and key assembly yourself off ebay or a parts site, a locksmith can laser cut the key usually but some won't do it.

Getting the remote start kit is not a bad option. Extra features to boot. Still need programming and cutting the key though.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Not to hijack the OPs thread, but I have a similar question.

I have two extra fobs without keys from my 2014 (auto-starter was an upgrade and I kept the fobs during trade-in). Can they be re-programmed for use on another MDX or my new 2017?
Yes but there is a newer part number from 2016 on. Not sure if they changed the fobs but the receiver definitely was changed. They're cross compatible but the pre 2016 version has less range.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need the dealer to do the reprogramming. No other way around it so far. It was around $200-250 each the last i saw for the fob, cutting key, and reprogramming. You can probably get away with just buying the fob and key assembly yourself off ebay or a parts site, a locksmith can laser cut the key usually but some won't do it.

Getting the remote start kit is not a bad option. Extra features to boot. Still need programming and cutting the key though.

Can you just go to the dealer with the title and your ID and they will program the key for that VIN? No keys so can't actually bring the car to the dealer without added expense.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Ouch. My understanding is the dealer has to do the fob programming. You can call the dealer to see if they willing to program a used fob purchased on Ebay. Some dealers will tell you reasons why they can't program used fob to make you to buy new fobs from them. If you have to buy new fobs, check online from one of discount stores to see if it's cheaper.

The blade (key) part of the fob can be cut buy a locksmith or a dealer. If you buy used fob from Ebay, most still have old already cut blade that was for the previous car, so you might still need to buy new uncut blades.

Also to consider is the fact that you don't have any working fob. Dealer has to do programming for both key all over again (more $). I am not sure if you even have to have your car towed to the dealer. If you just need to do one, the dealer can copy the programming from an existing fob over to the second fob.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Can you just go to the dealer with the title and your ID and they will program the key for that VIN? No keys so can't actually bring the car to the dealer without added expense.
I think they actually need the car to hook up the hds computer to the mdx to do the programming. They key cutting is doable via the key tag that you should have gotten. If not, vin lookup for the key is possible.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes but there is a newer part number from 2016 on. Not sure if they changed the fobs but the receiver definitely was changed. They're cross compatible but the pre 2016 version has less range.

I had my 2014 radio/antenna and key fobs replaced under warranty when I complained about the lack of range for the auto-starter. This was done in 2016.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had my 2014 radio/antenna and key fobs replaced under warranty when I complained about the lack of range for the auto-starter. This was done in 2016.
Sorry for resurrecting this thread but I just programmed someone keyblank with a used remote for a 2014 MDX, total procedure took about 25 mins in my driveway with Autel IM608.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts