Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I was at my dealer yesterday and they told me no new updates on the software is available as of now. I asked them if any future updates will fix text messages not working with my iPhone . It is greyed out since it was new .
They blamed apple for this issue. I am pretty sure Chrysler U Connect has updates on a continuos basis but we get none.
Voice control still terrible and it would be nice to get some future updates like other manufactures .
Any insider info would be great
Allan

·
Registered
29 Posts
My dealer told me if I wanted to update the GPS, it was $150. But since mine was a 2016, it was updated. Even though it had my company address from 10 years ago. As for the voice, which is terrible, it is what it is. The irony is its voice activated to keep your eyes on the road, but I find myself getting into close calls because it doesn't work. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Technically, the text message thing isn't supposed to work with Apple. It was never an advertised feature. That was an Androud only feature. Apple users got the Pandora connectivity exclusive to them.

That said, text message reading does have some limited functionality anyways. It will sometimes read/display text messages. But sometimes no. And you can't access the folders at all.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
You also have to delete text messages after you get too many (how many, we don't know) or it will stop reading the texts.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Hi I was at my dealer yesterday and they told me no new updates on the software is available as of now. I asked them if any future updates will fix text messages not working with my iPhone . It is greyed out since it was new .
They blamed apple for this issue. I am pretty sure Chrysler U Connect has updates on a continuos basis but we get none.
Voice control still terrible and it would be nice to get some future updates like other manufactures .
Allan
It would certainly be nice,but I think that ship has sailed. I will certainly remember the lack of updates when it is time to buy again. I am disappointed with Acura/Honda. Especially the voice commands issue that they fixed for the 15's and the door not lining up.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
As far as I can tell Acura has pretty much forgotten about 2014 owners as far as support of the infotainment goes. They came out with one update a year or so ago to fix the voice control seat heater command (and some other mostly non-noticeable things) and that was it. Even though they came out with another version update that fixed the major annoyances of the infotainment for the level of firmware it was running (after the seat heater fix), Acura chose to make it available to only 2015 vehicles even though the 2015 had the same firmware version as the 2014 and even if there may have been some slight internal hardware differences between the 2014 and 2015 (if any) I'm sure some of the updated code would have worked if Acura was so inclined as to offer it.

I agree that it's a let down in the way that Acura's treated owners in this regard. There s/b more updates - especially when the code was already written - i.e. the limit of the fix to the 2015 and ignoring 2014 owners.

I consider texts to be a distraction when driving so I don't reply to them until I'm stopped somewhere unless I have a passenger with me in which case they assume texting responsibilities. The system does read the texts to me though that I receive on my iPhone.

Fortunately for me, the infotainment features/issues aren't the end of the world for me and the other positive aspects of the vehicle trump the infotainment issues for me so I still give the overall vehicle a 2 thumbs up despite this lack of support by Acura for its product. They'd better get it together however, since some people 'will' use the infotainment system as a major factor in their buying decisions - some will place it above power, handling, styling, etc. when cross shopping vehicles.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Allan
Two weeks ago, I was in the phone with an Acura Client Relation person, who sent me to an engineer. He informed me that the 2014 software is done, unless some major safety issue came out. They are done with the 2014 infotainment system. I told them how disappointed I was in them and the system and I was done with them.
Sorry to bear the news, but at least I got an answer.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I wonder if that means everything up to 2016 is also "done" and they have essentially moved onto a new head unit like that in the new pilot.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Apple users got the Pandora connectivity exclusive to them.
Panodra works on my Android phone. Motorola Droid Maxx. As long as I'm connected via bluetooth, choosing Pandora as a source starts Pandora on my phone automatically.

I tend to listen to SiriusXM from the phone app through Bluetooth more than anything though.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I wonder if that means everything up to 2016 is also "done" and they have essentially moved onto a new head unit like that in the new pilot.
Based on Acura's behavior with the 2014, I'd say the answer to the first part of your question is 'Yes', i.e. they're 'done' with the model year, and that it has nothing to do with the latter part of your question.

It seems that Acura's viewing these as issues and functions in an entirely different context than most of the owners of these vehicles. Acura's looking at it as a 'model year feature/function set' that ends with the model year while many/most of us view this as a 'software based infotainment system' in much the manner as we view our PCs (which auto-update frequently), our smart phones (which auto-update frequently with bug fixes and even new features/functions), our apps, etc. so our level of expectations is different.

Unfortunately, Acura doesn't even seem inclined to fix known actual bugs in the system, such as the various hangs and dialing of the phone in response to a completely different command, etc.

Acura's shooting themselves in the foot by taking this approach - ditto other manufacturers who take the same approach. They're out of sync with the expectations of the marketplace and what was 'good enough' and the paradigm of some years ago doesn't apply in today's marketplace - especially as more younger people are buying these vehicles - people who grew up with the auto-updating PCs and smart phones.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Amen. They touted OTA updates with the Next-Gen system, but it turned out that you needed Acuralink app and subscription to receive updates anyway (not that they even deploy updates OTA either).

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Panodra works on my Android phone. Motorola Droid Maxx. As long as I'm connected via bluetooth, choosing Pandora as a source starts Pandora on my phone automatically.

I tend to listen to SiriusXM from the phone app through Bluetooth more than anything though.
Don't you have to have a subscription to siriusxm radio to do that? If that's the case,why not use the radio?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I agree on feeling abandoned. I might change my mind if they provided a reasonable explanation. For an otherwise terrific car this issue alone is sufficient to sour me on the Acura brand. I've owned plenty of brands since 1968 and this is the first experience that makes me write off a brand altogether. At my age, perhaps it does not matter.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for everyone's answers and opinions. I will make 100% sure my next vehicle's infotainment system works to my liking as I feel when you spend 50K on a vehicle you get one update only.
I buy a iPhone and get updates all the time on a 600.00 unit.
Automakers are just behind the curve on technology and everyone uses a different system.
Not sure if Apple Play will be great out of the gate but I hope so

·
Registered
353 Posts
Don't you have to have a subscription to siriusxm radio to do that? If that's the case,why not use the radio?

Because XM charges for each device, while a Pandora account can be used on many devices.

I agree with Allan, the infotainment experience has sourced me on the Acura brand forever. Although I have owned a few Hondas, this was my first Acura purchase and will be my last. As they stated, they value our feedback to improve future products, but will do NOTHING for current owners.

BTW: After seeing Android and Apple Play demoed, I am VERY disappointed. I thought it was going to act like screen mirroring, and you would be able to run any installed app on the phone through the infotainment system. No! It is limited to apps they deem worthy. And for the most part, the apps they deem worthy can already be controlled by the infotainment system. What I have seen so far is a big bust. :28:

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I think the big plus of Android Auto at least is that we don't have the craptastic navigation system to use anymore. We would get the full power of Google Maps, including continuous updates, real time traffic without subscription, reroutes without subscription, etc. Also the system reads our Hangouts, which encompasses data messaging and text messaging. Still hoping WAZE gets on there one day.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a subscription to SiriusXM radio in another vehicle; that subscription includes listening via the internet or mobile app. It would cost me to activate the SiriusXM radio in the Acura, and I've been choosing to not do that for now. My wife doesn't really listen much to SiriusXM, so until she does....I figure why pay extra? Of course, if I get bumped off my unlimited data plan with my carrier...that may influence the decision as well ;-) I listen to roughly 500 minutes a week during my work commute.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I have a subscription to SiriusXM radio in another vehicle; that subscription includes listening via the internet or mobile app. It would cost me to activate the SiriusXM radio in the Acura, and I've been choosing to not do that for now. My wife doesn't really listen much to SiriusXM, so until she does....I figure why pay extra? Of course, if I get bumped off my unlimited data plan with my carrier...that may influence the decision as well ;-) I listen to roughly 500 minutes a week during my work commute.
Makes sense. I don't have unlimited data. I only recently realized how much I'm paying for 2 cars. Because I have 2 different types of radios,I only get MLB in one car and NFL in the other one. I'm paying the extra to get MLB in the other one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Makes sense. I don't have unlimited data. I only recently realized how much I'm paying for 2 cars.
SirusXM app advantage -- doesn't cost as much as second radio, plus it gets *all* stations.. some are only available online. Like NFL game "away" broadcasts... I think.

SirusXM app disadvantage -- uses data plan, bluetooth music vs phone call can be an entertaining (not) battle... I've received phone calls and then halfway through, the app starts playing over my phone conversation... I have to remember to hit pause when I get a call.

Also a disadvantage is that I don't *think* the audio quality via the app is quite as good as direct satellite radio signal.

When I go to renew in a month or so, I may see about adding the Acura if it's not too outrageous.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
listening via the internet or mobile app. It would cost me to activate the SiriusXM radio in the Acura
I listened to the XM when it was free when I first got the MDX and this included on a coast to coast trip. It's nice to the decent reception almost everywhere but I found I got tired of listening to their limited selections.There really aren't many stations of a type I'd want to listen to and it got repetitive. I ended up letting the subscription lapse when the free period ended. Note - if you let it lapse, after a bit XM will send you 'special offers' in the mail where the rate is much reduced. Consider this if you want to have XM.

I have unlimited data on my cell and for the next coast to coast trip as well as around home I just listened to streaming stations - Pandora, Aha, Apple 'Music', Accuradio, etc. which provide a much larger selection than XM. I was surprised how good the reception was along the interstates and highways (AT&T).

Given how good the streaming is, I think it's a better choice than XM if one is choosing one or the other. Of course, one needs to be cognizant of the data used if they don't have an unlimited plan.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts