Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those who still own 2014 and those who switched to later model....

Can you tell me if you also think the brake pedal movement gets worse as the mdx aged? The reason I ask is my 2014 MDX(54K miles) brake pedal travels over 2-3 inches before brakes engage however my 2015 TLX (15K miles) barely moves an inch before brakes engage. MDX pads are down to 40-30% or less but I understand calipers should compensate for that.

Brake fluid was changed recently, no change in pedal movement. I am preparing for a full brake job but want to get some feedback from other 2014 owners. Also, those who switched to later models, how do you compare brake pedal feel?

·
Registered
713 Posts
even though discs are self adjusting, you will usually have a higher pedal with new rotors and pads. You'll notice it especially if you brake, lift and brake again quickly. It is not a safety hazard. The pads are retracting a little into the calipers which is normal. They retract less when they are new and thick. I wouldn't worry about it until the pads are near worn out. That is pretty much normal on most cars. If it wasn't, then the pads would wear out quicker and run hotter.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I have an early 2014 with 51K or so miles and haven't noticed anything in particular regarding braking. There's not any brake pedal travel I feel is excessive - it's just about right IMO. I'm still on the original pads/rotors.

The calipers compensate for the brake pad wear to the point where any difference between new and worn would be fairly unnoticeable. This minimal difference is easy to see when doing a brake job. One of the first things to do when doing a brake job is to to push the brake pistons bake into the caliper bores since they've moved out to compensate for the pad wear. The pads themselves are always sitting right about at the surface of the rotor.

I wonder if you're having a perception issue due to switching driving between your MDX and your TLX or other vehicles. It's normal for brake feel to be quite different between vehicles and it takes a bit of getting used to it when switching. If you really think there's an issue with your brakes then I suggest getting them fixed. I'll be changing my brakes mine soon most likely - I've already purchased replacement pads but will be checking them very soon when I do an oil change/tire rotation to see if it's time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts