Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Fully Loaded vs 2016 Acura Watch

2014 Fully Loaded AWD (Honda Dealership)
Advance & Entertainment
55,000 Miles
White
$33K

2016 Base AWD (Ford/Toyota Dealership)
AcuraWatch Plus
27,000 Miles
$36K

Which would you choose based on these specs. Do you have any other questions to consider that I didnt mention?

My budget is 30-35k for a 3rd Generation MDX with the safety features (ACC, CMBS, etc) Which can only be found on the 2014/15 Adv/Ent or the 2016 AWP packages.

I'm ok with cars with high mileage so long as they are highway (or was owned in places outside of dense cities like NYC)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Have you test drove both? How do you like the 6 speed versus the 9 speed. I have a 2015 advance and love it, but always wonder how the 9 speed would drive like. Maybe I'll go to dealer to test drive a 16/17 just to see, hopefully it doesn't make me want to upgrade.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haven't test drove these specifically, but I have test driven a 2014 Tech, and it was pretty nice and smooth. I'm coming from a 2001 MDX base so anything is a huge upgrade.

When I asked about the TSB's for a similar 2014 MDX I just found 2014 w 27kmiles, the sales guy said, "oh yea, we make sure everythings good to go, our mechanics make sure its all good, nah sayin?"

Not sure how much I trust that type of answer, it took me three tries to explain what a TSB was, I tried explaining, its the technical or software updates or fixes, to which he replied with, "oh yea the technology is great, dont worry about a thing, its all wiped out for you and u just plug in your phone and the bluetooth is good to go"

So yea...is there a way to get on paper what has been fixed/updated?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone else out there have opinions on a 2016 Tech & AcuraWatchPlus vs 2014 Fully Loaded Adv/Ent?

I was ready to rock n roll with the 2016, until I started reading a ton of reviews that the 9 speed shifting is a disaster and the push button shift as well.

Perhaps I can look for a 2015, but those seem to be harder to find. Most 2014's are early models (3Q13 models) So my worry is they will have the software glitches if the TSB's weren't all updated.

They are about $4k-5k price difference. Would anyone highly recommend one over the other?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Test drive them both back to back. I test drove a 2017 and the zf9 on that one is really smooth and willing to downshift quickly. There is also a TSB for the transmission of the 2016. And some say it fixes the problem.

There will always be software glitches on any year model. There are quite a few TSBs that address that issue. I don't see much difference between the 2014 and 2016 interface. I would buy the 2014 adv because it has all niceties and features that the 2016 base or tech don't have. And I also don't see any benefits of the 9 speed vs the 6 speed.

You can always tell them to apply the TSBs as part of the deal for you to pull the trigger. They are required to document everything they have applied to the car, if they are a reputable dealer.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey - Would there be any cause for concern for buying a VERY early model 2014 (June 2013) if all the TSB's have been updated?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Mine was an early build too. A lot of minor issues (all fixed by TSBs) but nothing major like transmission or engine. Inspect the 2014 you're going to buy carefully, test drive it for an extended period of time. Some dealers let the buyers take the car home overnight.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 2014 fully loaded. Be sure to have all the TSBs applied first before taking the car.

Jimihaha, do they apply ALL tsb's even if the car isnt impacted by the issue?

Also, Im reading the forums a lot and seems like some dealers are REALLY stubborn about performing the fix, like really twisting arms, threatening to call corporate, and then they eventually cave and make u feel like they are doing u favor out of 'good will'.

Is there a record or a way to prove that a tsb has been updated?

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
2014 Fully Loaded vs 2016 Acura Watch

2014 Fully Loaded AWD (Honda Dealership)
Advance & Entertainment
55,000 Miles
White
$33K

2016 Base AWD (Ford/Toyota Dealership)
AcuraWatch Plus
27,000 Miles
$36K

Which would you choose based on these specs. Do you have any other questions to consider that I didnt mention?

My budget is 30-35k for a 3rd Generation MDX with the safety features (ACC, CMBS, etc) Which can only be found on the 2014/15 Adv/Ent or the 2016 AWP packages.

I'm ok with cars with high mileage so long as they are highway (or was owned in places outside of dense cities like NYC)
This would be a no brainer for me. Unless you really want the cooled seats or the rear entertainment,I'd go with the 16. It has the safety features you want. It's still under warranty. The tech stuff is newer. The nav system is better. Since this a non cpo,I'd go for the warranty. Evaluate what the base is missing. Decide if you can live without out. Remember that dealers have much more negotiating room on used cars. Especially when it's not their brand.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Haven't test drove these specifically, but I have test driven a 2014 Tech, and it was pretty nice and smooth. I'm coming from a 2001 MDX base so anything is a huge upgrade.

When I asked about the TSB's for a similar 2014 MDX I just found 2014 w 27kmiles, the sales guy said, "oh yea, we make sure everythings good to go, our mechanics make sure its all good, nah sayin?"

Not sure how much I trust that type of answer, it took me three tries to explain what a TSB was, I tried explaining, its the technical or software updates or fixes, to which he replied with, "oh yea the technology is great, dont worry about a thing, its all wiped out for you and u just plug in your phone and the bluetooth is good to go"

So yea...is there a way to get on paper what has been fixed/updated?
Every brand has TSBs. If the salesman doesn't know what a TSB is. I wouldn't believe him. I wouldn't believe him anyway. I wouldn't expect a dealer from a different brand to do the TSB.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts