Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have recently bought a used 2014 Acura MDX - Navi Package. It has lane departure warning and break warning features.

I want to upgrade the Car to have Lane Keep Assistance feature. I believe the software/hardware is already there to detect the situation, The computer just need to execute the "break" and move the wheel automatically.

Do you guys know, if this is possible to achieve by just upgrading the steering wheel? Does Acura entertain such requests?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
For 2014, the Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS) was part of the Advance package.

I doubt that changing the steering wheel is all that is required... But I don't know for sure.

I would not be surprised if an Acura dealer refuses to have anything to do with this request. This is a safety-related system, and they won't want the liability.

·
Registered
870 Posts
The key words here are warning, which Is what your 2014 MDX Tech trim came equipped with, and assist, which is what the Advance trim is equipped with for that model year. It is not just a matter of changing the steering wheel buttons, it is not offered as an accessory package, and I am quite certain no dealer will touch it. Buy a 2014 MDX Advance or a more recent model that comes equipped with those features if they are important to you.

We specifically bought a 2014 Tech in 2013 because we did not want the assist features and we do not regret that decision. The technology is immature, in my opinion, and it is highly dependent on the condition of lane markings. We have more recent vehicles with those features and they are usually turned off.

I suggest you enjoy the vehicle and try not to stress about missing features. It is a nice vehicle and it is a pleasure to drive.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have recently bought a used 2014 Acura MDX - Navi Package. It has lane departure warning and break warning features.

I want to upgrade the Car to have Lane Keep Assistance feature. I believe the software/hardware is already there to detect the situation, The computer just need to execute the "break" and move the wheel automatically.

Do you guys know, if this is possible to achieve by just upgrading the steering wheel? Does Acura entertain such requests?

Thanks
I don’t know why you would think the software or hardware is there. I would venture that this is a no. By the way,you spelled brake wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The key words here are warning, which Is what your 2014 MDX Tech trim came equipped with, and assist, which is what the Advance trim is equipped with for that model year. It is not just a matter of changing the steering wheel buttons, it is not offered as an accessory package, and I am quite certain no dealer will touch it. Buy a 2014 MDX Advance or a more recent model that comes equipped with those features if they are important to you.

We specifically bought a 2014 Tech in 2013 because we did not want the assist features and we do not regret that decision. The technology is immature, in my opinion, and it is highly dependent on the condition of lane markings. We have more recent vehicles with those features and they are usually turned off.

I suggest you enjoy the vehicle and try not to stress about missing features. It is a nice vehicle and it is a pleasure to drive.
Thanks for the guidance. Being a tech guy, I was just wondering about the possible hack. And you are right, I took a test drive of a 2016 Acura MDX with all these features, but those features are annoying.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Both my 2014 and 2015 tech see things like different colored pavement sometimes as a lane departure. It sees fences by the side of the road that angle in as me wandering. I keep it off most of the time. A recent interview with the head professor of autonomous driving classes at colleges in the US recently said we are at least 100 years from AI being able to drive a car without faults. example

https://youtu.be/mRAXZdJC2fQ

·
Registered
66 Posts

My 15 Adv/Ent has all the features. I find the tech useful on long drives across country and helps with arm fatigue. But around town, we just leave it off as it is more off an annoyance than a help.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
My 15 Adv/Ent has all the features. I find the tech useful on long drives across country and helps with arm fatigue. But around town, we just leave it off as it is more off an annoyance than a help.
The 3 most useful features are adaptive cruise control,blind spot and the 360 camera. However,the lane assist is nice.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The 3 most useful features are adaptive cruise control,blind spot and the 360 camera. However,the lane assist is nice.

My 15 doesn't have the 360 camera. They talk about it in the manual but it's not enabled at least that I can see. I do love the ACC and blind spot though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.