Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Acura MDX Test drives and reviews by people.

Wanted to make a specific thread for this. also what state/city would be helpful so people know when its available in there area

·
Registered
40 Posts
I drove a 2014 SH-AWD Tech model yesterday. Ride was very impressive. Smooth and less jiggly over the previous model. Throttle response was great. Very quiet but still has that nice growl when you floor it. It feels light on its feet and feels a little quicker, but not by much. Steering feel is a little disconnected, road feel is gone.

In person, the exterior is blah. The headlights only look good on the RLX. They dont look good on the MDX. Its lower to the ground and doesnt have that SUV look anymore. Looks like big crossover now. Actually it looks like the RDX, but for some reason the RDX looks better. Did not like the Tech wheels at all. Dark grey inserts that look dirty all the time. Perhaps the Advance models wheels or even the Accessory Chrome wheels would dress it up a bit. It needs a little 'bling'.

Theres not a single carry over part for the interior. Found the touch screen very frustrating, but maybe with more time with the vehicle I would get used to it. Prefer buttons. The rear seat slides back and forth like the Honda Pilot, liked that feature. I have no use for a third row anymore so me personally I could care less about it. To me its for emergency use only. If your going to use it on a regular basis get a minivan.

I dont like the fact its longer. But I would like the fact it gets better gas mileage.

Overall it is impressive, but I think the 2012 I have is much sportier than the 2014.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I had this in a different thread, but I will post again here based on this thread's purpose:

My wife just took the '14 Advanced for a test drive after having test driven the Q7 a few weeks ago. Going in she expected to love the new MDX, but came away feeling just okay. She felt the exterior styling was substantially better and in fact there was one sitting right next to a 2013 so it was an easy compare. She felt the seats were great and preferred the bolstering to what she had in the Q7. However, she felt it was a bit too "plasticy" overall. She was also was not really pleased with the engine which she felt lacked against the Q7 (TDI and S-Line). I am not sure the numbers totally support that, but that was her sense. She also felt the Q7 was more engaging to drive. She did love though all of the storage options.

I am planning to drive all 3 Q7 engine choices this weekend followed by the MDX, so we'll see....

·
Registered
695 Posts
It is a big 4 door van. Sigh, i guess that is what folks want.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tested a black/black awd tech this morning. Drive was nice, and front and second row are quite spacious (I’m 6’2). Third row is better than 13’MDX, but still underwhelming.

Came back later in the afternoon with my wife to test out a white/parchment awd advance. To me there didn’t seem to be a huge difference in sound compared to the tech version but the seats did feel better (lumbar support helps!). Unfortunately the seats didn’t seem to cool down all that much (it was 85 degrees outside) and we couldn’t get the LKAS and ACC to work like I’ve read in many reviews. The sales guy couldn’t explain why but the manager said it was because it hadn’t been PDI’d.

All in all I like the car and think it is a serious contender (we’re still waiting to test 14’ Durango and 14’ X5). My wife thought it was a bit underpowered compared to the X3 (300hp) she tested a couple of months back but was impressed with how well it handled curves.

To us, the main impediment is the third row space and cargo space as we often travel with two kids in car seats and our nanny. It’s a tough choice we have to make!

·
Registered
606 Posts
I got to test drive a 2014 MDX SH-AWD Tech tonight. My impression is pretty much 'blah'. I am coming from a 2005 MDX so that is my basis of comparison, plus I have had the 2007-2013 MDX's as loaners several times over the last 8 years so I am quite familiar with the 2nd gen as well.

My comments on the 2014:
- up close it reminds me of a station wagon - shorter in height and longer than the 2nd gen. I kept thinking a cross between a Venza and big station wagon in stature
- visibility is horrible compared to my '05, I really noticed not being able to see due to the blind spot areas for passing, so the blind spot monitors are a necessity
- not nearly as sporty to drive as a 2nd gen, but not bad either
- it is quiet, but not as much as I was expecting, really not much different than a 2nd gen (the Advance is supposed to be more quiet)
- I don't like the shortened height of the cargo area, it really feels small compared to my '05, probably a bit of an optical illusion but it just seems more cramped to me in back
- the steering wheel and controls are very nice, that is a positive
- I liked the push button start, key fob, and the buttons on the side doors to lock/unlock
- the Nav map seemed fuzzy to me, the sales guy kept trying to tweak the settings to adjust it, but it seemed washed out and not very sharp no matter what setting he tried. Also the location is such that it could glare depending on the sun angle.
- the leather is real nice
- the 2nd row push button to access the 2rd row is pretty trick, even a kid can do it. But the seats really spring so you have to watch it a little bit
- 3rd row has more room for sure than my '05
- the 2nd row sliding fore and aft is a nice feature, you can dial in the amount of leg room for everyone.
- plastic.....everywhere, I can see cost cutting, but get used to it - that is the new reality for autos going forward
- the headlights look sharp, and work well (I was driving from twilight to night tonight)

I will wait on the X5/Durango/Highlander, and also a part of me still is considering the MB GL, and I may even check out a Pilot. The '14 MDX just didn't do it for me. YMMV

·
Registered
224 Posts
Just wondering... X5/GL and Durango/Highlander are in totally different budge ranges. I'm curious that you really seriously consider these two groups at the same time. X5/GL easily reach 80K with some packages/options, while fully loaded Highlander/Durago are 50K. I don't think you would satisfy a base German car :)

·
Registered
606 Posts
Just wondering... X5/GL and Durango/Highlander are in totally different budge ranges. I'm curious that you really seriously consider these two groups at the same time. X5/GL easily reach 80K with some packages/options, while fully loaded Highlander/Durago are 50K. I don't think you would satisfy a base German car :)
I absolutely do not care what other people think about the car I drive. I buy whatever I like the best, period. If I find something that satisfies me for less money, all the better. But I would also pay more for something that satisfies me too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I tend to agree with carguy, although I understand that barcarole was talking about price and not perception. Some, perhaps most, may be buying a car with a very specific budget in mind, and I can understand that a $40k swing might seem a bit crazy.

But even then, if you go test drive a $60k car on a $60k budget, and then find out that you prefer a $40k car, why not go for it?

For my particular needs, the Durango is in the running because of the bigger third row and cargo space. Again for me, the concessions you might have to make on things like handling and some luxury items are acceptable because of the utility.

The 13' X5 was actually the first car I had considered (so MDX would be a case of saving money...). But I was disappointed with 3rd row and also to me the 300hp version seemed a little underpowered; 300+lbs heavier than 13' MDX and a whopping 500+ more than 14'. I do intend to test drive the 2014 model when it comes out.

I'm also curious about the new highlander but that won't be available until next year. GL, I did try and although it is obviously a great car, I just didn't feel good in it, eye of the beholder kind of thing. Same goes for the enclave, utility wise it was nearly as good as the Durango with more luxury features but I just didn't like it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I absolutely do not care what other people think about the car I drive. I buy whatever I like the best, period. If I find something that satisfies me for less money, all the better. But I would also pay more for something that satisfies me too.
I'm in the exact same spot. I'm basically cross-shopping all mid-size 3-row SUVs/CUVs out there. My goal is to keep whatever car I buy for a very long time (my current car i've had 13 years), so I want something that won't give me a lot of problems. Finding that right car is hard. :\

·
Registered
89 Posts
Same goal for me however my maximum budget is within the range of the Advance Acura. Intention is to keep my car for a long time. More modern tech means a lot as I want my car to be still relevant technology wise 5 years from now. Have never owned an Acura but text drove both RLX and 14 MDX recently. I loved both cars. I did check out all the features including the 3rd row in the MDX and it will fit my purposes.Still love nissan. My 09 murano is still a blast for me however need 3 rows os seat. I will probably be making a pre-order on the mdx next week.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm in the same boat, deciding between a Buick enclave or the 2014 mdx.

enclave doesn't have all the bells and whistles, push start, keyless entry, rain sense wipers adaptive cruise control, bad gas mileage. exc. exc. but it has more cargo room, and you can fit 3 people in the 3rd, I'm 6'3 and fit in the enclave 3rd row.

Also like the Durango, but I Like to travel and the gas mileage isn't so great, Durango you can only fit 2 in the 3rd row.

So choosing between Enclave or the MDX.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I just took a Tech model for a test drive, highway and local roads. The vehicle is pretty nice from an interior and exterior quality perspective, but I had relatively high expectations for the driving experience. This is one of the more performance oriented CUVs in terms of quickness and handling. However, I was a little let down though. It wasn't THAT exciting. It's probably due to the fact that my current car is a 2002 Subaru WRX 5MT, which feels quite a bit quicker and has much better handling. I just didn't expect for there to be that big of a difference.

It's to the point that I'm considering test driving an Odyssey now (had previously decided against a minivan), since I think the MDX and Odyssey are probably closer to each other in driving experience than my WRX is to either of them. Perhaps an Odyssey test drive will show me what the MDX really has, since I really want to like the MDX.

What to do!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I don't think the Odyssey's driving experience is closer to SH-AWD MDX... No way... Don't worry about that :)

And, Subaru WRX is a way smaller car than SUV (4300lb vs. 2700lb). It's not a fair comparison. Apples to oranges. Just my thoughts...

·
Registered
443 Posts
Test drove an Odyssey Touring Elite today. The steering felt like the MDX on permanent comfort mode, which is not so good. Felt down on power, but overall, it was pretty easy to drive. I couldn't really test the handling limits, so it's hard to detect much of a difference there, FWD or SH-AWD. It's a huge vehicle on the inside though, and that's kind of what I miss out on with the MDX. Overall quality feel is a bit lower on the Odyssey, but still pretty good. What did bother me about this minivan is that the glare from the dash on the windshield was pretty bad. Felt like the windshield was a bit foggy. Maybe it's a bad rake on the windshield. The dealer was willing to sell it to me for $38K including destination, which was a pretty darn good deal at $3k below invoice.

Test drove an MDX base right afterwards, but also placed two kid car seats in the second row to see how it would fit. There's barely room to fit them on the drivers side and middle seat, but it seemed to work, and that's a critical test for whether the MDX will work for me, utility wise. Following the Odyssey, the MDX does feel a bit more like a driver's car, and there's definitely more power. Again, this test drive had a salesman onboard, so I only only pushed hard on the acceleration briefly.

Only trouble is that no one has an Advance/Ent model in Dark Cherry Pearl. I ended up putting a deposit and ordering one at $500 below MSRP. I could get it as late as September or so depending on whether the dealer can find another one to do a port swap. Ugh.

My wife thinks I'm nuts for paying such a huge premium for the MDX over the Odyssey though! Maybe I am!

·
Registered
326 Posts
The reason I had Chosen MDX back then gas was about $1.50/gal and its acceleration is much better than Lexus's counterpart, namely LX450 or RX350. I will be passing this 03 MDX to the son when he finishes high school and my next SUV will definitely be a hybrid similar to RX450h unless by that time MDX comes up with hybrid for comparison. We hardly use the 3rd row seats now that the kids are grown up.

Acura, to me is simply a slightly up-scaled Honda, which is never up to the classes of Mercedes, BMW or Lexus. Acura's interiors are so cheap that even the cheapest Lexus (CT200h) can easily beat it.

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts
Unfortunately for me, I'd never choose BMW or MB due to reliability, and I won't choose Lexus due to a nonexistent driving experience. That leaves few manufacturers to choose from. The JX might have been a possibility if its character was FX and not Murano.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Unfortunately for me, I'd never choose BMW or MB due to reliability, and I won't choose Lexis due to a nonexistent driving experience. That leaves few manufacturers to choose from. The JX might have been a possibility if its character was FX and not Murano.
You are spot in with my feelings as well. I also feel the JX is a disgrace from infiniti. Why infiniti why!?!? It's exactly the same as the pathfinder which is also not cool. Why couldn't the produce a three row crossover that was exciting? After all, I thought that's what infiniti was about. Exciting.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts