Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Acura MDX Advanced with 45,000 miles. I just replaced my original Michelin tires with new Michelin Premier LTX tires. Not only were the tires close to bald, I had terrible noise in the front end when driving fast and turning. When I got in the car with the new tires, I was shocked to find out that the noise was exactly the same. The new tires are supposed to be more quiet than the original Michelin's. This leads me to believe there must be something else wrong. Anyone have this issue or know what it could be? I initially thought it was tires but cant imagine it is. The noise gets louder, the faster I get. When I turn or change lanes, you can hear a louder noise.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts on this.

Jim

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
It's impossible to know what you're referring to without a better description of the 'noise'. For example, is it a metal on metal noise, a metallic screeching noise, a thumping noise, a tire screeching/slipping noise, or what? Does it come from just one side or both sides? Is it coming from the front, back, or center of the vehicle?

Even a completely bald tire shouldn't cause any noticeable noise when driving so I wouldn't have expected your old tires to be the fault and of course, now you've confirmed they're not the culprit.

The problem could be due to a wheel bearing issue. That could cause a 'terrible noise', especially when turning, which puts more stress on the bearing. You should get a bad wheel bearing fixed right away because a lot of other damage could result including a wheel separating from the vehicle - which is dangerous.

The problem could be something else depending on what the exact noise is.

You should take it into Acura service to take a look at it. It's likely a warranty issue so do it before the warranty expires. I place my bets on a wheel bearing issue.

·
Registered
391 Posts
If it's audible humming noise that you'd notice driving on a smooth surface with no potholes like on the highway. Then there's a strong chance it's a wheel bearing issue.

I am familiar of the noise because it happened on my '96 Accord and it's noticeable on my '03 Accord. Especially on the highway; turn your radio off and you'll most likely hear the humming noise volume increase as you gradually accelerate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
2014 bearing issue

Not sure if you took it to dealer and got it resolved. I had same issue on 2014 MDX and after mentioning to SA couple of times, they said it must be tires(which were purchased from them). Third time I forced the dealer to have Tech drive the car on the road with me in it and right away he turned back and said bearing is shot. It always pays to get tech involved and talk to them about your concerns. We drove the car with damn bad bearing over 8000 miles. Thank God it didn't completely break on us.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2014 Acura MDX Wheel Noise

2014 Acura MDX front wheel noise, with about 55k miles notice a buzzing noise at about 45 mph, had the tires rotated and alignment noise still noticeable, dealership and tire place say it was the tires, somewhat worn but plenty of good thread.....keep driving and the noise continues to get louder, it's not the engine, placed the car in neutral at 45 mph, still have a noise...the sound is not noticeable at high speeds, after 2 months of the annoying noise thought about buying new tires, then more googling research, determine it was the right wheel bearing, confirmed at the tire place

1 - 7 of 7 Posts