Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
What additional details were you interested in?
Mostly, the actual correspondence from Acura corporate and the dealership. When you upload copies just redact your personal info/address/etc. By now you should have hired an attorney, even if nobody (thankfully!) was hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Man up and do your jobs. My son and my lives were at stake. Not to mention my car was parked outside my son's school when it caught fire. Other kids were walking to school and getting dropped off
Glad to hear your family was not hurt.

Keep in mind that right now, a lot of industries are still digging out per se. And you can’t necessarily blame the individual inspectors since govt has added a lot of red tape to the normal processes. Ugh.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I had the
Man up and do your jobs. My son and my lives were at stake. Not to mention my car was parked outside my son's school when it caught fire. Other kids were walking to school and getting dropped off
I had the same experience with them, the whole thing was so upsetting. Especially with children in the car, it could have been deadly. I spoke to a few lawyers and they said this type of case is expensive and difficult to prove fault. There’s really no justice for what happens unless some kind of class action can be brought against them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I’m assuming you have been talking to corporate? I find it hard to believe they won’t do anything (not saying that isn’t what’s happening, just hard to believe). I had a 2019 that was making a noise in the steering that they couldn’t figure out, and granted it took a bit of time and patience, but I now have a 2020 without issues and didn’t need a lawyer. Acura bought back the 2019 in full for what I paid. It’s the reason I went with them again, they took care of me.

I’m assuming you opened a case though right?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had the

I had the same experience with them, the whole thing was so upsetting. Especially with children in the car, it could have been deadly. I spoke to a few lawyers and they said this type of case is expensive and difficult to prove fault. There’s really no justice for what happens unless some kind of class action can be brought against them.
The vast majority of class action lawsuits do not benefit the consumer. Keep that in mind.

Yes, some cases can be expensive but if it (for example) costs 50k to get back 100k, it may be worth pursuing.

I would still be curious to what written responses you have received from Acura (not just phone conversations) if you would not mind scanning and posting here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I’m assuming you have been talking to corporate? I find it hard to believe they won’t do anything (not saying that isn’t what’s happening, just hard to believe). I had a 2019 that was making a noise in the steering that they couldn’t figure out, and granted it took a bit of time and patience, but I now have a 2020 without issues and didn’t need a lawyer. Acura bought back the 2019 in full for what I paid. It’s the reason I went with them again, they took care of me.

I’m assuming you opened a case though right?
My fire happened a year ago and was picked up by our local news. Acura saw the story and contacted us (corporate) and I spoke to them over the phone multiple times. I was glad that they had contacted us, but they had no interest in inspecting the vehicle or even replacing it. We really loved the MDX and would have bought another one in the future had this not happened. After something like this, I just don’t feel safe putting my family in it. I’m glad you received better service, but it sounds like maybe you were still under warranty as you had a newer MDX.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Mostly, the actual correspondence from Acura corporate and the dealership. When you upload copies just redact your personal info/address/etc. By now you should have hired an attorney, even if nobody (thankfully!) was hurt.

I did try to get an attorney and spoke to 4 or 5 but said they couldn’t make a case because of the cost vs. what we loss. Thankfully no one was hurt, and that is the most important thing. I’ll look for a copy of the letter they sent (as this was about a year ago). Most of my interaction with corporate was over the phone.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My fire happened a year ago and was picked up by our local news. Acura saw the story and contacted us (corporate) and I spoke to them over the phone multiple times. I was glad that they had contacted us, but they had no interest in inspecting the vehicle or even replacing it. We really loved the MDX and would have bought another one in the future had this not happened. After something like this, I just don’t feel safe putting my family in it. I’m glad you received better service, but it sounds like maybe you were still under warranty as you had a newer MDX.
Wow that really does suck. I’m actually kinda shocked, but completely understand with being done with the brand.

If that were me, I’d even be selling my wife’s accord outta spite towards the company.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Having been involved in a closely related industry with occasional "thermal events" I will second the idea that getting to the root cause is pretty difficult. There are a few examples out there of cars with fuel system issues, but the vast majority of auto fires are caused by electrical issues, and when I say electrical most of those trace back to wires chewed by rodents. Shops see damage by rodents all the time and usually the problem presents itself without a fire, gets repaired, and the customer goes on their way. This is the reason most car fires are not pursued back to the manufacturer. They didn't do anything wrong and could not have prevented the issue short of developing a wire insulation that deters rodents. In reality you have to control the environment that you park in to prevent the issue, so switching to a different make or model might make you feel better, but that is a psychological solution to a physical world problem, so you really are just making yourself feel better.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts