Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago, while driving my kids around, our MDX caught on fire. I barely had been driving 5 minutes when a dark mist had started coming out of the vents, which turned into black smoke. On the front passenger side, behind the glove compartment, whatever was on fire dropped onto the floor and quickly spread inside. I was able to get myself and my son out safely, but the entire car was burned to nothing. I'm still waiting to hear if Acura will look at the car to investigate, but was curious to see if others have had a similar experience and if Acura did anything. We purchased the car brand new from an Acura dealer and only had the car serviced at the dealership. I've seen other stories online from people with 2017 models that burst into flames, so this doesn't seem like a random occurrence.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Glad you are ok!
Since the 3rd gen there has been more than a couple of burned down MDXs this is not a widespread problem thought, Counting yours IIRC this is the 5th MDX I know that burned down.. Acura did replace a vehicle in one of those incidents, we know this because the owner opened a thread about it in the forums.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Hmm that area inside the cabin is the ac fan motor i think? Interesting...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I'm glad you're okay.

I don't know that there's a widespread issue with MDXs catching fire but if you were to google pretty much any vehicle and 'fire' you'll see incidences of them catching fire.

Hopefully you have good insurance and can move on with another vehicle. I wouldn't expect Acura to replace the vehicle or to really do anything with it but it's worth a check with Acura client relations to see what they have to say about it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a 2014 mdx. Was driving my son to school. Same thing happened. Smoke came out by the dashboard and then flames came out by the glove compartment

·
Registered
1 Posts
About a month ago, while driving my kids around, our MDX caught on fire. I barely had been driving 5 minutes when a dark mist had started coming out of the vents, which turned into black smoke. On the front passenger side, behind the glove compartment, whatever was on fire dropped onto the floor and quickly spread inside. I was able to get myself and my son out safely, but the entire car was burned to nothing. I'm still waiting to hear if Acura will look at the car to investigate, but was curious to see if others have had a similar experience and if Acura did anything. We purchased the car brand new from an Acura dealer and only had the car serviced at the dealership. I've seen other stories online from people with 2017 models that burst into flames, so this doesn't seem like a random occurrence.

Did Acura get back to you and did they find the cause of the fire?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did Acura get back to you and did they find the cause of the fire?
I spoke to Acura a few times but they refused to take a look at the car. They pretty much told me too bad, cars catching on fire is a normal thing and there’s nothing they can do. I would have thought they would at least want to look at the car to see if there is a defect they don’t know about.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a 2014 mdx. Was driving my son to school. Same thing happened. Smoke came out by the dashboard and then flames came out by the glove compartment
I’m sorry to hear that Mike, I hope you and your son are ok. Did you have any luck with Acura?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I spoke to Acura a few times but they refused to take a look at the car. They pretty much told me too bad, cars catching on fire is a normal thing and there’s nothing they can do. I would have thought they would at least want to look at the car to see if there is a defect they don’t know about.
This is not the whole story. Please elaborate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Man up and do your jobs. My son and my lives were at stake. Not to mention my car was parked outside my son's school when it caught fire. Other kids were walking to school and getting dropped off

1 - 20 of 30 Posts