Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All: I am a new MDX owner, a 2013 with Technology Package only 45,000 miles now. In Excellent Condition. When I bought her the previous owner had a letter informing them that there is an 2019 Navigation system update. My question is should I do this now or wait for a 2020 update since 2019 is 3/4 gone. Does anyone know how often Honda/Acura will make updates Available? I have heard every 5 years but that seems like a long time to me. I have a portable Garmin unit that will get a map update a few time a year.
Thank you in advance

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Acura only updates its maps once a year in the fall. The letter from the previous owner was Acura trying get rid of the Fall of 2018 stock. The new(ish) Acura update will be available around Oct/Nov of this year for $199, drop down to $149 by late winter/early spring, and down to $99 by the start of summer. No mid-year updates, the same data with zero changes sold for a year.

Even if you purchase the update now, chances are the data will still be 1-3 years out of date. If you are going to spend that kind of money, it might be worth upgrading to Navtool for Apple/Android Carplay for around $500+labor. Carplay makes Acura Navi look like paper Mapquest print outs from the good old days.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Like Mrgold said the update would be available every year and those are often not latest. I recently installed Navtool on my 2011 MDX and really happy with it. You can check my thread for details on same

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have seen the NAVTOOL stuff but it gets mixed reviews, more than a few negative ones, Are they getting better?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't owned the MDX long but I have noticed that if I have my phone connected via Bluetooth and I have the audio system on the HDD or FM or CD then any audio output from the phone ends up not being played through the speakers and just gets "lost" I don't hear anything because the audio system is not on bluetooth. So If the phone is connected via bluethooth and I were to use google maps or waze on my phone for Navigation I would have to keep the audio system on bluetooth so I can hear the audio cues and I could not switch to the FM or CD. Is this correct? Am I doing something wrong? Is there a hack for this?
Thank you

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you are right, you will only hear navigation prompts from phone when you are in Bluetooth audio mode. This is pretty standard across all cars.
Thank you for the confirmation. I would like to point out that is using the Acura Navigation you can "Multitask" the Infotainment system. I can listed to a CD or the HDD and I will still get the navigation cues from the Navigation system. I think that is a Point to Acura.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
tecknocrat
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing