Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

2013 MDX - very poor MPG

37K views 39 replies 32 participants last post by  p07r0457 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I purchased a new 2013 MDX (Technology) 2 weeks ago, and noticed very poor MPG driving in the city (didn't have a chance to do much highway driving yet). I'm getting 11-12 MPG, according to the trip computer. Very disappointing. I had 2006 MDX before, I was getting around 17 MPG on that one, having a similar usage patterns. Is there any kind of tune up that can be done to fix this? Filling up with premium gas (93)

thanks!

#32 ·
That is absurdly low.. For me to get that mileage on my 2007 (5 speed vs your 6th speedo) I would need to be in grid lock traffic averaging 15-20mph.

#35 ·
Your car needs a tuneup and to be examined by a professional mechanic. Do you have any warning lights visible in the dash? Do they all come on when switch the car on but before you start the engine?

You COULD have a warning from the car about a problem but if the CEl light doesn't come on b/c the bulb is burned out or disconnected, you'd never know.

On my "other" car i turn the key to "on" but don't turn the key to start. Check the owner's manual to see what lights should be on.

On my MDX with push button start, I press the big red button on the dash while I don't have my foot on the brake. The car will turn on but the engine will not try to start.

A professional mechanic can do tests like compression, leak down tests, and get their computer to chat with your car and look for errors.

My '14 gets 20+ mpg city and 27.5 mpg on the highway.

We have a delivery truck at work that weighs 10,000 lbs and gets better than 10 mpg.

If your dealer thinks this is normal then maybe you need to visit a different Acura dealer. Maybe you are talking to a low person in the organization that doesn't know what they are talking about or doesn't care. You need to find someone who cares and knows something.

Alternatively go find an independent mechanic that knows something about Hondas. I'd start with the dealer so you can document this car as a lemon if they won't help you.

#36 ·
Out of curiosity, for those of you that have over 100k miles on your MDX, have you noticed a marked drop off in MPG? My driving habits have not changed at all, yet I've lost about 3-4 MPG for city driving and similar for highway since hitting around the 80-90k mark. I have a 2011 MDX. I've had all the scheduled maintenance done on time and keep up with my oil changes and stuff. Tires are kept at 35 PSI year round. Is this just something that happens with a Honda/Acura with lots of miles on it? I've never kept a car past 70k prior to this, and I hope to drive this one into the ground... although I'd prefer to get better MPG than driving a tractor trailer. :)

Thanks,
Jeff in Houston

#37 ·
I have 108K on my 11 MDX and I'm scheduled for my 105K service pretty soon. I've noticed an improvement to normal mpgs, acceleration, and faster start ups when I did my 105K service on my TSX and RDX a few years ago. I decided to change out my spark plugs on my MDX at 75K since that seems to help keep my mpgs consistent compared to slowly dropping off when I waited with my TSX and RDX.

I also:
- change my 6AT fluid every 30K (dealership just does a 1X drain/refill for about $100)
- use a K/N drop in filter,
- use Mobil 1 syn oil,
- always gas up at Sam's or Costco in/out of town,
- balance/rotate or cross rotate every oil change,
- alignment 2X a year (lifetime with firestone)
- use Conti DWS 06 ultra high performance tires set around 35-37 psi,
- do about 50%-70% hwy driving mostly.

I've tried BG 44K fuel system Cleaners and Cleanboost Maxx just to see if that made a difference. Didn't see any before/after improvement in my TSX, RDX or MDX with almost 400,000 miles between them. I think sticking to good gas and routine maint seems to work just as good.

My MDX mpgs can still get as low as 13-15 mpgs in 100% city driving; but, I can make up for it and get between 20-23 mph on the hwy at 75-85 mph (depending on hills and winds).

#39 ·
Have had a 2001 mdx, a 2009 mdx and a 2010 mdx advance.. Seems to be a common problem with 2010 Mdx and later - they may have used a different injector design and mapping to improve power and unfortunate side effect is they seem to make things worse.. I've noticed that a can of Techron seems to help, recently tried a product called liqui moly from Germany - available at Autozone - seems to work great and I've noticed a 6-7 mpg jump!

It's the fuel system cleaner product

Used on a full tank of gas

Drive hard once in a while to clear out the injectors - good luck, let others know if it helps!

https://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-2030-Pro-Line-Cleaner/dp/B01BIQWYYY

#40 ·
An “Italian Tuneup” is a thing. I recommend it. Basically it involves a little redline, from time to time. Don’t abuse your vehicles, but it’s healthy to stretch their legs, from time to time.

As for the additives and concoctions: they’re mostly snake oil. There are a few (like Techron) that have some legit science behind them, but they’re not necessary if you take care of your vehicle — which includes using good gas from reputable stations. If you stick with quality top-tier gas, extra Techron is unnecessary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.