Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2012 mdx July of 2018 with 64k miles with an extended 3rd party warranty. Turning 7 years old, I decided to do the timing belt service at the dealership ($995). If you find a dealership that has a coupon for less than what they offer ($1295), they will honor it. 6 hours later I receive a call from my service manager. He said they spotted an oil leak from the seals of the oil pump. So now this whole service is covered by my warranty...timing belt service and oil pump seals. I must say it was a pretty good Friday.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I am a firm believer of an Extended Warranty. There is no way in hell I would ever purchase a MDX without one. A word to the wise.....Have your chief mechanic, a Certified Mechanic, go over your vehicle from toe to toe and replace everything covered under warranty, about 6 months left in your warranty period. From seals to motor mounts and all in-between. This way, your vehicle will be good for a few years down the road. Acura has this thing about bragging how expensive their parts and services can be. Have everything under the EW replaced. You paid for the EW....so use it to the max and protect yourself and your vehicle from the high service prices. This is the Tip For The Day......No charge to you. And YES.....EW's are covered by 2nd party mechanics.....This I do know.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Just my grain of salt from Canada.

I have purchased my 2008 MDX in 2011 with extended warranty for a huge amount of money (like 3 grand) which I have not used once. So, contrary to other opinions here, it appeared to be a waste of money personally for me.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just my grain of salt from Canada.

I have purchased my 2008 MDX in 2011 with extended warranty for a huge amount of money (like 3 grand) which I have not used once. So, contrary to other opinions here, it appeared to be a waste of money personally for me.
It is on average a huge waste of money. People make loads of dough selling extended warranties. I guess you can come out ahead by fraudulently getting items replaced by unscrupulous mechanics but you can also rob banks and convenience stores.

·
Registered
473 Posts
$3000.00 for an extended warranty is without doubt ridiculous!!!! The Acura extended warranty are negotiable and kick in after the regular warranty! The cheapest i have knowledge of was 750.00 CND You can purchase these through any Acura dealership and they are negotiable. The time to negotiate is at time of purchase to get it included in your final price! These are worthwhile and frankly necessary on any new MDX purchase I would not get a new MDX without one or any new car for that matter.

Do your research and you will see that they are negotiable on price and that they are definitely one of the extended warranties that are actually worthwhile and can easily pay for themselves due to the electrical gremlins that can ultimately cost one thousands in repairs and endless service visits for the dealership to finally get it Correct!

Third party warranty especially those advertising on the T.V stating they take care of all your costs are largely scams and you need to read the whole contract , fine print included to see what you are responsible for!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Who pays $3000.00 for a EW? Sounds like what I'm exactly talking about. Acura owners bragging about who can pay the most for any Acura related service, part, or repair. There are many EWs much cheaper.....

Just take the Torque converter replacement.....Covered under EW....and it will more than pay for its self the first time. What about them faulty motor mounts? Not to mention the starter issues. And the list goes on and on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts