Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance for any advice - I searched this and found quite a few posts with people complaining of vibrations at 70+.

I purchased a new to me 2012 MDX Touring with 70k miles this past July. It came with virtually bald tires, 2 snow tires in the rear, 2 all-season in the front. The car still drove 'great', but I noticed a fairly wicked steering wheel shake between 72-78mph. It would taper out around 80 (of course it's exceptionally rare I'd be driving that fast), but 72mph is a sweet spot for highway driving.The Acura delaer did give an alignment at purchase (didn't seem to make any difference).

Because of the old worn tires I didn't give it much thought or consideration, but I just upgraded to a set of new Continental ContiContact Pro's (they are AWESOME!). The car I thought drove great drives incredible now, the whole feel of steering has changed, and the car sounds virtually silent.

However.... I was really surprised after 4 new tires to find there is still a shake (albeit much less than before) in the steering wheel starting around 72 and tapering out around 78. I did not get a second alignment, and perhaps that should be my next move - but I'm apprehensive to spend another $75 if it's not going to make a difference.

Any advice on anything I can look for before doing another alignment? Fortunately, most of our driving is city driving and it's never an issue.. but the three or four times a year we go on a vacation nothing makes you feel worse than a shaking luxury car you just spent $20k+ on.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Get your tires balanced at a dealership, but they should have done that when installing new tires. From there, check if there is damage to your rim (bent rim). For me, all my shaking went away when I got my tires balanced from the dealership. I've tested going 170km/h on a open road with no other vehicles and the car drives so smooth.
Best of luck

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Balancing makes a real difference at high speeds..
Check your brake rotors as well as they can cause vibrations at high speed if they are heavily warped.

Reactions: gm4511 and Baaj

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks! I'll have them rebalance and rotate... (the thought being if it's a bent rim, the steering wheel shake will go away when put to the back).

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
I would check into doing a road force balance. A tire shop like Discount Tires will adjust the tires on rim for optimal balance and requiring less weights. Sometimes, I have a vibrations a balance just can't seem to eliminate. Doing a rotation or cross rotation always seemed to work to help smooth out the ride. Could it be a suspension or transmission issue maybe? Does the vibration go away at 72-78 mph if you switch to sport shift and down shift to 4 or 5 gear?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts