Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At about 30,000 miles I first noticed the paint peeling on the edge under the window of the rear passenger door of my 2012 MDX. The car has never been wrecked or repainted. When I got closer to 36,000 mi I got concerned about the warranty expiring and called a local dealer. They said no worry, I was fine on warranty and to bring it in at my convenience. When I brought it in they took photos (they noticed a second area peeling inside door jam) and submitted a warranty claim, saying Acura would certainly take care of it. I got a call a couple of weeks later saying my claim was denied because it was out of warranty. After fruitless discussions with Acura I appealed to the head of the dealership. He said he might go to bat for me if I had bought the car from them but since I hadn’t, I should go to where I bought it and appeal to them! That dealer was out of town but I did contact them and went thru the entire thing all over again and was denied all over again. My car now has areas of peeling paint in multiple places. This was a $55,000 supposed “luxury” car. The paint should not be peeling off. It looks terrible. I have resisted paying to have it repainted because of I feel Acura should making this right. This is my first Acura and I guess it will probably be my last. I am totally disappointed with their customer service.
I have seen posts about white paint peeling, primarily on roofs, but mine is Caribbean Blue and peeling in multiple areas. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, how were you able to get Acura to step up? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
This is the first time I hear about paint peeling on a second gen MDX. And come to think of it - at 30K miles? So it must have been quite a while back, like in 2014 or something. I'm curious, what kind of warranty did you have that it expired at 30K miles?

I'm at 170K miles now on my 2008 and never had a paint peeling issue.

I wonder if it could be caused by improper washing or something along those lines.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is the first time I hear about paint peeling on a second gen MDX. And come to think of it - at 30K miles? So it must have been quite a while back, like in 2014 or something. I'm curious, what kind of warranty did you have that it expired at 30K miles?

I'm at 170K miles now on my 2008 and never had a paint peeling issue.

I wonder if it could be caused by improper washing or something along those lines.
My warranty did not expire at 30,000. That’s just when I first noticed the first spot peeling. It was small and I did not take it in promptly. Then as I approached 36,000 I called because I thought thought my warranty expired then but when I called they told me it was 50,000. It was actually 4 yrs or 50,000 but they didn’t mention the 4 yrs part. Of course I should have known this. Anyway, since I thought I had plenty of time to deal with it, I did not take it in until the spot became more noticeable. That’s when they took the photos, found a second area of peeling, and filed the claim. Acura’s response was that the Warrsnty had expired because it had been 4 years. I had called about it at about 3 years and 35,000 mi but they said too bad because I just called but didn’t file a claim. The reSon I didn’t bring it in then was because I was told there was no hurry since I had another 15,000 mi until warranty expired. So they were remiss in not telling me about the 4 yrs and I was remiss about not making sure I knew my own car’s warranty. And I never dreamed this issue would escalate until I now have large, very noticeable patches of missing paint.
I really don’t understand why Acura would not have taken care of this issue regardless of the time issue. It is not a good look for the Acura brand to have my car tooling around Orlando with this shoddy paint job. And as far as I’m concerned, no car’s original factory paint should be peeling off like this at any age. I previously had a 2000 Honda Odyssey for 14 years and it never had any paint peel. No car I’ve ever owned has ever had this happen. And this is the most expensive one I’ve ever purchased. My husband (who is the proud original owner of a 1999 1/2 Toyota Land Cruiser with almost 500,000 miles and ZERO peeling paint) says it looks like my car was not primed properly.
By the way, the car has never been improperly washed, never been thru a contact car wash.
Whatever the cause is, as the years have gone by it has bothered me more and more. The car now has 60,000 miles on it. More areas have started to peel and in the last 6 months the spots have doubled in size. I am embarrassed to be seen in my own car.
I still have not given up on the idea that if I could contact the right person high up at Acura, that they would agree this should never have happened and make it right. Anyone know who is the absolute head of Acura?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
The other possibility is it was repainted/touched up before delivery to you. It's not uncommon for minor damage to occur during transit and the delivering dealer will repaint as necessary. That's more likely the case here because the factory paint on the 2nd gen MDX's has been historically quite good. We also have the white on our '12 and it's in amazing condition now with 145k miles. It has less stone chips than our '18 with 25k miles.

Kind of sucks about the warranty thing but at least a little of the blame falls on you. You may have had a better chance of fighting this if you continued to push it directly after it was denied but at this point you're probably SOL. Social media might be your best bet to get someones attention. A nice twitter post with the picture of the paint and say how they denied fixing it X time after warranty expired but still within miles.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
My warranty did not expire at 30,000.
I see. Looks like your situation is quite unique. I have seen thousands of second gen MDXs around over the years and not one of them had paint peeling. I was also not able to find any references in Google search.

I'm inclined to think the car has been repainted before you took delivery. Peeling and bubbling is a common issue with a shoddy paint job which is done mostly by third parties. If you got your car new, that is unacceptable, of course, and I would fight this with corporate Acura/Honda. I understand the time is not on your side, but still worth escalating IMO.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. The car was 1 year old when I bought it and in pristine condition. I got it directly from the dealer. It was a lease car that was turned in early. They assured me it had never had any damage and I even spoke to the man who had leased it because he left some items in the glove box and I called to arrange to return them. He said he was like the proverbial little old lady who just drove to church and the grocery store. He said he brought it in for service and fell in love with the new RDX while he waited so on the spur of the moment he traded it in. Everyone would have to be lying for this car to have been repainted. And it would have to have ALL been repainted because the paint is peeling on almost every panel.
ah well. I probably am SOOL but the recent progression of the peeling has rekindled my ire about the whole thing. I will definitely try the social media pressure tho.
I actually found quite a few posts about MDX paint peeling but mostly it was the white color.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Hearing about the proverbial old lady driving to church and grocery store would be a number one red flag for me.

Since it was a lease (especially 1 year only), the car might have been in an accident, so the person who leased it might have easily had it repainted and end the lease to avoid getting into trouble.

Also, trading in a 1 year car just because "he fell in love with the new RDX"? Hm, another red flag for me. Paying huge lease payoff just to get to another lease because you "fell in love with a new car"?

In any case I definitely agree - do not underestimate the power of social media as suggested here. I would definitely get the story out, but in a concise and digestible way.

Good luck with getting this resolved! If you don't mind sharing any updates, I think it would be useful for everyone here.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
You can find isolated problems with every car...there's a couple hundred thousand 2nd gen MDX out there so I'm sure some will have paint problems. But it's not a systemic issue such as some Accord colors that have had extended warranties over the years because almost all of them had paint issues. I must have missed where you said paint was peeling off of all the panels...if that's the case it most likely was a factory defect to the primer or something similar. How about the bumpers? They're plastic and typically are painted separately from the metal parts.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hearing about the proverbial old lady driving to church and grocery store would be a number one red flag for me.
I concur, i was once looking for a winter car and came across a car(ford focus) which was apparently driven by a priest from church to home and then sold to a lady at same church and his son was selling it. The car looked immaculate from far and the guy(met him in person) said it was never repainted. On close inspection both rocker panels had paint bubbling up, it was clearly painted as there were other signs too. The suspension was shot. I ran away lol.

·
Registered
27 Posts
wouldn't your warranty have expired in 2015? or is this like an extended warranty you purchased?
wow that peeling is bad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Original 4 yr/50,000mi Warranty expired on time in 2016. I made several efforts to deal with this back then and finally gave up. I am just revisiting it because lately it has started getting worse and I’m frustrated. Photo is of only one of the terrible peeling spots. I know I’m going to have to pay to have the whole car painted and it makes me crazy.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Skinny2- not peeling on the bumpers. Here’s the first spot now. It started out very small but has grown to be quite noticeable.
That looks horrible!

I'm not a car paint job expert, but when I was repainting a spot on my front passenger door at the point of high velocity impact with a raw egg (someone threw a projectile raw egg over the fence from a house I was passing at 50 mph on the adjacent street, which resulted a "web" of damaged paint going right through the clear coat, paint and into the primer), the primer colour was grey. What I'm seeing here is yellowish colour, which to me looks like another argument towards the car having an "aftermarket" paint job done. I might be wrong on this one, as primer might have been different for the later models (mine is 2008), but it's a thought.

All I know is with this type of paint damage you would need a proper full door panel paint job. That goes for other panels also.

What I would start with is with going to a reputable body shop and get a quote from them for a full vehicle paint job. Here in Canada for an MDX I was quoted USD $3500 by an Acura approved body shop (asked out of curiousity). I wonder what the cost would be at your end.

Then I would take this amount and put it into whatever social media post you make. By the way, I'd say it wouldn't hurt to share it here as well once you make it. Perhaps this way you can get some traction faster.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve got a 2012 Blue MDX and I’m having the same problem with the paint peeling. All the doors in same area you have posted.. on the edge of my hood.. front bumper quadrant.. on the roof.. on the back gate. It’s definitely defective paint. Granted my car is 8 years old now;however, my 2004 MDX had no issues when I traded it in in 2015... so I think it’s just the newer mdx’s.

·
Registered
1 Posts
At about 30,000 miles I first noticed the paint peeling on the edge under the window of the rear passenger door of my 2012 MDX. The car has never been wrecked or repainted. When I got closer to 36,000 mi I got concerned about the warranty expiring and called a local dealer. They said no worry, I was fine on warranty and to bring it in at my convenience. When I brought it in they took photos (they noticed a second area peeling inside door jam) and submitted a warranty claim, saying Acura would certainly take care of it. I got a call a couple of weeks later saying my claim was denied because it was out of warranty. After fruitless discussions with Acura I appealed to the head of the dealership. He said he might go to bat for me if I had bought the car from them but since I hadn’t, I should go to where I bought it and appeal to them! That dealer was out of town but I did contact them and went thru the entire thing all over again and was denied all over again. My car now has areas of peeling paint in multiple places. This was a $55,000 supposed “luxury” car. The paint should not be peeling off. It looks terrible. I have resisted paying to have it repainted because of I feel Acura should making this right. This is my first Acura and I guess it will probably be my last. I am totally disappointed with their customer service.
I have seen posts about white paint peeling, primarily on roofs, but mine is Caribbean Blue and peeling in multiple areas. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, how were you able to get Acura to step up? Thanks.
I have a Caribbean blue 2014 suv and just started noticing in the past couple weeks that my paint is peeling on the edge under the window of my rear hatch in two places. Today I noticed there's a peel spot on the edge of my hood. Ugh! This is obviously an issue with the original manufacturing of the cars. There's no way this can be a coincidence with all the posts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Skinny2- not peeling on the bumpers. Here’s the first spot now. It started out very small but has grown to be quite noticeable.
This is exactly what mine looks like. By any chance have you taken your car to get repainted? If so— roughly how much did it cost you? I’m past warranty & trying to debate if it is worth it to me to repaint the car...

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
acura is aware of this and had a TSB issued for white and bali blue colored vehicles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
acura is aware of this and had a TSB issued for white and bali blue colored vehicles.
Do yo know the number for the TSB? I'm having this problem on my Bali Blue MDX as well but can only find a TSB for the white paint job for 2014s and newer.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have a 2013 with paint peeling off the lift gate pearl white after contacting Acura to see if there was a recall or warranty extension I was told no There is one for 2014 with the same issue My next vehicle will not be an Acura that’s for sure

1 - 20 of 20 Posts