Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
I am surprised that there is no mention of the Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) as the source of the excessive oil consumption. FWIW the frequent shutting down of some cylinders in order to increase fuel economy is alleged to be the cause of excessive wear/oil consumption, as well as hesitation when accelerating while the VCM is active. The lawsuit is all about VCM but somehow they have succeeded in not actually admitting it. If I had a gen2 I would put a VCMtuner on it immediately, and be done with the VCM (at a small increase in fuel consumption). As it is I just installed a new "smart" VCMtuner on my 2016; whether or not it will help with wear or oil consumption on the gen3 models it does make driving a bit smoother. Look here: VCMTUNER - Disable VCM / ECO for Honda Odyssey, Pilot, Accord & More.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am surprised that there is no mention of the Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) as the source of the excessive oil consumption. FWIW the frequent shutting down of some cylinders in order to increase fuel economy is alleged to be the cause of excessive wear/oil consumption, as well as hesitation when accelerating while the VCM is active. The lawsuit is all about VCM but somehow they have succeeded in not actually admitting it. If I had a gen2 I would put a VCMtuner on it immediately, and be done with the VCM (at a small increase in fuel consumption). As it is I just installed a new "smart" VCMtuner on my 2016; whether or not it will help with wear or oil consumption on the gen3 models it does make driving a bit smoother. Look here: VCMTUNER - Disable VCM / ECO for Honda Odyssey, Pilot, Accord & More.
No VCM in 2nd Gen MDX

·
Registered
503 Posts
Checking with Wikipedia I see there is some confusion as to which models and years are affected. If you have an "ECO" light you have it, otherwise probably not for gen2. The VCM on all gen3 MDXes has not been shown to also have these problems but given Honda's unwillingness to say anything about it I withhold judgement (and still defeated it).

·
Registered
424 Posts
If someone in your circle has AAA Plus, they can have it towed up to 100 miles, then you pay extra for the mileage after that limit plus tolls (if any)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Checking with Wikipedia I see there is some confusion as to which models and years are affected. If you have an "ECO" light you have it, otherwise probably not for gen2. The VCM on all gen3 MDXes has not been shown to also have these problems but given Honda's unwillingness to say anything about it I withhold judgement (and still defeated it).
Like I mentioned in another thread, there is no 2nd Gen MDX with an Eco written anywhere, lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
We had our car fixed! Our service guy took it apart and found the exhaust valve on one of the cylinders burned. Since we had the car serviced there for the past 8 years and this should not have happened at such millage, Acura picked up most of the repair cost. They told me it's probably not related to excessive oil consumption, but the valve clearance.
As for the oil consumption, we received a letter regarding the current lawsuit and will have the final result this end of May. Most likely, Acura will open another 6-month window for all the affected customers to have it fixed.
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions!

41 - 51 of 51 Posts