Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ughhh replacing front wheel hub bearing and when I used slide hammer it came apart only half came out...been trying air chisel to pry it out no luck so far...any ideas?? Auto part Rotor Clutch Automotive wheel system Gear
Auto part

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Ughhh replacing front wheel hub bearing and when I used slide hammer it came apart only half came out...been trying air chisel to pry it out no luck so far...any ideas?? View attachment 107762 View attachment 107764

all you need is :
https://www.harborfreight.com/20-ton-shop-press-32879.html

Back in a day when i had Infiniti g35 it was wheel bearing disaster. I think changed like total 4 bearings in that car. after first bearing, bough a press. Still sitting at the corner in my garage...

·
Registered
474 Posts
If you have the press you are set. If not you could try a vice and socket or big hammer and piece of pipe. If time is an issue for $35.00 more you can purchase the whole hub assembly which is why they make them as these can be a bear and one ends up damaging the hub in the process.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
You need to remove the knuckle and use a press to get the rest off. Look at what this guy did.

Maybe you can rent it from a parts store. Let us know which kind of press you used in the end. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
May I ask a question about how bearing and hub works. So the most simple bearing is to simply create a hole in the knuckle, press in a bearing, then press in the hub. So hub will deal with the rotational force and the knuckle will bear the weight. Correct? Because all these pressing is very hard and require lots of tools, in a bearing and hub assembly the hub is already pressed into the bearing, and the bearing is also already pressed into a solid piece of metal (which has a hole in the middle). Finally this solid piece of metal is attached to the knuckle. In the case of MDX, this solid piece of metal is attached by four bolts.

But in OP's picture, it seems that this solid of piece of metal is also welded to the dust shield? I cannot see very clearly, but it looks like there is something there. If OP has already removed the four bolts, why not just replace the whole thing? If OP does not intend to replace the whole thing, why removing those four bolts? Thanks for help.

·
Registered
58 Posts
A good air hammer with a point removes this in secs. Not the chisel.

Your doing it wrong too, Don’t hammer between the hub and backing plate like I see your doing in that pic. That does nothing.

You gotta get a good bite onto both sides of the hub area and push hard towards the lip side of it.
These bearings are the easiest ones to do they are a complete hub/bearing unit in one, no press needed guarantee.

Here is a pic on where to air hammer at, do little on both sides evenly secs later its out.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A good air hammer with a point removes this in secs. Not the chisel.

Your doing it wrong too, Don’t hammer between the hub and backing plate like I see your doing in that pic. That does nothing.

You gotta get a good bite onto both sides of the hub area and push hard towards the lip side of it.
These bearings are the easiest ones to do they are a complete hub/bearing unit in one, no press needed guarantee.

Here is a pic on where to air hammer at, do little on both sides evenly secs later its out.

Hope this helps.

Ok I’ll try that with air hammer with point and if that doesn’t work I’m gonna have to take knuckle off which is not what I was hoping for I’ve done that in the past and would not of even tried this if I knew that was gonna happen....

Thx for pic and advise ....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok I’ll try that with air hammer with point and if that doesn’t work I’m gonna have to take knuckle off which is not what I was hoping for I’ve done that in the past and would not of even tried this if I knew that was gonna happen....

Thx for pic and advise ....

Just so I’m clear air hammer is what I have just don’t use chisel get better pointed tip correct??? Says air hammer on it.....?

·
Registered
306 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just so I’m clear air hammer is what I have just don’t use chisel get better pointed tip correct??? Says air hammer on it.....?

Jesus good lord thats your air hammer?
What aisle at Toys R Us did you find it at?
Haha Im kidding..
A regular hand hammer would do more damage then that cute little thing.
You need a real air hammer man!

Ok ok you gotta use what you got I get it, try just using the chisel and bite/hit where I showed you with lots of pressure towards the direction where bearing comes out.
Supposed to use a flat tip chisel or point and your chisel is not flat so its gona be tricky... here is a pic of a real hammer and the attachments.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
This video is helpful

The dust shield is indeed welded to the knuckle. The four bolts just help to locate/align the hub & bearing. The bearing still needs to be pressed in/hammered in. To solve OP's problem, OP can just get two big hammers of proper sizes and bang it out. The key seems to find another guy willing to hold the knuckle for you, haha. Fun times. Buying a hub/bearing assembly is a lot easier, at least one does not need to cut the inner bearing. I would only replace just the bearing if I have a good press.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
BTW, the bearing recommended previously is too big for my garage. If anyone can recommend a smaller good one for Honda, please help. Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok I got it finally my first idea was good but I got wrong bolts..., I though my bolt was 1/2 inch thread 20 and I couldn’t thread it from front of bearing shell. Today I figured it must be metric and found that m12 1.25 pitch was the bolt... thread two bolts from front of bearing shell and used slide hammer!!! Off in 1 minute!!!!!

In words of Johnny drama ....”VICTORY!!!!!”

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This video is helpful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edabaqTXBYw

The dust shield is indeed welded to the knuckle. The four bolts just help to locate/align the hub & bearing. The bearing still needs to be pressed in/hammered in. To solve OP's problem, OP can just get two big hammers of proper sizes and bang it out. The key seems to find another guy willing to hold the knuckle for you, haha. Fun times. Buying a hub/bearing assembly is a lot easier, at least one does not need to cut the inner bearing. I would only replace just the bearing if I have a good press.

Good video I just didn’t want to take knuckle off last time I did that ok my TL the lower ball joint I ruined breaking it free didn’t want that to happen again. But if what worked today didn’t I was going to have no choice..., thx for posting...

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Good video I just didn’t want to take knuckle off last time I did that ok my TL the lower ball joint I ruined breaking it free didn’t want that to happen again. But if what worked today didn’t I was going to have no choice..., thx for posting...

Have you replaced just the bearing or bearing and hub assembly?
How did you put the new bearing/hub assembly back in? I am wondering the assembly is held in place by the frictional force between bearing and knuckle, or by the 4 (or 3) bolts on the 'bearing shell' (your terminology). Thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have you replaced just the bearing or bearing and hub assembly?
How did you put the new bearing/hub assembly back in? I am wondering the assembly is held in place by the frictional force between bearing and knuckle, or by the 4 (or 3) bolts on the 'bearing shell' (your terminology). Thanks.

Bearing hub assembly..., have to get 2 new bolts of the 4 that hold hub assembly in tomorrow as trying to get out I used sledge hammer on the and need new ones..., should have it all back together tomorrow....

·
Registered
2,520 Posts

So you are replacing the assembly with knuckle attached to other suspension parts? How did you manage to get the axle out of knuckle? This saves a lot of work. Finally, I am curious how you can install the new assembly without a press.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Installing:

Center/ align it, use the 4 bolts on back and hand tighten, then use air gun obviously tighten little at a time on each bolt evenly and bearing/hub it slides in easy.

This job does not need a press.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Thanks. Hopefully someone can do a full DIY tutorial one day.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.