Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello-

I am thinking of finally letting go my beloved 2004 MDX. I am interested in a 2012 MDX Tech with almost 80K miles. Appears to be super clean and in great condition. I am struggling with the idea of the vehicle being 7 years old and I could probably get an almost new CRV or RAV4 or something for around the same price $18,000; but I have been a little spoiled with a nicer SUV throughout the years. Any advice from the folks here? Thank you.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
The biggest issue will be the oil consumption issue with the 10-13 MDXs. It can be as bad as 1 quart per 1000 miles. Acura does have an extended warranty to cover the fix. I don't know the limit of when they will fix compared to calling it normal oil burning? I only burn about 1 quart per 8000-9000 mile MID oil changes using Mobil 1 5w-20 in my 11 MDX with +132,000 miles. Planning to keep her for 2-4 more years. Excellent hwy cruiser and very comfy in the front or 2nd row.

Other issues are normal stuff like:
  • can see 14-15 mpg in city driving: bu,t 21-24 on hwy with 6AT
  • 105,000 mile timing belt service can cost $1700 at dealership
  • check for leaks with power steering pump and rack
  • double check Bluetooth module is working (pair phone and do audio streaming)
  • H.I.D. can look a little dim and aimed too low (replaced with OSRAM and adjusted aim)
  • check FOBs for range, range can be as bad as only working a few feet from the MDX
  • I had a torn front endlink boot, tires worn and out of balance, and out of alignment. It rode terrible on the hwy and I thought I made a mistake purchasing my 11 MDX used with 30K on the odo. Corrected all issues and she is solid as a rock at speed of +90 mph.
Acura made zero changes between the 10 to 13 MDX tech other that addition interior colors choices. The only difference between a 13 tech and 10 tech is the blue book price. I was able to get a 11 MDX Adv/Ent for the same price as a 13 tech when I was looking back in 2014.

Reactions: xx_bishop_xx

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The biggest issue will be the oil consumption issue with the 10-13 MDXs. It can be as bad as 1 quart per 1000 miles. Acura does have an extended warranty to cover the fix. I don't know the limit of when they will fix compared to calling it normal oil burning? I only burn about 1 quart per 8000-9000 mile MID oil changes using Mobil 1 5w-20 in my 11 MDX with +132,000 miles. Planning to keep her for 2-4 more years. Excellent hwy cruiser and very comfy in the front or 2nd row.

Other issues are normal stuff like:
  • can see 14-15 mpg in city driving: bu,t 21-24 on hwy with 6AT
  • 105,000 mile timing belt service can cost $1700 at dealership
  • check for leaks with power steering pump and rack
  • double check Bluetooth module is working (pair phone and do audio streaming)
  • H.I.D. can look a little dim and aimed too low (replaced with OSRAM and adjusted aim)
  • check FOBs for range, range can be as bad as only working a few feet from the MDX
  • I had a torn front endlink boot, tires worn and out of balance, and out of alignment. It rode terrible on the hwy and I thought I made a mistake purchasing my 11 MDX used with 30K on the odo. Corrected all issues and she is solid as a rock at speed of +90 mph.
Acura made zero changes between the 10 to 13 MDX tech other that addition interior colors choices. The only difference between a 13 tech and 10 tech is the blue book price. I was able to get a 11 MDX Adv/Ent for the same price as a 13 tech when I was looking back in 2014.
Thank you for the reply. That's a bummer about the oil consumption issue; that was something I had not read on the reviews around the web until I looked for that issue here on the forum. I was aware of the timing belt and MPG issues; that is about the same as I am getting on my 2004 MDX. I actually have a friend here that has specialized in Honda/Acura for 20 years or so. I plan to bring it by to him to check it out beyond the "135-point inspection" that CarMax does.

Found this thread and now wondering what direction to take.

Oil consuption letter

Thank you again for the education.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn, I've spent the last hour or so reading threads about the oil consumption issue. Trying to determine if this is a deal breaker or not. I was planning to buy the CarMax extended warranty, etc but just damn. I was pretty excited about this 2012.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I would see if the 2012 is within the extended warranty period of oil consumption repair. Double-check on Carmax no questions asked return policy. You might be A-OK for oil consumption since it is more miss than hit.

You might be able to look at the M.I.D. oil % level and check the oil level to guess-i-mate oil consumption IF Carmax didn't top it off since the last change AND they filled it up to the max 4.5 quart level at M.I.D. change?

I usually drive 8000-9000 miles between M.I.D. oil changes. That comes out to 800-900 miles per 10% drop in oil %. I'm usually around 1/2-2/3 quart low at 50% oil life or around 4000-4500 miles in. I'm fine with those levels and it hasn't changed since owning the MDX since 2014.

Reactions: xx_bishop_xx

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really appreciate it sir. I've had my 2004 MDX for almost 15 years and almost 201,000 miles on it. I've had some mixed responses from friends of mine that buy/sell vehicles way more often than I do. Mostly pretty positive though as long as it's in good shape. I actually haven't seen it yet, just paid the $400 to get it transferred to West Texas. You seem very happy with your 2011 so that is reassuring.

edit
Just read that you're in Albuquerque. Not too far away here in El Paso.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I’ve made plenty of trips to El Paso in my 11 MDX. Zero issues with all the constant road construction with sh-awd, plenty of power to keep up with traffic, and the A/C will keep everyone cool on triple digit days.

See if you can take the 12 MDX on a extended test drive. You can hit all your usual routes around town, do a hwy run to las cruces or van horn, and have a trusted mechanic check it out. Hopefully, the carfax info matches what the mechanic finds.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you for the advice. I went ahead and made the purchase last night. My mechanic looked it over today and said everything was great. The truck rides super and looks super. My only concern now is this oil consumption. Called the local Acura dealership today and the gal said my truck VIN did not match any recalls. I tried to explain to her that it was a service bulletin but I don't think she understood. Anyway, I will give another call tomorrow and see if I can get the oil consumption test scheduled. Just feeling a little uneasy at this point. Thank you again.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The Oil Consumption issue isn't per se a recall. There is a TSB out and to the best of my knowledge, there is no mileage limit. I bought a 2011 Advance a few weeks ago and had my dealer do a few things for me. (I had a 2007 MDX for many years prior and the dealer knows me well.) While I was there I mentioned the possible oil consumption issue and my service advisor admitted that it's a problem with 2010-2013. He said that they've done the test on about 8 or 9 so far and have only had 1 or 2 "qualify".

Maybe he was just saying that to make me feel better, but point being, a dealer should definitely know about it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Oil Consumption issue isn't per se a recall. There is a TSB out and to the best of my knowledge, there is no mileage limit. I bought a 2011 Advance a few weeks ago and had my dealer do a few things for me. (I had a 2007 MDX for many years prior and the dealer knows me well.) While I was there I mentioned the possible oil consumption issue and my service advisor admitted that it's a problem with 2010-2013. He said that they've done the test on about 8 or 9 so far and have only had 1 or 2 "qualify".

Maybe he was just saying that to make me feel better, but point being, a dealer should definitely know about it.
Thank you for this. I am going to call back today and try to explain a little better or ask for a supervisor. I guess where I'm at now is wondering if I should keep the vehicle. Bought it from CarMax and I have 6 more days that I can return it. I know I can't base my decision on the result of an oil consumption test because it wouldn't be completed on time. I'm at the point where I'm thinking that I purchased an MDX knowing this might be an issue and might have been a mistake. From what I read it seems that it's not a rare issue and it's probably just a matter of time before it affects every engine.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
What is the oil life % now and how many miles since the the last oil change? That isn't a scientific way of calculating oil consumption; but, it might be a quick double-check if the oil life % is below 100%. I think the dealership will change the oil for the consumption test and have you drive the MDX for +1000 miles to see how much oil it uses. Some folks said Acura dealerships will sometimes overfill with 5 quarts instead of the required 4.5 quarts moving the result in their favor.

The only other way is to check your oil, hit the road for a weekend of 500-1000 miles, and see if you have any drop in levels before the CarMax limit runs out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What is the oil life % now and how many miles since the the last oil change? That isn't a scientific way of calculating oil consumption; but, it might be a quick double-check if the oil life % is below 100%. I think the dealership will change the oil for the consumption test and have you drive the MDX for +1000 miles to see how much oil it uses. Some folks said Acura dealerships will sometimes overfill with 5 quarts instead of the required 4.5 quarts moving the result in their favor.

The only other way is to check your oil, hit the road for a weekend of 500-1000 miles, and see if you have any drop in levels before the CarMax limit runs out.
Yes sir. That is what I've been reading as well. I will check the oil life when I head out this morning. Not sure if i would be able to tack on 500-1000 this weekend or before Monday but I will give it a shot. I was hoping it might turn out to be rare instances but the more I read the more I think I'm realizing that even if it really isn't an issue with the vehicle now, there's a good chance there will be in the future. It's disappointing but it is what it is, as they say. I've actually already been looking at CarMax at 4Runners or alternate vehicles.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I've had my 11 MDX since 2014 with 30,000 miles and now have 133,000 miles. My oil consumption has stayed unchanged during that time at 1 quart per 8000-9000 miles with Mobil 1 5w-20 (switch to 5w-20 high mileage when I broke 75,000 miles).

I'm thinking you will still be good to go. the 4Runner will be smaller, less power, truck handling, and probable worst mpgs compared to the MDX. The MDX loves to eat hwy miles and the big girl loves to dance on the curves.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
What do you mean by 'love to dance on the curves'?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I can leave similar size non sh-awd SUVs and smaller CUVs behind once the road starts to get curvy. The sh-awd make my +4600 lbs SUV feel like a lighter vehicle with tq vectoring. It also helps I have the Advance model with larger front/rear sway bars and Adjustable Damper System with magnetic struts/shocks. Pretty much, whatever the posted speed is on a curve is my starting point for going 15-25 mph above that (in dry conditions of course).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've had my 11 MDX since 2014 with 30,000 miles and now have 133,000 miles. My oil consumption has stayed unchanged during that time at 1 quart per 8000-9000 miles with Mobil 1 5w-20 (switch to 5w-20 high mileage when I broke 75,000 miles).

I'm thinking you will still be good to go. the 4Runner will be smaller, less power, truck handling, and probable worst mpgs compared to the MDX. The MDX loves to eat hwy miles and the big girl loves to dance on the curves.
Thank you sir. My mechanic that serviced my 2004 MDX for years and specializes in Honda/Acura thinks along the same lines and he has plenty around his shop and many customers with them. He indicated mine looks great inside and out but of course can't "see" an internal engine issue. Just uneasy because I still have a way out. All other vehicles would be my 2nd+ choices and they all probably have issues of their own.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I just got my oil consumption test scheduled for Friday. I also called Honda USA to get some info and the young lady explained that the oil consumption test, diagnosis, and repair ALL needs to be completed by 9/1/2019. Pretty crazy to have to do this on what would be a vehicle I will have owned for about 30 days by that time.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Acura "should" give you a loaner while the MDX is in the shop if you need the repair. Sometimes they will pay for a rental car if the repair will take too long. I had a full size Chevy extended cab pick-up for almost 90 days while waiting for my Tataka airbag to be repair on my 08 RDX a few years back.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You might be able to look at the M.I.D. oil % level and check the oil level to guess-i-mate oil consumption IF Carmax didn't top it off since the last change AND they filled it up to the max 4.5 quart level at M.I.D. change?
To answer this question, the oil displays 100% on the info screen. And this was the dipstick level after driving home from the office and resting 10 minutes or so. I probably have only put 100 miles on it though; not entirely certain how many miles since they actually did the oil change. Looks about midway through the grid. Just sharing. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
That looks like they only put 4 quarts of oil in at CarMax. No telling what type of oil they used like the recommended 5w-20 or whatever they had on hand.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts