Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that when I start my MDX after a good rain, a SIGNIFICANT amount of water comes out of the exhaust (we had a hard rain last night that lasted most of the night). I do not have water in my exhaust on days it does not rain. I am thinking the design of the muffler is allowing rainwater to drip into the exhaust? Anyone have a similar problem? I saw a post for a 2004 MDX that said they experienced the same thing. They were thinking of drilling a hole near the exhaust tip to allow rainwater ingress to drain out and prevent it from going into the muffler and exhaust piping. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2022 Acura MDX Advance, Majestic Black Pearl, Full Nose PPF, Clear Plex windshield, Ceramic Coated.
124 Posts
I'm assuming you parked the car outside the rain. When the car cools down the exhaust pipe will begin to develop condensation from the inside. Since it was raining humidity is very high so it can accumulate more moisture inside than when it's not raining. Unless there's a ton of water coming out then that's a different story.

Car manufacturer will never design the exhaust as a drainage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm assuming you parked the car outside the rain. When the car cools down the exhaust pipe will begin to develop condensation from the inside. Since it was raining humidity is very high so it can accumulate more moisture inside than when it's not raining. Unless there's a ton of water coming out then that's a different story.

Car manufacturer will never design the exhaust as drainage.
Yes car stays parked outside. I realize the manufacturer would not intentionally design the exhaust outlet to allow rain to drain in, but thought it might have been a design flaw. Good point on very high humidity during rain, but I am an experienced car person (I have rebuilt 2 cars, and do lots of my own routine maintenance), the amount of water coming out of the exhaust after a heavy rain is a lot. Have to rev the engine 6-7 times to get all the water out, you can hear it gurgling in the muffler, it shoots out, probably 2-3 cups per exhaust pipe. But it only happens after a hard rain. It is not radiator coolant water. I'll try to video it next time it happens. Thanks for posting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts