Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed my Cabin Air Filter and noticed an odd filter-like material at the bottom of the plastic housing. The MDX was pre-owned so I'm not sure if someone tried to remedy the infamous mildew smell from the AC. Does anyone else have this in their MDX?

The photo of the cabin air filter housing illustrates where the material was, but I had already removed it and quickly stuck it back in for illustration purposes. It was placed more uniformly and didn't stick out originally.

I've emailed the dealership and am waiting for their response. The material is not dirty nor does it smell.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I've never seen this and my MDX, RDX, or TSX and they all take the same cabin filter. Maybe it is a leftover part from some A/C or heater repair? I use the Fram freshbreeze with carbon/baking soda to help with any mildew smell. Don't know if it is working or I don't have mildew in all 3 vehicles?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never seen this and my MDX, RDX, or TSX and they all take the same cabin filter. Maybe it is a leftover part from some A/C or heater repair? I use the Fram freshbreeze with carbon/baking soda to help with any mildew smell. Don't know if it is working or I don't have mildew in all 3 vehicles?

Thanks, MrGold. I just installed the same air filter. The one I replaced wasn't overly dirty, but I could tell it wasn't new. I hadn't notice that piece until I changed it in the parking lot. At first it looked like a paper towel wedged underneath. I searched for all videos and images related to replacing the Cabin Air Filter and never saw anything like it.

Still waiting on the dealership, but hopefully a couple more forum readers will verify it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Look like sound deaden material. Ive seen material like that on the back side of panels in other vehicles but I've not had a chance yet to take the mdx apart. Do you know if your dash has ever been taken apart for any reason?

Hard to tell from the diagram but it looks like it's part of the lower cover assembly - part number 3.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Look like sound deaden material. Ive seen material like that on the back side of panels in other vehicles but I've not had a chance yet to take the mdx apart. Do you know if your dash has ever been taken apart for any reason?
That might make sense. A mechanic decided to stop a rattle back there and placed it there? That explains why it wasn't dirty-it didn't interfere with the AC airflow.

I'd appreciate it if someone can reply back after using a flashlight to check that area. It was hard to spot in my garage, but was noticeable in daylight. When originally there, the material was barely showing. Much to my surprise it was rather large after I pulled it out. LOL

·
Registered
41 Posts
As one of the previous member mentioned. I think it's some kind of sound deadener, or to prevent rattling of the panels together.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took a flashlight and checked around the area. High above that area I saw identical material hidden behind an upper section, so it is an Acura material.

The mystery remains, however, if it belongs to the section I pulled it from until I dismantle the area or the dealership ever replies back. :)

I've left it off for now and will see if I hear any rattling on my drive home.

Thanks all for helping out. I'll probably try to put it back with a long flathead.

·
Registered
9 Posts
From the diagram it looks like you can just drop the whole plastic piece (#3). Looks like it's just attached with a clip at the front and some circular tabs at the back. Then you can place it back in with out trying to fiddle with a screwdriver.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts