Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new here so hopefully I can get some help with this problem. I have a 2012 Acura MDX (technology pack) with 158k miles and the stereo out of no where stop working. The navigation screen turns on but none of the buttons work or power on. I've check the fuses even change them out. I check every connection behind the stereo in case something got loose but nothing. I even unplug the battery and let it set for a good 30 min and nothing. The weird thing is that the fans on the back of the unit still turn on And even the light for the anti-theft. It still connects to my phone as well. I don't know what else to check or do. I really don't want to take it to the dealer for them to charge me $180 to get a diagnostics and than tell me that i need to buy a new unit. Any help or suggestions plz?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hmm what was the message before disconnecting the battery which made you do all the disconnecting and re-connecting?

The only other step looks like to open the Stereo panel and check wiring to see if any wire got cut or disconnected.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No message at all, it just went death no power. All i did was go to the store, turn the car off come back and the stereo was not powering on. Which i couldn't even use the navigation, information or nothing since it's all sync together. I took it all apart already and didn't see anything. I'm going to disconnect it again and see if i find something. I even thought if maybe the amo went out but if that was the case i don't see how it would affect the stereo not turning on

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hmm that's weird. Only other thing I can think of then is to check if the power button has gone kaput somehow but not sure if you can check just that, may be check with a power tester to see if the cables are carrying current or not?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm that's weird. Only other thing I can think of then is to check if the power button has gone kaput somehow but not sure if you can check just that, may be check with a power tester to see if the cables are carrying current or not?
That's what I was thinking if doing. As for the button i don't know. Bc even if that was the case my knob and buttons for the navigation and information would still work.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Do this:
Press and hold these 3 buttons at the same time for a few seconds and see if a diagnostic screen will come up:

Start the engine first.

Press and hold these button together until a diagnostic screen show up

MAP/GUIDE, MENU, CANCEL

If this doesn’t work I would check the fuse and relay for the audio system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do this:
Press and hold these 3 buttons at the same time for a few seconds and see if a diagnostic screen will come up:

Start the engine first.

Press and hold these button together until a diagnostic screen show up

MAP/GUIDE, MENU, CANCEL

If this doesn’t work I would check the fuse and relay for the audio system

You know i have check the relay, do you know where that is located?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Remove these 4 bolts and pull the stereo unit toward you? I need to clean the dust inside the LCD PANEL View attachment 117328 View attachment 117329 View attachment 117330
Yes but you also see that piece right underneath the head unit and above the money tray. Take that out to. It's just attached with two clips. It's very easy to take out. Once you do that and take the 4 bolts off the stereo will come out. Sorry i havent been able to take my stereo out again for me to take pic. And post them.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Yes that clip attached to the head unit. For my purpose I don’t need to remove the head unit out completely. I just need it a little pull out and I was able to remove the climate control unit with a few small screws and disconnected two connectors on the back. Now I can easily pop out the clear LCD cover plastic and cleaned out the dust. Now it’s dust free. I am sure dust will find its ways back in sooner or later.

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes that clip attached to the head unit. For my purpose I don’t need to remove the head unit out completely. I just need it a little pull out and I was able to remove the climate control unit with a few small screws and disconnected two connectors on the back. Now I can easily pop out the clear LCD cover plastic and cleaned out the dust. Now it’s dust free.
View attachment 117331

Thanks

Nice. I wish my problem was as easy as your.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This happened to me when I had AAA change my battery. The radio lost the serial number and would not accept the code. The dealer told me the radio was bad. I just took the car into another dealer for an oil change. After I got the car back the radio worked. The young women advisor fixed by putting the code in again. I tried for months detaching the battery for hours and nothing worked. I have no idea how she did it, but on the way to the dealer I plugged my phone in and tried the voice commands to play music. I saw my playlist but wouldn't play.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This happened to me when I had AAA change my battery. The radio lost the serial number and would not accept the code. The dealer told me the radio was bad. I just took the car into another dealer for an oil change. After I got the car back the radio worked. The young women advisor fixed by putting the code in again. I tried for months detaching the battery for hours and nothing worked. I have no idea how she did it, but on the way to the dealer I plugged my phone in and tried the voice commands to play music. I saw my playlist but wouldn't play.
I tried all kind of stuff and even call the dealership, and everything they suggested i had already done it at least two or three times. So i found one on eBay and just got it in yesterday. I installed it and boom everything is working. Guessing the stereo i had went completely death.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts