Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to check the estimated remaining oil percentage on the 2012 MDX? If so I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could tell me how. Thanks!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Is there a way to check the estimated remaining oil percentage on the 2012 MDX? If so I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could tell me how. Thanks!
The oil life on the dash just gives a “estimate” on when you should replace the engine oil and doesn’t tell you the remaining oil left in the engine. The best way is to pop the hood and check manually on the dipstick while the car is cool and on a flat surface. I would recommend checking every second time you fill up gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Sounds like you are new to Acura. The 2010-2013 MDX has an really bad oil consumption issue. It can be up to a quart per 1000 miles. I would do like Baaj suggested and check every few fill ups to get a feel for how much oil "might" be consuming per 8000-9000 mile oil change interval. The MDX only holds about 4.5 quarts of oil and you be pretty low if you wait until the oil light comes on.

The oil consumption issue is covered under an extended Acura warranty. Need to take it in ASAP to do a test and schedule a fix if you are effected. I'm only about 1 quart per 9000 miles oil change with +137,000 miles.

Hitting the select/reset button on the steering wheel should show you the oil life % left above the odo reading before the next oil change is due.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just this past Friday, my dealer is asking for Acura 'approval' for this extended warranty. My 2012 (< 70k miles) is burning close to 1 qt per 1k miles. Kinda frightening really. He said they're about 6 months behind on actually performing the service however. :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just this past Friday, my dealer is asking for Acura 'approval' for this extended warranty. My 2012 (< 70k miles) is burning close to 1 qt per 1k miles. Kinda frightening really. He said they're about 6 months behind on actually performing the service however. :(
Isn't it too late to apply for the extended warranty? Didn't that end in September 2019?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Isn't it too late to apply for the extended warranty? Didn't that end in September 2019?
To increase client confidence, American Honda is extending the engine warranty related to oil consumption to 8 years
from the original date of purchase or 125,000 miles, whichever comes first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To increase client confidence, American Honda is extending the engine warranty related to oil consumption to 8 years
from the original date of purchase or 125,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Everyone's input has been immensely helpful. I'm guessing I could locate the original purchase date through the VIN?

Another question which will indicate my ignorance on vehicles and this particular issue. IF an owner of a 2012 Acura which does consume oil at an usually high rate of one quarter every 600-800 miles stayed vigilant as far as topping off and changing oil in theory should the vehicle's engine remain OK over 100K miles? I currently have around 83K?

I have yet to start monitoring oil consumption but will do so.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Everyone's input has been immensely helpful. I'm guessing I could locate the original purchase date through the VIN?

Another question which will indicate my ignorance on vehicles and this particular issue. IF an owner of a 2012 Acura which does consume oil at an usually high rate of one quarter every 600-800 miles stayed vigilant as far as topping off and changing oil in theory should the vehicle's engine remain OK over 100K miles? I currently have around 83K?

I have yet to start monitoring oil consumption but will do so.

Thanks to everyone for their help.
That's what I have been doing, check every few weeks and top up as needed. I have a 2011 with 62k miles.

Also in my experience the high oil consumption happens more on small city runs and less on highway runs.

Btw for your original query, see the attached page from the Manual on how to see estimated oil %
mdx1.png
:)

·
Registered
734 Posts
Don't get your hope up too high. My claim got denied at 0.93333 quart per 1000 miles. They said it is not excessive at that rate, but it will be considered excessive if it is at 1.0 quart per 1000 miles. This is directly from Acura.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts