Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

2012 Acura MDX long crank

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Foodfortacos 
#1 ·
Hey guys so my girl has a 2012 Acura mdx 150k miles that recently started having a long crank. It fires up everytime but just cranks longer than it should before firing up. And this morning she said it struggled a lil more to start than normal. My first thought was maybe coil packs or plugs giving a weak spark, but there’s no misfires that would lead me to think that definite cause, next thought was Mayb faulty fuel pump on its way out? I’m new to the mdx platform so any common issues with long cranks would be much appreciated…it fires up everytime so this isn’t a (long crank no start) situation…at least not yet anyways thanks in advance!

#7 ·
2012 mdx here I got stuck at a gas station after fill up.Would not start even with a jump start! Had to get it towed to my mechanic. I too was thinking about the battery or alternator , starter etc. Mine is close to 160k .
Well guess what? It was none of the above. Acura used shitty ground cables all over and one of the ground cables under battery compartment went bad all he had to do was change the ground cable.
After that I changed the short neg ground cable that connects to the body myself!
I am thinking to do the big 3 cable upgrade with 2 gauge cables from alt to battery.
Watch some youtube videos about the big three upgrade folks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.